Is this phosphorus defficiency? (pics included)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 3Deez, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Got home after a week on the road and found my girls with what seems to be a phosphorus defficiency:eek:!!! They are now into their 3rd week of flower and the have these brown spots on some of the leaves while a few are all brown and shriveled up...some leaves even fell off the plants altogether. Both plants have leaves like this in various parts both top and bottom.

I consulted the grow bible and in the defiencies chapter there are some poor illustrations so I also reffered to the Marijuana Garden Saver book where there are full color photos and the pics look just like what I have. I snapped some pics and will attach them here. While I was at the hydro store before I came home, I was going to grab some Beastie Bloomz and Cha Ching but they were out of BB. The guy there told me that if I wanted something really good for buds and at the same time organic, I should try the Guano Company's Budswel...so thats what I got.

I mixed 1tbsp budswell, 1.5tsp big bloom and 1tsp Tiger Bloom(all half of the prescribed doses) to 1 gallon of water. Is this enough to get me started on correcting my problem? How long will it take before I can tell? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Uh...bump:rolleyes:

3. ...what kind of soil are you using?
    ...how long has the plant been in that pot? (when was the last transplant?)
    ...indoors/out?
    ...do you pH adjust your water?

4. -I am using Fox Farms Ocean Forest with perlite and light warrior mixed in.
    -The plants were transplanted 3 weeks ago (approx).
    -They are indoor plants
    -I ph my water using lime juice which usually takes me from 7.8/8.0 down to anywhere from 6.3/6.8. I wonder if the lime juice might be blocking something out that the plant needs? I got the idea from another member here and its also in the Grow Bible. I also got some organice pd down yesterday that I may start using just in case.

[quote name='Ratch33']This would help, atleast i hope it does...

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute...html?highlight=easy+deficiency+and+nute+table[/QUOTE
    Thanks. I saw this table in my research and yes it did help me out. I appreciate the reply.

5. Sweet bro.

6. Cal mag! Or Epsom salt, just finished a class at oaksterdam for hort and saw a sample very similar to yours and in needed cal mag, or cheaper Epsom salt..don OD it with the stuff but a healthy dose,, then wait a week and watch. The damaged leaves won't heal, so just track if it spreads...oh and this of course is just my personal opinion. Also make it a regular add To your mix.

7. a phosphorus deficiency usually has really purple stems. from your picture it looks more like a calcium or magnesium deficiency like diegodog said. find some good calmag for it and see how it turns out. if that doesnt fix it..you might want to change your water source.. a high ph will lock out nutrients. try testing your run off ph next time you water.

8. ...3 week and it's either time to fertilize or transplant with the FFOF...I personally would simply transplant into a bigger pot with some fresh FFOF....

...as far as the juice goes as pH down, sure it is acidic....however, any preservatives that maybe added into the juice will kill the microorganisms......salts, chlorine, or preservatives will dehydrate and wipe out the microherd your plant is depending on.....so, I wouldn't use it. I use RO water whlie growing to prevent any pH adjustment.....but if your stuck with tap water, let it sit out 24 hours before you pH adjust/use.

9. Thanks for the feedback everybody. I do have some purple stems on the plants that lead up to the affected leaves also. I should have taken pics of them also. I will get some up tonight (I use my light cycle at night).

Also, how do I use epsom salt? Do I put it in water and feed or as a top feed? What dosage? Thanks again!

10. Okay...I took some more pics of the girls. I did notice that all the affected leaves have purple stems...so does this mean P deficiency or am I still in the window for Mg deficiency? Please any help is appreciated. I gotta do more traveling this week so my girls will be in the care of someone I trust to water but they wont know what to do for this sort of thing. Thanks.

Attached Files:

11. Looks like Calcium deficiency to me, not Magnesium. Pick up some Cal-Mag+ or some other calcium supplement.

12. purple stems for leaves is normal but when the stalk turns dark purple its usually an indication of a ph defeciency. i still say its more of a calcium/magnesium deficiency what nutrients are you feeding it and how much?

i highly suggest switching to distilled water and adding calmag to be on the safe side.

did you ph your run off water yet?

13. Hey Triple D :wave:.

Ya, what u got goin on there is a normal P def during flower.

The stems are purpling up too, so that nails it.

Even tho it looks unsightly, this is a normal progression of the
    weed plant when it is coming to the end of its life and feels the
    need to reproduce. Outside plants do this too, this time of year.

Things should even out over the next cuppla weeks, and the plant
    will slowly begin to look like a beautiful fall Maple soon.

I personally enjoy this look lol.

U can feed her extra P, but it dont do much.

She is programmed to do this.

Freak
    :smoke:

14. Thanks everyone! I am nuting my plants with 1.5 tsp big bloom, 1 tsp tiger bloom and 1 tbsp budwel bat guano to 1 gallon of water every third watering... I was also adding 1tbsp molasses but I read this does nothing until the end of flowering? All of these doses are 50% of the suggested dose on the lables. Should I go full dose on the organic nutes? The only thing that is not organic (according to what I read) is the tiger bloom. For the big bloom and the budswel, should I go full dose? Or should I just increase the frequency of feedings i.e. feed every other watering instead of every 3rd feeding?

Also, for future reference, when should I add Cal-Mg as part of a normal program? As for the water, I was supposed to get an RO system on my house but some things came up for finances so things got re-routed:rolleyes:. Right now, I just aerate 5 gallons of water for 24 hours. I stopped with the lime juice for Ph and got some organic ph down which works great. My run off was 6.9/7.0...so I gotta figure out how to get it a bit lower.

15. PureWaterClub.com

first thing you need to do is stop using tap unless you know the PPM... use R.O. water from the store till you hate it and click the link and get a R.O. home unit

secondly you need to stop using lime juice... it works but the PH will climb very quickly... its not a long term kinda thing

we need the PPM of the tap and the PH of the runoff....

it could be as simple as a P def. or it could be way worse....

we kinda need more info...

Hanna Combo Waterproof pH/EC/TDS/Temp HI-98129 Hanna Combo Waterproof pH/EC/TDS/Temp HI-98129
    this the PPM/PH/EC pen you should get... i know you wont but ill post it anyway for future reference

General Hydroponics pH Down Liquid - Quart General Hydroponics pH Down Liquid - Quart
    8 bucks for the PH down...