Is this Ca/Mg lockout or something else?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by cdphalanx, Oct 9, 2012.

1. I just got back from a long weekend away and had my buddy monitor while I was away, but he hadnt mentioned noticing this and I did not see any hints of it prior to friday afternoon.

The attached image is one of 2 leaf sets that look like this, but it does look like more might go this route. too early to tell.

I did some searching on GC and the web and my best guess is that this is an Mg lockout. Likely because the solution I have in there currently has 1/4 dose nutes and RO water. Thinking that adding a helping of Ca/Mg will help out.

18/6 light schedule. plant is in veg recovering from root rot
    feeding/watering flood/drain - 15min on, 2hrs off during light. no watering during dark.

Air temp 80f
    water temp 74f
    humidity 55%

Attached Files:

2. #2 WaxPayne, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    Looks more like a nitrogen deficiency but I'm not an expert. I would up the strength of anything high in Nitrogen you are feeding the plants then give them some time to green up. If that doesn't work there are a vast amount of other possibilities . Might have been caused by the rot but I'm unsure

3. Yeah, right now Im giving it an extremely low dose of nutes in the res. I wanted to keep things as basic as possible while the plants recover, but I can probably get back to another schedule pretty soon.

The one other plant is not showing the same symptoms, but also had a much different experience w/ the root rot (tried different things with different plants to see what worked best) and that plant just shot out a nice long healthy white root over the weekend that was not even visible when I last saw it.

4. [quote name='"cdphalanx"']Yeah, right now Im giving it an extremely low dose of nutes in the res. I wanted to keep things as basic as possible while the plants recover, but I can probably get back to another schedule pretty soon.

The one other plant is not showing the same symptoms, but also had a much different experience w/ the root rot (tried different things with different plants to see what worked best) and that plant just shot out a nice long healthy white root over the weekend that was not even visible when I last saw it.[/quote]

Aww a hydro grow. Well I have had no experience in hydro , but I highly suggest the famed "Lucas Formula" , if you dont known wjat that is, don't ask about it, find the thread or visit the website. I use Lucas on my soil grows with no issues and it's very easy . I also add some other important supplements to it like CalMg, flora nectar , superthrive, etc etc.

All strains react differently to nutes and all plants have different genetics. You might just have a bad plant but I wouldn't go thinking that until you try the previously mentioned methods first.

I'm sure there will be another user on here soon that has more knowledge than I

5. I have been reading up on the Lucas Formula for a couple weeks, actually. Just havent decided if I want to give it a shot yet. I went way over my intial budget for getting my setup going, so Im just going to roll with the nutes Ive got (H&G Aquaflakes) and follow their schedule until I run out of this set of nutes, then Ill probably try out Lucas.

6. [quote name='"cdphalanx"']I have been reading up on the Lucas Formula for a couple weeks, actually. Just havent decided if I want to give it a shot yet. I went way over my intial budget for getting my setup going, so Im just going to roll with the nutes Ive got (H&G Aquaflakes) and follow their schedule until I run out of this set of nutes, then Ill probably try out Lucas.[/quote]

Lucas is cheap. Go to amazon , get the three part GH nute system for under $30. Once it comes , look up how to make Lucas formula, ph the formula between 5.9 and 6.5 , add to res , set and forget . The Lucas formula uses just the bloom and micro nutes but you could save the grow for veg and cutting cycles. You can even add a small amount of the grow to the Lucas formula .

7. #7 cdphalanx, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    Oh trust me. Its not about the money. I know LF is cheap and easy.

I just set a budget and blew it away initially and dont 'need' to spend any more $$ on stuff until I have a better understanding of the pure basics. $$ can only get you so far. At some point, experience needs to be earned, not bought. Thats my only reason for not wanting to do much else in terms of helping this particular plant out by buying more products.

Its a principle thing.

8. [quote name='"cdphalanx"']Oh trust me. Its not about the money. I know LF is cheap and easy.

I just set a budget and blew it away initially and dont 'need' to spend any more $$ on stuff until I have a better understanding of the pure basics. $$ can only get you so far. At some point, experience needs to be earned, not bought. Thats my only reason for not wanting to do much else in terms of helping this particular plant out by buying more products.

Its a principle thing.[/quote]

That's a great way to look at it. A lot of people spend soo much on nutes and then hardly use them. I used GH because it is the most basic and cost effective complete nute system. I too am still learning how plants react to nutrients but once I switched up to flower I tried using Lucas after not seeing much results. After using Lucas I am seeing better results. Tighter nodes , and bigger buds which is what I wanted to begin with. I slowly added some hygrozyme my friend gave me to help root stimulation and calMG and superthrive (still not sure about ST during flower but it did help during transplants in veg). I also use botanicare sweet raw for some carbohydrates and since it isn't flavored I wont have to worry about the weed losing its original taste.