Is weed smoke bad for a computer?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by BP to the DP, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Ok so people say that cigarette smoke is bad for a computer, but what about pot smoke? The volume of smoke will be less, but will the computers internals get gunky with res?

2. They will get a resin build up eventually, but not nearly as bad as cigarette smoke. Don't blow smoke directly into your computer, and maybe get some filters to put in front of your fans.

3. As long as you're not trying to get your computer high or something, it should be fine

4. Vaporize! Smoke particles are just as bad for your computer's innards, as they are for your lungs! Do both of you a favor and get a vaporizer!

Granny

5. Hard drive seals break over time...smoke particles will get inside the casing.

6. ya you'll prolly have to just rinse it out in the shower with iso alcohol and kosher salt every once and a while to remove all the rez

7. If you maintain the fans in the comp the smoke SHOULDNT (not saying it wont cause you issues) be a huge issues...

but the first place that smoke hits, the fans... fans slow down, heat goes up, computer dislikes heat.

And you DEFINITELY dont want the CPU fan getting slowed at all...

anyone who wants to maintain a computer should be looking inside the damn box every month or so (more often for those of us who are constantly fucking with shit) to make sure everything is all good in there hahahah

8. you will be fine, just use a can of air every 2 weeks or so, dust will fuck your shit up it doesnt have to be smoke.

9. While I highly respect you :D
    I do have to say that it was found out that if you smoked a j every day for 7 years (or any similar amount) it would have absolutely no negative effect on your lungs, even with the tar. So it would seem that smoking weed out of anything but a blunt shouldn't be an issue for most smokers. For those who smoke much heavier than that for much longer, we can't be sure... but we can know that they won't get emphysema or lung cancer, because it's been proven that smoking weed won't lead to that. Worst thing that the research currently says could happen is smoker's cough, or maybe brown/black lung with an enormous amount of use. Just putting it out there :)

10. Yea I'm planning on buying canned air before my desktop gets here, and I'm gonna clean out every week. With five fans and liquid cooling, i don't think heat will be a problem haha

11. It's terrible for your computer... performance is hindered, it gets lazy, keeps eating power it doesn't even want or need. Starts to do bad in school. Hanging out with the wrong crowd. Heading no where in life. It's time for change...

12. [quote name='"Shirogane7"']It's terrible for your computer... performance is hindered, it gets lazy, keeps eating power it doesn't even want or need. Starts to do bad in school. Hanging out with the wrong crowd. Heading no where in life. It's time for change...[/quote]

Kinda made me.laugh

13. [quote name='"BadRoll"']

While I highly respect you :D
    I do have to say that it was found out that if you smoked a j every day for 7 years (or any similar amount) it would have absolutely no negative effect on your lungs, even with the tar. So it would seem that smoking weed out of anything but a blunt shouldn't be an issue for most smokers. For those who smoke much heavier than that for much longer, we can't be sure... but we can know that they won't get emphysema or lung cancer, because it's been proven that smoking weed won't lead to that. Worst thing that the research currently says could happen is smoker's cough, or maybe brown/black lung with an enormous amount of use. Just putting it out there :)[/quote]

How big were the joints?

14. I have this weird habbit of never smoking near my computer. I blew some bowl hits into the fan a few times then two days later it overheated and the thermal grease dried out.

Fuck doing that.

15. I have had to replace a hdd and superdrive so far from smoke damage and my screen has a perpetual haze from smoke buildup behind the screen. I honestly wish i had not gotten into the habit of smoking around my pc, but am more comfortable replacing fried parts than moving my inhaled objects away from it.

16. I call shenanigans....

And i dont get how you people are fucking shit up that bad with smoke, wtf you doing just blowing the bong hit right into the seal of the HDD to see what happens?? lol

Theres 2 120MM fans right in front of my HDD's any smoke that goes near it is gone in a millisecond... Just make all your fans pushing air out, smoke shouldnt even get in ;)

17. Average sized? I mean it was a real-life study (not a theoretical one) so they were just studying people who had smoked ~that many j's in ~that much time. I'd guess that they averaged around .7gs just cause that's what j's often are, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

18. I really hope you're not serious about this.

19. That will not disperse the heat effectively. You need good air flow to properly cool your system (i.e. you need both an intake and an outtake)

20. [quote name='"Shirogane7"']It's terrible for your computer... performance is hindered, it gets lazy, keeps eating power it doesn't even want or need. Starts to do bad in school. Hanging out with the wrong crowd. Heading no where in life. It's time for change...[/quote]

this is why I only let my computer smoke on weekends.