Is this gal big enough to take cuttings for cloning?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jaded1983, Dec 31, 2008.

1. #1 Jaded1983, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2008
    Shes about 2 months old and about 2' tall.. is it safe to take cuttings?

[​IMG]

2. #2 Oakmann, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2008
    You're probably good if it's been vegging that long, hard to see without pics, but I believe if your plant like at least 5 or so nodes you can clone from it. Good luck!

edit: Oh hell yeah that things big enough to take clones from! Have at it!

3. can i take clones just before harvest? i dont have a seperate room for different lighting.. since im gonna go 12/12 with HPS soon.

4. do it before you switch to 12/12. its too late before harvest. you can wait until you see the sex but it is harder to take cuttings imo. if its a dude chuck it unless you want to make seeds:)

5. umm i thought if u take a cutting from a female its gonna stay a female.

6. #6 Let-it-grow, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009

if the mother is a female, the cuttings will be as well. regardless of when theyre taken. the later on in the flowering stage that you take clones. the harder its gunna be

7. gotcha thx

8. no problemo

9. How long should i leave the cuttings in a bag for humidity? and does it matter if the leaves are all smushed close to gether.. i didnt have any big bags, none of the leaves are getting broken but just smushed together.

10. heres some pics... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. tree looks awesome

12. Looks plenty big to take cuttings. I like to take my cuttings from the lower branches. Some people like to take them from further up, but my way works for me. ( nice work on your plant, by the way).

You can take cuttings up to 3 weeks into 12/12, in fact, there is a thread on here somewhere about a guy that does this routinely. I have even rooted clones that were in full bud. The clone will grow slowly at first, but after about 3 weeks under 18/6 or 24/0 lighting, it will blow through the bud with 4-6 main stalks. This method is cool because it gives you a lot more budding sites. I just recently did this with a purple kush girl that was grown from a single seed found in large pile of buds.

Right now she is about 30" tall, with 5 main shoots, and is growing to town.
    You should be good to go if you take cuttings later on, maybe up to 3 weeks into flower.

13. #13 Jaded1983, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
    okay so i got a terrarium like most people do.. is this how you do it? i taped the vents to keep the humidity in.. right?

better than zip lock bags IMO.. more space without smushing the leaves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the one issue i see is the masking tape stops light from getting in on the top.. or is this not an issue? or should i just put see though plastic over the top like cling wrap?

feed back pls!

14. feedback please good bad? okay?

15. Get rid off most of the masking tape to let the light in. Fill the bottom of that terrarium with a small bit of ph balanced water (less than a cm above the rockwool base and let the plants breath with a a couple small holes at the top for ventilation. Just my 2 cents:smoke:

16. okay thank you i just did that.. we will see how it does.

17. Ohhh sheesshh....is that aluminum foil on the wall????
    If so, please take it off, it will cause you more problems than help you. Your better off spending the money on Mylar, or white reflective paint.
    BTW your mother looks healthy and strong to take quite a few clones from. I don't like to keep mine in bags, instead a clear plastic tent with 2" holes that i can spray through with a spray bottle to keep the humidity up, IMO it works better.

18. Yeah, She is good enough to clone...

But i got some Advise for you that does not relate to cloning tho...

on the first picture you posted... (post #1) you girl looks to have a little to much nutrients in the soil... by looking at the bottom leaves they are browned on the tips and have a burnt apperance... could be a couple things...

1. PH level ( this could cause salt build ups...)
    2. Nutrient Salt Build up (and that would also affect PH)
    3. Your Feeding A Little Too Much (which can cause the 2 problems above)
    4. Your Not Flushing Your Pots (which agian can cause problems 1 and 2)

My best guess is this tho, because issues 1 and 2 you would notice your plant withering and dying within 24 hours... my guess is number 3, you just feed a little much... and maybe your not flushing as much water as you should when you do flush...

flush wont hurt your plant at all as long as you let the excess water drain off and allow time for the soil to dry out a bit for the roots to get oxygen... as a matter of fact flush is just as good for plants as feeding them, not feeding them during a flushing cycle will not give your plants any lack of food, they will just simply use what is left over in the pots...
    (do you cook big meals for your self 3 times a day for 7 days a week, or do you give your self time to eat the left overs ? same idea...)

but im not saying your not flushing, my guess is your just adding a little too much nutrients when you do feed causing the plants leaves to burn like that i see in you first picture on this post... its not a bad ammount of burnage... but if not care ful it can ravage the plant causing it to spread turning a lighter green, yellowish, then brown the leaves will curl claw, and the plant will sag, like it is rolling over and dying...

if you ever see that happen immediatly flush the pot with 3 to 4 times the ammount of water it would take to compleatly saturate all the soil in the pot...

19. oh yeah one more thing, you don't want you plants to have the over nutrient brown spots like that when you harvest, the smoke wont burn right may snap crackle and pop and also it will smoke harsh... and not taste as good...

flush the last 2 weeks of flowering to get all that nasty nutrient shit out before you harvest...

i am sure you know all this i just like to watch myself type :smoking:

20. yeah washedmuthafuka (sp) also is right...

if that is aluminum foil take it down... not trying to tell you what to do it is your grow, and maybe you use it successfully... BUT

aluminum foil is bad, it causes hot spots in your grow room, over heating your plants on some area's and killing those spots, I.E. using a reflective panel when sun bathing and you get up and have a nasty sun burn...

it will also make your grow room hotter because of those hot spots making cooling harder or ventilation more often (if you use CO2 you want to keep venting to a minimum) just over all aluminum foil is bad

the best things to use....

Flat white paint it reflect 90% of all light that touches it, so if your wall are white in your grow room, please use the white paint and not the aluminum foil...

and Mylar... Mylar is and always will be the best, but white paint is next to just as near as good as mylar... so if you dont want to or dont have the extra money for it... you get just as good results from plain old white paint...