Is socialized health care good or bad?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jimbobbybob, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Dang that would be sweet, especially if everyone else had to help pay for your car and home insurance after your car and home were damaged.

2. Nice! That means it's totally free!

3. Hell yeah I'm about to set my house on fire.

Let the mother fuck burn!

Cause I don't have to pay for it! :hello:

4. Cool I'm gonna get drunk and drive my car into some shit. Good times!

5. Whoa dude, that's not cool...

Not unless you drink enough to need a liver transplant! Which will of course be provided to you free of charge. ;)

6. Yeah I don't care about the health risks dude! I'll get health care for free! Bring it on liver disease!

7. Be back later, I'm go stick an ENTIRE PACK of cigarettes in my mouth and SMOKE THEM ALL AT ONCE!

Who here wants to step up and fulfill their social contract to give me one of their lungs? Come on, just two of you giving half your lungs would make me whole again! It's not like I'm taking everything, you'd still have enough to survive. It's just not fair that people are dying and you have TWO GOOD LUNGS. You're definitely living in too much excess WHILE PEOPLE ARE DYING

8. I don't think you want my lungs man... They're homosexual.

I'm not, but my lungs are.

9. Don't worry citizen.

I'll uphold your right to take from others parts of their bodies. It's your right to be happy after all, this is America!

Vote for me, good citizen.

10. I will say that in America, you CAN get some of the best medical treatment in the world, people come here from all over - but that does not mean it's available to many Americans. Wealthy foreigners have access, though.

Nobody in the industrialized world is saying, "Gee, I wish we had a healthcare system like they have in the United States, rather than ours."

Nobody.

11. #91 smoker209, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
    I'm just replying because I wanted to see if I misinterpreted your posts so here goes.

You say that the reason that individual health insurance is so high is because the government of New York engages in price fixing which means nobody pays what their insurance should cost, so no one buys them.

So to fix the problem,, the same government that caused the problem, should take over the whole system?

If thats not what you meant than I apologize.

Then you say that insurance companies dont like to sell individual policies compared to large accounts because they dont make as much.

I dont know how insurance companies operate in NY but if you sell a group account with 10 people, and 10 individual accounts, how would they not make as much money?

Again, if I interpreted wrong, please correct me.

12. I hope you don't mean to say that people's lives are equal in value to objects like your house or your car.

I like the idea of universal healthcare because it's the only system that guarantees any citizen coverage. If you can explain to me how in a free market system every single person, down to the most desperately impoverished, could afford any and all necessary medical treatment, you might be able to convince me.

I think we should stop paying billions to murder people in other countries and instead spend it to keep the people in our country healthy.

13. What is insurance?

14. Are you asking me this because I think pre-existing conditions should be covered?

15. Car insurance is mandatory in most states. Homeowners insurance is also mandatory if you carry a mortgage.

If you get into a car accident or your house catches on fire, and you can't afford to pay, those costs are passed on to someone else.

The same thing goes for health insurance. If you get sick and need treatment, and you can't afford to pay, that cost gets passed on to the rest of us. If your co-workers are unhealthy, stressed out, and going bankrupt due to our fucked up health care system, those costs get passed on to you and your employer.

Universal health care doesn't force you to pay for someone else's health care, it forces you to pay for something that you use and benefit from every single day.

16. Car insurance and fire insurance cover things that MIGHT happen. Not things that already happened. That's what insurance is for. Not to pay for your birth control.

17. Other then being a stupid dig at past debates, this makes absolutely no sense.

Pregnancy is not a preexisting condition for the majority of the population.

Pregnancy is something that MIGHT happen to millions of women and families. Paying a small amount for birth control to insure that you don't end up with the larger expense in the future is pretty much the definition of what insurance should be for.

Many preexisting conditions may be inexpensive to manage, but could lead to very expensive, future complications if left untreated. Again... this is exactly what insurance should be for.

18. The problem isn't insurance. It's being forced to buy insurance by a monolithic state that murders and imprisons people regularly. Not to mention that the health insurance companies have formed cartels in each state due to federal regulations.

Initiating force against people is never ethical.

19. so if the US didn't murder people and abolished all its prisons (or at least sold its prisons to private corporations- that would make it much more ethical), imposing a health mandate like most other modern countries would look a bit more better?