Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is This True About Weed??

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by the_tobzster, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Hey guys, so I was browsing the internet about weeds effects on asthma and it came up with one of those yahoo answers about your heart beating faster after smoking weed.

One of the comments was something along the lines of:
    "Your chances of having a heart attack after smoking marijuana is five fold"

This can't be serious can it? Recently I haven't been able to enjoy weed as much as I used to for fear of my breathing(asthma) and my heart beating much faster, which has always happened but can be worse depending on how strong and the grade of the kush. I am so sick of all these people spreading shit about the herb I never know what to believe.

Sent from Space onboard the Galactic Bluntship

2. I've never heard of any one having a heart attack from weed, so I wouldn't worry about. As long as you're chill and think, "It's normal for my heartbeat to increase" you'll be fine. It's all in the mind man.

3. #3 450outlaw, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    I am pretty sure weed lowers your heart rate, don't trust Yahoo answers.

4. the people that died from "weed" most likely already had a form of cardiomyopathy and smoking might have caused an arrhythmia..the effects on the heart are still being studied but no it doesnt increase the chance of a random heart attack in people with healthy hearts

5. I've heard this before. And I think its more that you have a bad heart to begin with than it is cannabis is bad for your heart. If you have a bum ticker, sex can kill you.
    Doesn't mean good sex is going to kill everyone.

As to what to believe, as tmk once said, go for direct experience. Its all about what you think man. If you have concerns for your heart, then be proactive about that.
    But don't let everything you hear shake you to your foundation.
    This may or may not be applicable, but here it is. I love tmk.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNAOk1bMDw

6. Its not implying you will just have one from toking, its saying if you have an unhealthy heart, it COULD catalyze the situation... not that its assured too though

7. first and foremost, yahoo answers is a terrible source of information for the most part. weed typically does speed up your heart rate though, so if you have heart problems its worth considering. to say smoking increases your risk of heart attack by 5 times is a stretch, though there is some merit to it. 

8. A lot of those sorts of side effects can diminish with regular use. If it's your first time smoking it could sure raise your heart rate, but an experienced smoker will usually not experience as much of that. Once mind and body are acclimated to the medicine it's remarkably benign.

Actually 5 times is not a stretch.  Let's say your chances of having a heart attack at any given moment is .01%.  You smoke week and the chances of having a heart attack at that moment increase 5 times to .05%.  Still statistically insignificant.

10. I think if you have a personal or family history of heart problems you should probably be careful with weed. But from what I've read, the risk is about the same as it would be if you had sex. Probably also the same as it would be if you went out for a run and weren't in condition.

11. If you have a bad heart to begin with, it could exasperate the situation, but not by 5x.

If you're healthy, it's all in your mind: put on some tunes and chill.

Marijuana can raise heartbeat, but not to dangerous levels if you don't let yourself freak out.

/thread

12. Good argument, my my heart definitely runs a lot faster after ive been running or having sexy time with the ol lady.
    Sometimes if im super super super baked though, I tend to get carried away in anxiety about my life issues, and how ill take care of them and blah blah and mt heart will start fucking pounding.

But what can ya do, life is a roller coaster between the dumps and the high life.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. My dog had a heart attack after I gave him a hit of marijuana. I don't know how I've always been fine with it until my one particular incident

14. Mine increases as if I just went for as run but I don't feel like I'm at risk for a heart attack when I run so I don't think it's worth worrying about.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. #15 magoo657, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
    Your increased heart best, is a common symptom of THC, and there is nothing to worry about. Just put on some tunes and chill, play some games whatever! Happy Smoking!

16. I dont trust the information. I read it before and it made me paranoid until I thought some more about it.

The people who made this claim clearly don't have a clue. They didn't say anything about the strength of the weed, the cannabinoid compounds in the weed and how abundant each compound was. They said nothing about how much was smoked, what delivery method was used or the age/sex that the conclusion applied to.

It's easy to see how the variance in the factors, of such a test needed to make a claim like this are so important, so its also easy to see that anyone who simply says "smoking marijuana can increase your heart attack risk by five fold", is greatly biased toward cannabis prohibition and is probably being influenced by some other entity that favours prohibition as well.

For example :

Subject A is 25 years old, clean health history, good BMI, mentally and physically well, lives an active lifestyle, eats a reasonable diet, has smoked for 8 years, has a good toleration to weed and smokes a dab of 97% THC BHO.

Subject B is 60 years old, clean health history, slightly overweight, mentally and physically well, not very active, eats a slightly unhealthy diet, has only smoked on and off for a year, doesnt have a high toleration for weed and smokes a dab of 97% THC BHO.

The results of these two scenarios are going to be monumentally different and for this very reason and the wealth of evidence against the claim, my opinion is it's a load of shit, almost insulting.

17. "Weed WILL KILL YOU". Lol not at all but that's how easy it is to post on yahoo answers. Just some dummy against pot putting his comments in. I wouldn't worry about it. Just chill and smoke away my friend.

18. while I agree with you that these types of studies are generally biased and not completely transparent about their findings, I hope you give scientists enough credit to know that the spread between participants would not be anywhere near as great as what you have described

19. Of course the subjects in the experiments would be more closely controlled but i just mean to say there is a huge difference between how the average person uses weed.

Like some might smoke thc heavy sativa in a bong, whereas others might smoke indica joints, there is a huge difference in the two practices and the scientists using a blanket statement on such an intricate and complicated subject is borderline retarded, if not sinister!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. #20 bigcat13, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
    I'm only going from my personal trials and I test this all the time
    My rested heart rate ~50 bpm
    Average heart rate 1 hour into my 2 hour workout ~120-150 bpm
    Heart rate immediately after finishing and emptying out my vape bowl ~120 bpm
    30minutes later 120 bpm
    1 hour 100-120 bpm
    2 hours, anywhere from 60-100 bpm, seemingly dependent on the weed

If I need to explain what this means, please ask me to

Edit, I'm 6'0", 165 pounds, and very, very healthy