Is there more than one universe?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by 56er, Mar 24, 2014.

1. I was just thinking, how do we not know if there's more than one universe? If our universe is infinate, can there be another universe?

2. Like a Multiverse? :cool:

3. I think that math says there are 7 universes, comfortably.  I read that.

4. I've never been to any alternate universes nor have I heard of anyone doing so, but I'd like to think that there could be. I try to keep my mind open about such things.

5. what about dreaming?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I wasn't a big fan of the new Cosmos when Neil said about universes in bubbles cause it seemed like he was going about it as it was a fact.. Provided the universe continues expanding, we will always appear to be in a bubble. Based on the rate of expansion, we will never be able to see anything outside of around 45 billion light years. So it'll seem like we're in a bubble with a diameter of 90 billion light years, but that doesn't mean there isn't an infinite universe outside of our visual range. I don't believe in multiverses, just one infinite universe.

7. Yeah the concept of "multiple universes" is basically just a complete contradiction. Universe is a singular phrase, there's only one universe. Basically if, theoretically, there were to be "another universe" it would just be included as a part of the one universe, same for however many other "universes" there may be. It's all included in the one universe. Therefore, the universe is infinite.

8. I agree with mantikore his reply is true this universe is constantly expanding and that its is just one giant infinite universe think of it more as an organism that has many sectors

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. "There can be only one!"

The universe is endless in existance (time) and endless in distance (space). Endless in both, neither need be accounted for. Unlike countries on Earth separated by sea, if there were other universes in the same dimension- what would be between them? Nothing, because a universe is nothing, space> empty space> NOTHING!

So yeah, there is nothing.

10. some 'professors',claim that 'Black Holes' are ways in to other Universes,,, but how could this be proved as any thing entering a'Black Hole' is squashed down to nothing and no escape,,,,,,,,,mac

But the universe is not necessarily infinite in any of these things. Especially time, as we know there was a start (big bang). And since something had to exist prior to our big bang, we know there has been at least one other universe.

Beyond that, we are now beginning to believe that space is finite as well. And what may be beyond the border of our universe would be another universe. Potentially with completely different rules of physics.

12. but other universes aren't in our "dimension" they are there own. They have their own laws and such. What seperates them wouldn't be normal space because space is structured according to its laws. In the void between universes what would even space be made of? And the universe isn't endless if it's expanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Ive had this discussion, and the big bang really isnt possible. Do you actually think there is no science unknown to humans? Its what I like to call a human-intelect which is stopping you from understanding that that some things are beyond logic. The reason we believe there was a start to the universe is that there is a start to everything we know, we dont really know the universe at all which brings me to my main point.

Time is a human creation, you think planets and stars and enegry have time? No! We have created it since we became intelligent enough to be self-aware, this inevitably brought questions like, how long will I live. Animals even do not use time- light and dark (basic) however not time as such, a fish does not know how long it lives, it does not count down the days to death. Nor does anything in the universe as far as we know.

A tricky subject, but PLEASE lets discuss this futher if you do not understand! It blows my mind talking about this shit.

Happy Tokin'

14. Excellent point, bud. But answer me this...whats beyond the point of expansion? Nothing? Space is nothing. It is endless, contantly expanding, seems legit haha

15. #16 walterbishop, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014

Of course science is ever evolving. I disagree regarding the Big Bang, there is far more evidence supporting it nowadays than supporting it not happening. Even just this past month, more evidence supporting the theory of inflation was uncovered.  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/science/space/detection-of-waves-in-space-buttresses-landmark-theory-of-big-bang.html

I also disagree that time doesn't exist. Time exists. The units by which we keep time are a human invention. And very much dependent on where you are, and how fast you are moving.

16. I agree. Even though measuring time is a human invention, time itself existed far before we even got here as a race, planet, solar system, ect. Stars are born and die just as humans do so there is time-- a start and finish, I should say-- to everything within the Universe.

17. #18 walterbishop, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
    Finncept, have you read anything by Brian Greene? If not, I highly recommend it being you mentioned this topic blows your mind. His books are truly mind blowing.

edit: his latest book, The Hidden Reality, covers the topic of the multiverse and parallel dimensions.

18. beyond the point is the multiverse realm. It's only our universe that's expanding. Compare it to the whole multiverse realm and were just a tiny balloon inflating. This is all just theory though.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. --------------------
    --------------
    stars ,dust and gas -the stuff we can discern make up less than 5% of the universe,,their gravity can't account for how the galaxies hold to- gether,Most people(scientists)think about 24% of the universe is a mysterious dark matter perhaps exotic particles formed after the inflation of the universe ,The rest is dark energy ,an unknown energy field or property of space that counteracts gravity ,providing an explanation for observations that the expansion of space is accelerating..........hope that helps,,,,leaves me with an headache thinking about it and how large our universe actually is,and how small we humans are in relation to the know universe,,,,,,,,,,,mac