Is smoking cigarettes really that bad for you?

Discussion in 'General' started by babaloeey, May 15, 2011.

1. I've been smoking a lot lately, I hope it's not that bad.

2. Well they certainely arent good for you.

And inb4 "yo cancer sticks are gross, smoke weed all day!!!!"

3. haha youve got to be joking. people die all day from smoking. its not like youll die tomorrow, but it will most likely be slow and drawn out. not to mention painful im sure. but just have some grit and do what you want.

4. Stop while your ahead bro.

Trust a stranger.

5. Really OP?

6. #6 DriftingApart, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2011
    There are alveoli in your lungs (about 80 million of them) which are responsible for the gas exchange between carbon dioxide and oxygen. Even though smoke is bad in general (the chemical carbon monoxide is created by both marijuana and tobacco smoke), but the difference being that THC opens the alveoli in your lungs, whereas tobacco causes them to close.

EDIT: Here's an article i found.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_info3.shtml

It even has a table... I like tables.

7. I think there's a pretty good reason for all the bad press surrounding cigs.

Of course, the same could be said about MJ but here we all know better :smoke:

8. Yes, they are that bad, and you hardly get anything from them. They are pretty worthless.

I am proud to say I have been a non-smoker for about a month and a half now. I still have no clue why I started in the first place.

9. Take this as you will. My dad quit smoking a little over fifteen years ago after smoking for about the same amount of time, and still died of lung cancer last August. The shit sticks with you.

10. yo cancer sticks are gross, smoke weed all day!!!

11. Yes, very bad for you, my friend. Quit while you can.

I've been a pack a day smoker for years, although, I've never coughed out that nasty flem shit like alot of other smokers do. The day that I do is the day I'll be quitting.

12. It's not bad as in instant death.... it's bad as in a slow disgusting painful suffocating death.

(quit halloween 2010, after 14-15 years heavy cigs)

13. Congrats...:hello:

Yes, they are evil and of the devil.:mad:

Smoking Deaths Worldwide
    Around 5.4 million deaths a year are caused by tobacco.

* Smoking is set to kill 6.5 million people in 2015 and 8.3 million humans in 2030, with the biggest rise in low-and middle-income countries.

* Every 6.5 seconds a current or former smoker dies, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

* An estimated 1.3 billion people are smokers worldwide (WHO).

Over 443,000 Americans (over 18 percent of all deaths) die because of smoking each year. Secondhand smoke kills about 50,000 of them.

1.2 million people in China die because of smoking each year. That's 2,000 people a day.

Tobacco use will kill 1 billion people in the 21st century if current smoking trends continue.

33 percent to 50 percent of all smokers are killed by their habit.

* Smokers die on average 15 years sooner than nonsmokers.

How many people die because of smoking each year?

14. yes they will kill you :mad:

15. Natural selection: it works

16. Grats bro.

I quit cold turkey 2 years ago.

17. I spy a jew, bet you can't find him.

18. ya cigarette smoke causes cancer my ass and lemme guess wrestling is fake too right? ya you guys are fuckin hilarious!