Is this how to germinate? or how not to germinate

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mrsoft47, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Hey, I'm having mixed results with germination.............

So far I've killed about 14 seeds and counting.... my best results thus far have been with free seeds.... they just pop up.......

I have a 65watt philps cfl for vegging.....

so far i have had two strawberry cough seeds..... cooked
    I placed them in a plastic container on top of the 65watt - the seeds opened and then that was it...., but i'm gathering that they did so because of the great amount of heat.......... the water and paper towel method was used.....
    next some big bud x northern lights.......
    placed on top of a transformer for my modem....... no go, no sprout, nothing - probably too cold - paper towel method

O.k. I'm desperate now

I just tried a GHS Big Bang Femmed, It sprouted along with a mongrel seed, and then stopped in it's tracks, I mean the seed germed but it got to the point where it should expose the leaves but instead the seed top just stayed on for a couple of days and then nothing..........

I just placed the seed in a pot of coco/perlite with a Rock wool cube near the light....... PH 6.5, as I said the mongrel sprouted but BIG BANG, gave me no Bang,

So here are some pics, the pot on the left has a seed in it, the pot on the right doesn't,

-the left pot hasn't germed, but it's been in the rock wool for at least 24hrs and i can't see anything happening.........

so I have the empty pot just warming up the rock wool about and inch - inch and a half away from the light

What am i doing wrong?

cheers

Attached Files:

2. put the seeds in a napkin and wet it. Place that napkin in a container thats sealed and put that in a dark place. Once it cracks , put in in the medium your going to start with.

put that in the dark until the sprout comes out , then put it under the light

3. no need for heat? or anything? just in the dark............. then pop in the soil... how about room temp... is that to cold for a seed?

cheers

4. no need for heat or anything. place it in a cool place in the dark. check it daily and add water if it drys. it will crack in the napkins and once it does , plant it. You can put that in the dark as well until it pops out of the medium. then your good to go

5. can i use toilet paper?

or my wife suggested cotton wool would this be better? oh yes it's always the wife that's a black widow!!!!!:smoking:

6. one last question...

can i just pop it straight in rockwool cubes? apparently these are excellent for germing? just what i've read...

also i have followed your advice and set some in a paper towel W/O any type of heat just room temp so i'll check them in a couple of days..........

7. do this step by step...guarantee it will work..i only learned about growing since last week and i got my seed to germinate.....get a couple of seeds or seed...put it in a cup of water and leave it for 24hrs..the next day tap on top of each seed with ur finger and if it is still floating after you tapped it dat means its no good..throw it away...but the ones you tapped and fell to the bottom, place those seeds in a damp napkin and put the napkin in a plastic baggy(i used a weed bag i had)...put it in ur draw or closet in the dark for a day or two and check on it, you will see a little white tail that had emerged from the seed..if you see it then its the right time to plant it

8. Yea just pop em in the cubes with small holes.

9. cheers all will keep ya posted

10. ok........ here we go.... I've finally got one of my seeds sprouting after 24hrs in a paper towel at a cool 24C

so I'm not out of the woods yet but i am sure that this will be the end of my problems with germing....

cheers all for the help

For everyone else --------- be careful of ur temp - I had my rockwool cubes on a test in the dark away from my lamp and the cube temp reached 34C.......

Also i was using heaps too much water..........

again cheers all for ur help

11. This is just my two cents- if your having these problems just in the germination phase, I cannot forsee the outcome of your experiment. Good Luck!, and if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

12. well, i've actually already grown under my current setup and got 2oz of one plant...... it was mongrel seed and sprouted easily.....

But i must say that i really learn't from this.

heck i've got 3 small girls with some small buds now.... so it really is germing i was having problems with..

But thats what forums are for oh yes and google & google books :smoking::smoking:

13. I give my seeds a short soak and then plant a 1/3" into soil mix. Nice and fluffy, pre watered and given time to drain. I put them under the lights right away, I find the extra warmth helps, if they dry out before they pop up I give them a splash of water. 3 to 5 days on average and they are up, could be a little longer though depending on vigor of seed and conditions.

So far 100% success rate with this method for me.

14. 24C is 75F - about perfect.

15. yes it is! but here's the burn, i kept going by how it felt in my cabinet, but i didn't have a thermometer..... it goes to show that having the right tools and method really go hand in hand, .....

no joke... i now have six seeds germed 2x big bang, 1 x thai super skunk , 3 x freebie seeds

thanks again for everyones help