Is the Xbox Kinect worth it?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Skanepride, Jun 30, 2011.

1. So, is it? :confused:

I've been thinking about getting one, and since I got my salary for these past two months of working I figured I might get one. I saw Child of Eden for example and I can imagine toking up and playing that came. Looks intense! Anyone here with a kinect and do you recommend buying it? If so, what games should I pick up as well?

Peace :smoke:

2. Yeah Im gunna go with no. The kinect, while a greate idea, just doesnt cut it when you actually use it. But I am biased. Strictly mouse and keyboard only.

3. i wouldn't get it. I like to play games while sitting.

maybe if you have a kid

4. I wouldn't get it, but I've never tried one and I have ps3. I do follow all video game news so I know all about it and it just doesn't look practical. I haven't seen any good uses of it yet, much like the ps3 motion controller. No good games for it, plus, how do you control a game with no buttons? Haven't seen it done well yet.

5. #6 Jdahms, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2011
    yeah man its a lot of fun. microsoft is only now really starting to roll out the kinect awesome.

dont buy it now though, only a few good games on it atm. wait 6 months. Child of eden is really fun, but also very short. i hear you can beat it in an hour.

the motion controls are so good its a little creepy. its going to be able to detect finger movements soon.

lol @ people commenting on it who dont even have one, or dont ever plan on getting one.

6. #7 The Gooner, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011
    Yeah after owning one since it came out, it is definitely worth it. You won't use it all the time, but once more games are Kinect enabled, it will be worth every penny. It is also a blast to play while blazeeeed

7. I have never used it, but this looks pretty sick.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIjwyPhYiM0]YouTube - ‪Tom Clancy's - Ghost Recon Future Soldier Kinect Gameplay!‬‏[/ame]

8. From an electronics engineering standpoint its pretty awesome and has a lot of uses, especially since they released the SDK for it. Never played any games with one tho, they just need a more diverse library to sell more.

9. Fuck that shit. Unless you have a 7 year old little brother and sister fuck the kinect.

10. Personally, I wouldn't

but hey, some people have bought them

so it is up to you

11. Yeah that was cool.

TBH, if you want one, you should probably wait for the technology to mature a little bit before purchasing one, or see if the price goes down. Id give it maybe another 8 - 12 months if i was to get one. I'd probably only use it for the mic so i can use it in game, since some games will require it (im assuming it decodes voice by itself making it easier on game developers than the regular mic.)

12. If it was like $80 I'd probably get one.

I've played one a few times at a friends house and eh, it was a little laggy and wasn't quite what I was expecting except it was one of the kinect adventure games which kinda sucks in the first place anyways.. lol

The possible innovations with this is endless though. I can imagine some trippy artistic style games coming out for this, just I don't know if M$ is willing to stray away from thw whole virtual pets and car racing with cars that drive themselves type games which is a downer.

Kinect fun labs looks badass though, you can download any hack people have made for kinect which is what prob interests me the most lol

13. #14 420rowdyguy, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
    Owned one, sold it for a quarter...

First of all you need atleast a 4x4 foot area to play comfortably

Secondly theres hardly any games for it

Lastly it just kinda sucks, sure it looks sick on vids but when you set it up and actually play it, it gets old really fast.

Some of the games only involve stepping side to side or jumping every once in a while which not only makes you look like a 7 year old boy but you feel like a 7 year old boy also...

That vid above for ghost recon looks pretty sick but kinect only makes custimization menus more interesting at the loss of gamplay... How the fuck do you walk in the game and the shit you do with your hands is gay as fuck.

If someone saw you playing ghost recon but they didnt see the screen they would think you are playing go go stop or something

Got it for christmas sold it 2 weeks later to some asian dude and his son for 40$ less than retail price

to this day i still dont regret it

And with a price tag 3/4ths that of the console

Ill stick to my controller until full body gaming comes out where your imersed in the middle of the battlefeild instead of just replacing a controller with hand signals but with a price tag 3/4ths that of the console

14. youll regret selling it in the next 12 months when microsoft really starts rolling out the games and support for the kinect.