Is smoking a sin?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by CGTennis123, May 16, 2005.

1. I've heard some different opinions about this but is smoking weed really a sin? Because harming your body in any way is a sin and everyone knows that smoking anything isn't good for your lungs. But then again occasional use doesn't harm your lungs at all. So could it be that abusing weed and smoking it every day is a sin and just smoking it occasionaly isn't a sin? What are your thoughts on this?

2. guess so.. but i don't goto church anyway..

3. atheist here....

so no :) keep on toking, there is no reason to fear something you enjoy.

4. No, I dont think so. Im not christian and follow those tenemants but if we were going to be labeling things as sins smoking marijuana would be pretty far down on the list. As for harming the lungs, smoking through a water bong signifigantly lowers the amount of impurities that enter the body - there have been studies at MIT that prove this. Vaporizing the weed doesnt let any of the 'smoke' byproducts enter your body, just the thc, hence the different buzz. Cigarettes are signifigantly more detrimental to you health as is caffeine, so the long and the short of it is; if you are mormon or amish you might want to use a vaporizer otherwise your fine.

5. No. No it isn't.

6. Yea, it really depends who you ask. I think most world religions are against altering conscience.

7. Yeah, I'm a christian, and if my memory serves me right, the bible says that god gave us all the herbs and spices to use. Now, here is the question, weed is an herb right?! So I guess god gave is weed to use?!

8. God gave us the herbs "for meat" (or for food)...

Do a search. This question's been asked about a million times.

9. Fk it if it is I dont wanna know :p :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

10. as a fellow athiest i can say no.. no its not. But if you choose to belive in god let me ask ye this... why would he create herb plants if he didnt want us to use them?

11. Funny really, some of my christian friends are very against weed. Not funny really, more like inconsistent ;)

12. LOL :D

13. I go to a catholic school and my religion teacher (who is also a prriest) takes a smoke break every lunch or so. He smokes cigarettes. So if it is a sin then that priest is screwed..

14. I'm an atheist too, but if there was a god, he'd want us to be happy, right? so if using something that He put on this earth, which doesn't hurt you (and actually has medicinal benefits) and makes you happy would make him mad, than that's a god that I wouldn't wanna worship.

but that's just me.

15. LOL - sounds like a priest to me... And yeah... Most priests are screwed btw.

So then, by that logic, we should smoke everything that grows?

Hold on... I'm about to go pack a bong of oregeno and basil... Or better yet, some poison nightshade...

My point is this: Just because it grows wild, doesn't mean we're supposed to smoke it.

16. If you want a religious view on weed, check out the Church of the Universe (http://www.iamm.com/). It's a religion about how the bible makes references saying that you SHOULD smoke weed. It also talks about how Jesus himself had a go with some THC himself. At the least, it's very, very interesting.

17. At the least - it's complete bullshit. Give me any verse that suggests they used MJ, and I'll give you the literal meaning of the original Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic word - as I have a complete Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic dictionary.

18. If you are going to label weed a sin since it alters your conscience then you have to throw refined sugar and caffine in there to.

19. Lol, I don't think we'll ever know...But I just thought of something, I'm almost positive it's a sin to break the law, and well since smoking weed (unless used for medical purposes) is illegal then it is a sin. And if you're using it medically you probably lied to your doctor just to get a growing card so that's a sin lol.

20. So the people that make the laws(government) also decide what is a sin? They cant do that! Thats up to god man!