Is there a term for this?

Discussion in 'General' started by jcofillinois, Mar 27, 2012.

1. alright, this happens at least 5 times a day.

so i'll be watching tv, and there will be a word that someone says, and i'll look at that object as it's being said.

like, i'll hear the word phone on tv, and i'll be looking at my phone at the same time.

or i'll hear the word love on the radio as i'm typing it to my girlfriend.

don't tell me this only happens to me.

2. Are you sure you don't do drugs?

3. thats just how life works homie

4. I swear that in the past 2-3 years, I've had the more little coincidences like that than ever. :smoke:

5. All the time! Well not quite all the time, but much more than you'd expect it to happen when thinking about it.

6. naw man.. only the marijuana. i'm an oldschooler.

7. yeah, its called chance. its going to happen every once in a while. how many times do they say phone when you're not looking at your phone?

8. Can't believe I have to say this...
    It's called a coincidence.

A coincidence is an event notable for its occurring in conjunction with other conditions.

You looking at the telephone would be the event happening while listening to someone on the TV say "phone" i.e. the condition

9. well i mean yeah, it's a coincidence.. but arachnaphobia is a certain type of fear.

is this a certain type of coincidence?

10. I don't think looking at an object and hearing the word of that object at the same time is intuition at all lol. It's definitely chance and/or coincidence. Whatever you want to call it.

11. Yes, that term in synchronicity

12. No, it is coincidence.:cool:

13. When you look at a phone, you're also likely looking at many other things at the same time - perhaps the table it's sitting on, the wall behind it, the lamp next to it, the cord coming out of it. Further, the sentence you hear containing "phone" likely contains other words - perhaps "typewriter", "chartreuse", or "douchebag". In these examples, nothing coincides, but live a whole day, week, whatever... And given the broad range of sensory experiences we process, there absolutely are bound to be plenty of them. What varies from prison to person is simply the capture range of noting items he or she considers concurrent. And the above is only considering two senses.

What you are reacting is actually your own lack of intuition of how frequently such coincident items appear. Which is perfectly typical. In fact the whole idea of noting coincidences, and thus of the idea of a coincidence itself, is based on misintuiting their likeliness.

The classic demonstration is to put "X" number of people in a room and have them each guess what are the chances, that any two people share the same birthday. Almost invariably, among people unfamiliar with the exercise, everyone will drastically undershoot the mathematically-provable correct amswer.

14. Coincidence? or ALIENS?

:rolleyes:

15. It's a synchronized coincidence

16. deja vu, synchronicity, coincedence, take your pick.

17. "The idea of synchronicity is that the conceptual relationship of minds, defined as the relationship between ideas, is intricately structured in its own logical way and gives rise to relationships that are not causal in nature. These relationships can manifest themselves as simultaneous occurrences that are meaningfully related."

18. Everyone Poops is the title of US editions of the English translation (by Amanda Mayer Stinchecum) of Minna Unchi (みんなうんち?), a Japanese children's book written and illustrated by the prolific children's author Tarō Gomi and first published in Japan by Fukuinkan Shoten in 1977 within the series Kagaku no Tomo Kessaku-shū (i.e. Masterpieces of the friends of science).
    The English translation has been published in the US by Kane/Miller, within the series "My Body Science", and by Scholastic. In Britain, the book is titled Everybody Poos and is published by Frances Lincoln.
    The book tells children that all animals defecate, and that they have always done so.
    The book has also been translated into Spanish and Thai.

19. I have difficulty with words coined by people for the express purpose of helping others to conform to their particular theories or ideas.

The OPs examples are definitively coincident, but only synchronistic if you subscribe to particular, debatable musings.