Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is smoking resin THAT bad for you? YES Details inside:

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Cheeto Jones, Jan 5, 2016.

1. #1 Cheeto Jones, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
    Hey guys,

I felt the need to make this thread to tell my recent medical experiences and also allow a debate about one of the nastiest stoner habits that is frequently discussed on this site: resin scraping and smoking.

From the threads I read in the past, I remember reading a lot of people who actively scrape resin often and would post about the best ways to scrape resin. Of course, a good amount of people would come in and say "fuck resin that's so bad for you", but a lot of people would come to the conclusion "I know it tastes bad and is gross but it gets you baked [​IMG]"

Well, I can tell you 100 percent right now that smoking resin 1-2 times a week or so over the course of a year FUCKED my lungs up and I had tests done that proved it was the resin. I used to be bad about resin smoking, I ignorantly brushed it off as something that wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. I would smoke a few grams a week and then collect the resin twice a week for two extra sessions.

I noticed that when I stopped smoking for 1-2 days, I would have HORRIBLE chest congestion. My chest would get tight and I had trouble breathing and I could not cough to clear my throat. I took a hit off my brother's asthma inhaler and instantly felt relief. I knew that since this only happened when I took breaks from smoking that it was most likely my lungs trying to clear "tar" in my lungs, and didn't think much of it. Well, as I continued my smoking career and the resin sessions began to become more and more normal, I started feeling this congested chest feeling anytime I smoked weed. I got a breathing test done and they told me I most likely had asthma. I talked to other people who smoked weed who also had asthma and they told me they never had symptoms as severe as mine. I then realized how fucking retarded I was and realized it wasn't asthma, weed, or anything ruining my lungs... it was the RESIN. You see, I never had ANY breathing problems until I started smoking resin. I decided that I needed to 100 percent never touch resin again, but to continue smoking copious amounts of cannabis and see what happened on my next breathing test.

Well, I didn't even need to wait that long to feel the effects. Slowly I began needing my inhaler less and less, and I was coughing up RIDICULOUSLY thick clear phlegm every morning. Eventually it got to the point where I felt like I may not have even had asthma, and that I had a coat of tar from resin ALWAYS in my lungs. I had another breathing test done a few months later and I did SIGNIFICANTLY better than my original one... and my marijuana consumption remained the same.

Just wanted to share this story to anyone searching if resin is bad for them, and also to start some controversy among the resin "advocates" on here. YES, it is that bad for you, and NO I do not think you should ever smoke resin ever. Even if it "gets you baked", FUCK that shit. The cost of all of the medical treatment, Muccinex, asthma inhalers easily could have gotten me a fucking ounce of weed compared to the shitty resin headaches I gave myself.

2. Agreed. Nasty.

3. #3 mostdope122, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
    Not even worth smoking it no matter how high it gets you imo. Shits disgusting. If you ever get to the point where all you can smoke is resin, please take a break for a while

4. What exactly is resin? Couldn't find too much, but I did read that it's the by product of all the chemicals leftover from the bud?

And, good clean, organic bud, doesn't create resin? is this true?

5. #5 *guest, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016

It's the tar, ash, and carbon that is leftover when you burn weed, it'll build up in pipes and some people will scrape it out and smoke it.

Nothing to do with chemicals, your fanciest organic bud will still leave resin.

6. When you think about it if you smoke a fat joint or blunt there will be resin buildup the farther down the joint so your smoking resin then too.

7. Yeah, it's one of those things that obviously isn't good to do all the time but every once in a while probably isn't that big of a deal. All things in moderation... some more than others. :p

8. Doesn't seem worth it. Taste is so disgusting too. I've had my fiendish moments where I'd say fuck it, but overall just nasty.

• Like Like x 1
  9. this is also why wax can be great. the reclaim wouldnt ever do this to you

10. Thanks for sharing. Can you tell us about the asthma test you received? Did they say it's "likely" or "definitely" asthma?

It sounds like you did a process of elimination to conclude that resin smoking has led to your breathing troubles. I'm not a doctor but if you were hitting resin every 1-2 days, I'm not surprised.

As your psuedo-internet doctor, I recommend you go running!

11. The doctor didn't seem to think I had asthma based on my symptoms because she said it was very odd that I would randomly at 21 years old develop breathing problems, and if I had asthma I would have had symptoms earlier on. She asked if I smoked, and I said I didn't smoke tobacco, no (I felt like I should have mentioned the weed but this was back when I made my thread asking if I should, and people SKETCHED ME OUT, made me think it would be on permanent medical records). I just said "I don't smoke tobacco but I've vaped".

When I had the breathing test done, they gave me a dose of albuterol, and once I did better on the test after they said that it's most likely mild asthma because I reacted well to the medication.

I kind of wish I would have just been honest about the weed thing, but people on here sketched me out and made it seem like it would affect the likelihood I would get certain prescriptions if needed, and that it would follow me around.

12. I always thought that a resin high was a "harsh" feeling high anyway. It also seemed to burn my throat in a way weed never did. I started throwing it away a few years back. We used to have pipe scraping parties all the time when I was younger, but my health became a mental factor, so I stopped smoking it even when I ran out of green. It was hard to not get high when the weed ran out, knowing resin was waiting to be scraped..........

13. Yeah you're kind of correlating un proven things. That's like saying I can take deeper breaths when I don't smoke thus weed is terrible for you.

14. I'll be honest, i don't even know what the fuck resin is. I either smoke joints, blunts, chillum or apple pipe. Is it something you find in bongs?

15. Cheeto, give it a break. Doctors aren't even the smartest people in the world...

16. i hope your just being sarcastic

17. I mean... I took 2 breathing tests, both while smoking the same amount of bud, but one of them I smoked resin in the weeks leading up to it... performing better on a test at a hospital as well as not having any breathing difficulties after cutting resin seems to be proof enough for me at least that resin is bad for you... but if you are a resin supporter, have fun :)

18. its the nasty shit that clogs up the inside of a chillum. Blunts and joints has it too, its just mixed in the Roach. If you smoke weed you smoke resin. But fk going out of your way to smoke it like some do.

19. Yeah, resin absolutely kills my lungs. I only smoke it if and when I'm out of weed and can't get anymore. Desperate times call for desperate measures, but I don't think that I'd light resin up for 1-2 weeks straight, holy hell.

20. That sucks, I used to scrape up resin and smoke it probably once every two weeks if I didn't have any bud left. Only did it for a few months though, that shit is nasty lol.