Is this soil good for seedlings/sprouts?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by deadkndys, Mar 27, 2012.

1. #1 deadkndys, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
    So I was going to get MG seed starter soil but this had two more quarts and was the same price.

My question is that is this soil good to start seedlings/sprouts?
    I only plan to use it for 3-4 weeks then I am going to transfer them into 3.5 gallon pots with FFOF.

[​IMG]

2. Can you say the ingredients of it and what it consists of?

3. #3 deadkndys, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
    From the bag:
    "Made primarily of coir,a renewable resource harvested from cocoanut husk."

(95% coconut fiber,perlite, humates and fertilizer derived from aerobically composted turkey litter and hydrolyzed feather meal) .06-.03-.03

4. I normally use cheap generic potting soil bc it has no additives and easier to control feeding later, but I have recently used a seed starting soil and liked it, as for that brand tho in your picture I have tried it

5. Coco is a wonderful media for starting seeds and it is what I use 99% of the time. I think this stuff should be fine, although... Most coco growers prefer clean, untreated, coco for their young plants.

It would be wise to fill your starting containers (seedling tray or party cups or whatever) with the coco and to completely flush the stuff before planting your seeds. That's what I would do.

Don't use too much of this stuff. You'd be best served by a few ounces of the media to just get your seedlings up to the 3rd or 4th node (4 to 6 ounces is plenty). Then, with a root system that more or less fills this starting container you can easily transplant to the FFOF and hit the ground running.

6. Yeah I saw a thread somewhere and it said to flush it with hot water because of sea salt.
    I poured hot water about 2-3 times per cup is that enough?

7. I don't think the hot water would make much of a difference but it wouldn't hurt either. I just use regular tap water and an EC meter to watch the runoff. Without an EC meter you are going to be doing it blind, so just flush excessively and hope for the best.

Most people aren't using hot water to pre-flush their coco but I'd be interested to see how it works for you. Maybe that person is on to something...