Is Schizophrenia rare if grain is rare?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Mnemonicsmoke, Feb 16, 2012.

1. In case that was TLDR...the first quote was of a study showing a correlation between cultures with high grain consumption and higher rates of schizophrenia, the second was of patients with schizophrenia which after resuming a diet with grains and milk also regained the symptoms of their disease...

2. I believe the problem was with Gluten, I'm not sure though.

3. It's the gluten exorphins. They are believed to cause schizophrenia as well as autism.

There are exorphins in milk too

4. For those interested here is the closest source for the full article:

It's interesting, the closest matching source seems to be less than a page-long interpretation of poorly defined second-hand sources.

There are some questionable methods and interpretations as they are described in the abstract. The Fore people (miscalled the Kuru) represent a fractional portion of a biologically and culturally diverse population and may are not generalizable.

Another major issue is that Dohan's anthropology evidence ranges from the late 1940's to the early 1980's; which represents a time in which the methods and theoretical approaches of cultural anthropology went through several major paradigm shifts. The temporal aspect is relevant not only because of the changing nature of human societies (and the issue of statistical noise in longitudinal qualitative research), but also because the methodological approaches of the anthropologists would have varied significantly.

Mental illness is very much a concept that is heavily impacted by cultural relativity, and is difficult to assess from an etic perspective, especially when you're relying on the testimony of individuals who are unfamiliar with the more subtle symptoms of schizophrenia.

In fact, many of these issues were openly criticized in response articles longer than the original publication. It seems that Dohan's peers also found his work less-than-inscrutable. Here is a source:

There are a host of other issues pointed out by Burton-Bradley, as well as additional methodological issues which apply to the anthropological sources.

5. There do seem to be more studies that indicate wheat to be harmful to the mental health of schizophrenics...

to be honest i'm terrible at citing sources and what not and mostly i'm just googling these

but here

Anyways I just became aware of this hypothesis today, so I don't know an awful lot about it but even if it were the case that wheat/milk can worsen psychiatric symptoms (promote them?) it does seem that not all individuals respond to wheat/milk restriction

honestly though I haven't read too much about this...

by the way Sam Spade are those books free to the public online?
    I got the abstracts from a google search and i couldn't figure out how to read the full article

6. I'll definitely give them a look over. I appreciate you taking the time to find some more sources :eek:

Definitely an interesting hypothesis!

Short answer is: no. I have access to a number of different academic libraries and document services for my work.

Google Scholar is useful to find some academic papers made available to the public through educational programs, but usually they're only the most popular ones, not obscure decades old archived papers.

7. quite interesting how in my psychology class, the prof went on a rant about how people think gluten is tied to schizos and said anyone believing this is stupid and should leave

now that i see this... i should of left

8. seems kind of a strange attitude...if your professor doesn't think gluten is involved at all did he tell you why he thought this? Just seems like he ridiculed the idea and was done...or did he point out why he thought that thinking was flawed?

I mean I don't really know...not convinced...but if your professor was did he explain what convinced him?

9. nope she based this conclusion off "years of scientific studies" and she approached this topic by saying how a celebrity had a kid with schizo and she said that glutens caused schizo in her child and that the celebrity is batshit crazy for thinking this

10. What milk did they drink? I myself prefer women's raw titty milk.

Or man-boob milk. Whatever.

11. Just a quicky, I'm not on full 'net service at present, but gluten definitely triggers a varying mental reaction in me, or used to, it's years since I had it. Usually beginning with a slight depression and fatigue about an hour after ingestion (say, one slice of toast), then turning into a full blown misery the following morning, depending on the circumstances. By this I mean if I was put under stress I would be less able to cope with it, would be very over-reactive to my own emotions and, if the stress was big enough, would enter quite a dark depression. I would be irrational, overly sensitive to people who I thought badly-treated me, etc. - mentally I was not a happy bunny at all, and depression haunted me when I got into my late twenties, literally as my gluten sensitivity (and lactose intolerance) grew.

Note that we as adults aren't meant to have milk really beyond being babies, and many races have an in-built intolerance to it, they lack the enzyme required to break it down. Not only can it cause stomach problems, but it too has its own depressive qualities for some people. The gluten reaction increases the lactose reaction (and others too) and can cause lasting miseries that come from nowhere. I've had had depressions that lasted weeks and months at a time, but they all stopped once I got a better handle on what food was doing to me.

Now we're also finding that a great number of people develop gluten sensitivity as they age, usually becoming noticeable around the age of 40. It can start much earlier though. If you have dark rings under your eyes that never seem to go away and have a tendency to be cold handed and a bit tired, the chances are that you have a food sensitivity, very probably either wheat/avanine or lactose/casien intolerance.

But, putting the two together as something that many of us will get as we age; this is something that has bothered me for years, and there isn't anyone really to tell it too, as many doctors are still finding it hard to accept that gluten can do what it does, but I see a pattern emerging as we rely more and more on lactose and gluten rich foods. I read an increasing number of stories about normal people who have suddenly decided to kill themselves or someone else, or do something horrific, with absolutely no reason. Under the right circumstances I could really see that happening if someone was unlucky enough to have all the key things in place: they have been drinking the night before (a depressant), they eat a simple breakfast of something like toast and yoghurt, then have a minor argument with someone, and they end up going pretty much nuts. You are in a dark and highly irrational and self-righteous place, getting revenge or 'standing up for yourself' becomes natural when you are on wheat. I have it one day and its effects last for around 5. What say I were to be having it every day, what mental effects would it trigger then? And I'm no different from the thousands of other people who have it.

Toast and yoghurt, the death of the west. Is it why there's more aggression, more depression as a whole now than there was even 30 years ago?

MelT

12. So how about avoiding gluten? What kinds of food contain it? For example, subway's buns?

13. I'm going to make some toast and yoghurt right now. That sounds delicious.

14. Love me some milk. It's great for getting out a good poo, after a night of steak-eating.

15. Yes, all of Subway's breads contain gluten.

Anything with wheat contains gluten, unless the gluten has been removed, of course.

Gluten free items cost much more than their regular counterparts, but for someone with gluten intolerance, like myself, they make a world of difference. Best way to avoid gluten? Only buy things made with grains that are clearly marked as "gluten free."

16. I would just like to add this.

Schizophrenia affects 1% of the total population. It's one of the few diseases that affects different places in the earth about the same.

With that being said depending on the gluten content of rice could make or break this argument.

Asia has the same rate of schizophrenia as the US.

17. Rice does not contain gluten...especially the type of rice most of Asia eats. Certain wild rices might contain gluten, but the vast majority of the "white rices" are gluten free and can be eaten in any quantity.

We do know, however, that those with Celiac disease or other gluten intolerances are 3x more likely to develop schizophrenia than someone without. There IS an established link.

18. [​IMG]

19. I'm just regurgitating what I learned in abnormal psych, that's all. I understand why you posted that comic though

The data does indicate, however, that those with gluten intolerances have a higher incidence rate of schizophrenia than those who do not. While correlation may not equal causation, there is clearly something going on.

20. That 'something' may be much different than you assume though.

I mean, just as the most obvious example; perhaps the genetic trigger for coeliac disease shares a genetic trigger with schizophrenia. Both of these conditions have a strong genetic element after all.

Or perhaps they is an altogether different dependant variable in industrial-consumer countries which applies to these conditions. Or maybe there is an intervening variable that we're all overlooking entirely.