Is THC a solution for Peripheral Neuropathy?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Vash.The.Stampede, Oct 22, 2012.

1. My sister was talking to my parents and I today, almost crying, about how she has pain and randomly her arms or feet randomly tingle or burn. Its been going on for almost a month, and the doctors aren't sure what it is, but so far its looking like it could be something called Peripheral Neuropathy.

Does anyone no anything about this - can weed help?

I know from random documentarys i have seen that THC has help people with illnesses that are related to the nervous system.

If it is something that can help - I need to know how I can come open to my family, especially my sister, that this is something that will help her. (They don't listen to me often - let alone if I were to try to turn them onto a drug that is illegal at the moment).

Also, if you know it can help, please supply with whatever science or documentation you can. I have a gut instinct that tells me it can, but I don't know for sure.

2. Hon, I have a mess of studies on "Neuropathic pain". These are just for the last couple of years. If you want more, click that first link in my sig. (I'd start by reading the news articles first. :D)

Brief Report: Cannabidiol Prevents the Development of Cold and Mechanical Allodynia in Paclitaxel-Treated Female C57Bl6 Mice. (full – 2011) (allodynia = Painful response to a stimulus that does not normally elicit pain.)
    Cannabidiol Prevents the Development of Cold and Mechanical Allodynia in Paclitaxel-Treated Female C57Bl6 Mice

Cannabinoid Agonists Inhibit Neuropathic Pain Induced by Brachial Plexus Avulsion in Mice by Affecting Glial Cells and MAP Kinases. (full – 2011)
    Cannabinoid Agonists Inhibit Neuropathic Pain Induced by Brachial Plexus Avulsion in Mice by Affecting Glial Cells and MAP Kinases

Spinal cannabinoid CB2 receptors as a target for neuropathic pain: an investigation using chronic constriction injury. (abst – 2011) Spinal cannabinoid CB2 receptors as a target fo... [Neuroscience. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoids for Treatment of Chronic Non-Cancer Pain; a Systematic Review of Randomized Trials. (abst – 2011) Cannabinoids for treatment of chronic no... [Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol as an emergent therapeutic strategy for lessening the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol as an emergent therapeutic s... [Free Radic Biol Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Self-medication of a cannabinoid CB(2) agonist in an animal model of neuropathic pain.
    (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Self-medication of a cannabinoid CB2 agonist in an animal model of neuropathic pain. PubMed Journal article abstract

Activation of spinal and supraspinal cannabinoid-1 receptors leads to antinociception in a rat model of neuropathic spinal cord injury pain. (abst – 2011) (antinociception = anti-pain)

Activation of spinal and supraspinal cannabinoid-1... [Brain Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoid 'Completely' Prevents Chemotherapy-Induced Neuropathy, Study Says
    (news – 2011) Cannabinoid 'Completely' Prevents Chemotherapy-Induced Neuropathy, Study Says

Marijuana component may ease pain from chemo therapy drugs (news – 2011)
    Marijuana component may ease pain fro... JPost - Health & Science

Cannabidiol may help prevent paclitaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy (news – 2011)
    Cannabidiol may help prevent paclitaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy

Prescribing Cannabis for Harm Reduction. (full – 2012)
    http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/pdf/1477-7517-9-1.pdf

Cannabinoid agonist WIN 55,212-2 prevents the development of paclitaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy in rats. Possible involvement of spinal glial cells. (abst – 2012)
    Cannabinoid agonist WIN 55,212-2 prevents th... [Eur J Pharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Low brain penetrant CB1 receptor agonists for the treatment of neuropathic pain.
    (abst - 2012) Low brain penetrant CB1 receptor agonis... [Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoids suppress inflammatory and neuropathic pain by targeting α3 glycine receptors. (abst – 2012) Cannabinoids suppress inflammatory and neuropathic... [J Exp Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Characterization of cannabinoid-induced relief of neuropathic pain in rat models of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. (abst – 2012) Characterization of cannabinoid-indu... [Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Prevention of Paclitaxel-Induced Neuropathy Through Activation of the Central Cannabinoid Type 2 Receptor System (abst – 2012)
    Prevention of Paclitaxel-Induced Neuropathy Through Activation of the Central Cannabinoid Type 2 Receptor System

A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled, Parallel Assignment, Flexible Dose, Efficacy Study of Nabilone as Adjuvant in the Treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathic Pain Using an Enriched Enrollment Randomized Withdrawal Design (S38.003) (abst – 2012) (nabilone = synthetic THC) A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled, Parallel Assignment, Flexible Dose, Efficacy Study of Nabilone as Adjuvant in the Treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathic Pain Using an Enriched Enrollment Randomized Withdrawal Design (S38.003) --

The Novel Reversible Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase Inhibitor ST4070 Increases Endocannabinoid Brain Levels and Counteracts Neuropathic Pain in Different Animal Models (abst – 2012)
    The Novel Reversible Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase Inhibitor ST4070 Increases Endocannabinoid Brain Levels and Counteracts Neuropathic Pain in Different Animal Models

An enriched-enrolment, randomized withdrawal, flexible-dose, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel assignment efficacy study of nabilone as adjuvant in the treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain. (abst – 2012) An enriched-enrolment, randomized withdrawal, flexible-... [Pain. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Peripheral antinociceptive effect of anandamide and drugs that affect the endocannabinoid system on the formalin test in normal and streptozotocin-diabetic rats.
    (abst – 2012) Peripheral antinociceptive effect of anand... [Neuropharmacology. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

The maintenance of cisplatin- and paclitaxel-induced mechanical and cold allodynia is suppressed by cannabinoid CB2 receptor activation and independent of CXCR4 signaling in models of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. (abst – 2012)
    The maintenance of cisplatin- and paclitaxel-induce... [Mol Pain. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

The therapeutic potential of cannabis and cannabinoids. (abst – 2012) The therapeutic potential of cannabis and ... [Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

California pot research backs therapeutic claims (news – 2012) California pot research backs therapeutic claims - Health and Medicine - The Sacramento Bee

Cannabis as Painkiller (news – 2012) Cannabis as painkiller

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:

3. I really don't wan't to sound like the stoner kid brother when I bring this up - I'm going to do some thorough reading, before I say anything.

I really appreciate your help guys.

Medical use of marijuana really hits close to home when you sister is about to be in tears explaining the type of pain she is in. I wish I could just tell her what I think.

4. Get a doctors opinion regardless.

5. dont mention smoking it because your trying to help not hurt

6. This. Make sure to be clear about how cannabis can be consumed in various other ways aside from smoking.

7. Yes, For sure it is a solution. It relaxes the muscles, treats numbness and feet burning sensation is reduced and lots of benefits are there.
    I have seen many people consuming THC for peripheral neuropathy, It is a well known formula. Read this for more information as the article covered the disease completely -https://mymmjdoctor.com/peripheral-neuropathy-symptoms-causes-and-treatment/

8. I recall transporting clones across State lines back in the day that were for medicinal purpose of this nature

in these cases, the plant chemistry that gave relief was not so much in the flower, it was found in the smaller vegetative leaves that had to be consumed for therapeutic benefit