Is Two Weeks Too Long to Let The Branches Hang to Dry?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by posthuman11, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Hi Everyone,

I am planning to harvest according to this stickied thread Simple Harvest and Cure (Step By Step)

However, I have to leave town for two weeks so I wanted to let the branches hang for two weeks, instead of the recommended 72 hours, before putting the buds in a brown paper bag. Will this be too long to let my branches hang? Thanks so much and take care.

2. I would say that's too long, in my experience I find it best to wait until the stems make a snap sound but aren't completely dry. That usually happens between 3 and 5 days... If I let them go 14 that would turn into dust. The general idea is to slowly get the the humidity in sealed jars slowly in order to have the best flavor, smell and thc content. That usually happens for me 2 to 4 weeks after being in the jar and burping them accordingly. I use small hygrometers (or whatever) to know when RH is down to 55-65%. If I let mine to two weeks I wouldn't even wanna smoke it. I'd use it to make concentrates and edibles... Two weeks is way too long imo...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks so much. I think I'll just take the plant with me.

4. What's your humidity?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm not sure since I mistakenly didn't bring the humidity meter with me. I have them hanging in a shed outside where the outdoor humidity is 86% right now.

6. 86! That's not far off from rain. Lol I would just say keep checking them, I just can't give you advice on this one, never done that. Lots and lots of air flow. Can you run a dehumidifier ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes. You leave those buds hanging for two weeks and they'll be as dry as paper by the time you get back. There is a HUGE time difference between 72 hours and 2 weeks my friend. Use some common sense. You want to let them hang just until the snap bends and almost will snap in two...but doesn't. When they reach this point, they need to go into Mason Jars and the lid removed 2 to 3 times a day to let air into the jar. Don't pack the jars too full. You want air to be able to circulate around the buds. Putting your smoke into a paper bag, if it's not extremely heavy and dense and WET buds, is only going to dry your buds out even more. There are threads here on the forum that discuss how to cure. Read them! TWW

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks so much. According to the link in the original post, it says to leave the buds in a brown paper bag for two days after they hang for 72 hours. Are you in disagreement with this?