Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is weed really healthy?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by OvrShot, Jul 15, 2011.

1. I have been a daily smoker for about 2 years now. Recently I have been thinking about how healthy weed is. Pot smokers infamously are known to suger coat their drug use by throwing around the "weed is harmless" tag.

Is weed really harmless? Sure weed may have few side effects on the short term, but what about us long term smokers? Also what is the safe amount of THC consumption? Everything has its limits...before things start getting bad.

Also is dank too good? I only smoke dank and the amount of THC is surely much higher? No one is regulating the amount of THC in the bud, so could we be consuming too much?

I would like others opinions, thanks.

2. Inhaling smoke definitely isnt healthy. But weed smoke is waaaayyy less harsh then cir smoke

3. Storm Crow usually have some cool studies to show...Its more good than bad

4. I'm not really talking about the smoke, but rather the effects of high dosage daily smoking on the brain.

5. #6 YourPerception, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
    Weed is healthier than stress, my friend. No though, it's not healthy. Neither is a lot of shit though.

6. Healthy? Well I wouldn't say that. But I also wouldn't say there are any real negative effects.

7. #8 Storm Crow, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
    Smoking anything is bad for the lungs! WebMD did an article on COPD and smoking. The results were amazing!

When COPD was clinically confirmed though a diagnostic method known as spirometric testing:

• The incidence of COPD among participants who smoked cigarettes alone was 2.7 times higher than among nonsmokers.
    • The incidence of COPD was 2.9 times higher among participants with a history of smoking both cigarettes and pot, even after controlling for other risk factors for the pulmonary disease.
    • COPD risk among people who smoked marijuana, but not tobacco, was slightly higher than among nonsmokers, but the increase was not statistically significant.
    So in terms of COPD, if you must smoke, smoke cannabis! :smoke:

Lung cancer? I think the title of this little article about says it all! :rolleyes:

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news – 2007)[FONT=&quot] Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows[/FONT]

Long term effects?

Long-Term Marijuana Users Suffer Few Health Problems, Australian Study Indicates (news - 1997)
    Long-Term Marijuana Users Suffer Few Health Problems, Australian Study Indicates

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain (news – 2003) Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Minimal Long-Term Effects Of Marijuana Use Found In Central Nervous System By UCSD Researchers (news - 2003)
    Minimal Long-term Effects Of Marijuana Use Found In Central Nervous System By UCSD Researchers

Effects of cannabis on lung function: a population-based cohort study.
    (abst - 2010)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Effects of cannabis on lung function: a population-based cohort study. PubMed Journal article abstract

The pharmacologic effects of daily marijuana smoking in humans (abst - 2010)
    ScienceDirect - Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior : The pharmacologic effects of daily marijuana smoking in humans

I have been using cannabis for over 40 years. :eek: As a medical user (who enjoys the effects) I use more than most. :smoke:

My use of the English language is adequate, I read PubMed medical studies on a daily basis, and I am fairly creative. I think my brain functions quite well considering that I am almost 64 years old. :D

My main problem with cannabis is that I like my pretty blue and yellow pipe a bit too much- when I should be using my vaporizer! I have a toker's cough, which I have cleared up completely more than once, by simply putting the pipe in a drawer for a few days! :p

Now that I have answered your questions, perhaps you will be so kind as to click that first link in my sig, start reading and really EDUCATE YOURSELF! :yay:

Granny :wave:

8. Cannabis has zero long term effects on the brain.

9. Our brain have thc receptors and marijuana doesn't affect the brain in any dangerous way.

10. I think a heavy user could tell you different. Anything in excess isn't good for you physically or emotionally.

11. I've been a mostly heavy user for over 30 years. My cognitive function is just fine, as is my health. It's only bad for you if you let it affect how you handle the business of living.

12. I'm a heavy user, but not as long as you have been..but I still think there are ways of abusing marijuana that can definitely cause a negative effect.

13. True. But that is not to blame on the cannabis, that is to blame on the user. A user can allow cannabis to become too big a part of his/her life. But this can happen with anything. People can allow gambling, computer games, even masturbation to become too big a part of their lives.

14. I know fuck all about the medical side of Cannabis and I wouldn't go so far as to say that Cannabis itself is good for you, but after 10 years or so of smoking on most days, I feel no noticeable effects.
    It's not very precise, but from my personal experience, Cannabis has no major detrimental effects, although I guess it could affect others differently, a lot of my mates say they concentrate less easily since smoking and little things like that.
    Also, inhaling crudely combusted plant matter can't be too good...

But yeah, as long as you're sensible I wouldn't have any worries.

15. Such as? As has been said, that's up to how one fits it into one's life. The plant should revolve around the user's life, not the reverse.

16. Storm Crow deserves a medal for the informative links. Unfortunately, kids and the like would rather start 100 threads on the same topics and beat it to death. I wish people would educate themselves about any activity that sparks their interest before diving in head first. It just proves which direction our society is going, and I can tell you that it isn't marijuana making people brainless, helpless and needy (lazy)....

17. If you use a vape it has no harmful affects at all.

18. She sorta got one just recently...look at her username on her profile. It's red, so she's a member of the VIP group now. Well deserved.

19. Not for everyone