Is Packing Up And Leaving With Nothing Crazy?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by foamyys, Jun 18, 2014.

1. BLADES. Just wanted some opinions on what I'm about to do.. Packing up a few pairs of clothes and other necessities that will fit into 2 bags max, and just traveling. No money, just a car and the journey. Figuring panhandling when I could, sleeping anywhere, motel if I have some cash handy, just for the experience of it..? 
    What do you people think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. i think i have taken almost every chance that i found to travel ... and never regretted it....
    been all over the us..... even got to spend a couple years in alaska .... 
    btw..... i think bout everything i own fits in a couple bags.... all that "stuff" no big deal... if you are not attached to material shit in that way... you wont miss it...
    idk bout panhandleing.... but i am sure there are ways to make a few bucs here and there.....
    personally.... if its something you feel you want to do .... i would say go for it....
    of coarse... i am just some halfbrained asshole on the internet.... so careful listening to me! :eek:  :smoke:

• Like Like x 4
  3. What's panhandling?

4. I pulled this years ago when shit wasn't as fucked up as it is now...Works better to know people where you'll be at, failing that it is at least warm this time of year.

Today?  Fuck that shit, this country is more fucked than it was then and I got shot at three times back then so I can only imagine how many times I would have to jump into My Neo act and start dodging bullets now. :cool:

5. You think panhandling is safe? Lol man if you really plan on doing this be very careful there's alot of crazy people out there

6. #6 Old School Smoker, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
    With the price of gas and food, you may panhandle a gallon of gas and something from the 99 cent menu at McDonalds. Per day. Good luck!

Oh another thing, some people dont like panhandlers and they call the cops.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sounds risky. But fuck it. U do u

Sent from my U670C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. There was a documentary about a guy who did this using craigslist. It's on netflix it might be called craigslist just google it it should come up

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

9. you sound like youd freeze to death the first bad night.

keeping dry and warm are the main ojectives, you dont sound like youve planned for that at all. carrying duffel bags long distances is very impractical, you want a framed backpack.

you need quality shoes with good support.

tent.

with the right backpack and gear you can have a fairly acceptable way to live for free if you hit soup kitchens and food pantries or get food stamps and dont mind being cold and vulnerable and embarrassed and hungry and wet and totally alone.

• Like Like x 2
  10. U should read into the wild. Or watch the movie

Sent from my U670C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. That guy was smart as fuck though

I think we all have that special whore somewhere in our lives.

12. no money? hope you got a full tank buddy

• Like Like x 1
  13. Damn dude what'd you do to piss off mom and dad? I guess you could get by seeing how that's what a lot of immigrants do when they come over to America but it won't be very easy/funny.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Naaaa man, just, naaaaa.

15. Lol where do you live?

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

I grew up in the projects, my only connects was them Old G's...Got shot at three times when I was rolling through Oakland in the mid-90's, spent about six hours there trying to hitch trains South. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    When I was in college, a woman in my sociology course decided for one of the projects that she was going to panhandle on the offramp from I-5 in our town. She was there for 2 days, from 8am to 10pm. Over the course of those 28 hours, she collected nearly $750 [$746 and change to be as exact as possible]. She also took an hour break both days so that she could walk over to the Burger King right down the street and eat lunch. So, $746 for 26 hours comes out to $28.69 per hour....to sit there and hold a sign. LOL. People do this for a living wearing shitty clothes and when the day is up, they walk over to a nearby parking lot and jump into their mercedes-benz, bmw, what have you. It's why I don't give cash to panhandlers anymore. If you sincerely want my help, and you appear to be starving, If I'm going into a store, I'll buy a loaf of bread, a package of sliced meat and some cheese to give to you if I'm able at that time.

A word of advice....some of the spots for panhandling are very territorial. You may have to fight a crazy person or two (possibly each day, lol) for one of the spots that collects the most cash. If you decide to do this, good luck. At the very least, you will have a unique experience that you can reflect on when you're older (unless some crazy guy kills you...then you can only reflect on the pavement).

• Like Like x 1
  18. But that does not work everywhere.

I want to try it. I wont bathe or comb my hair for a week and wear shabby clothes and hold a sign. With my luck, i'll get spat on or my ass kicked or arrested. Maybe even robbed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 TimothyTheFirst, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
    personally I don't think you should panhandle...  since you're making this thread I'm assuming you're not like, homeless and disabled and unable to find work.  if you've had a fucked up life and can't work I understand panhandling, I give homeless people some change or a dollar all the time, but they actually need it.

I'd respect it a lot more when people actually do something for the money.  Like you see a lot of people who might not have much but they'll play some drums on the street or something.  there's been times where I was lost in a new city and told a homeless guy I'd give him a dollar for directions.

plus you gotta be real careful man.  if you're in a big city (or cities), it's not fun and games.  there's people out there who really need shit, and they'll do whatever it takes to get it.  they aren't wandering around the streets on an adventure because they want to.  they don't give a fuck about you or your livelihood.  no one's gonna look out for you.

and if you're not in a big city, there really won't be anything there for you.  there's nowhere to panhandle in suburbs.  if you panhandle outside of a store or something the customers will tell the staff and they'll ask you to leave.

if you really want to travel, I'd recommend getting a job for at least a few weeks and saving at least a  couple hundred bucks, and taking that with you.  it doesn't have to be a ton but you really don't want to be wandering around the streets with nothing.  it won't be as fun as you think.

there's a lot of books about people doing traveling with relatively nothing.  you should read some of them.

• Like Like x 1
    lol, I understand that. The thing is, our exit isn't crazy busy. I mean, this is a small town off of I-5, but it does have some tourism where people come here for a day to go shopping at our outlet malls and such. I wasn't implying that panhandling anywhere is a sure-fire money maker. Just that if you find the right spot and time, you could pocket some decent money, enough to feed you for a bit and get you to your next stop. Just gotta be wise with the money you actually obtain because it's never a sure thing. Might make a good amount somewhere, then go through a dry spell at a few other places, which makes being frugal with what you do have of high importance.

Oh, and if you decide to do it, we need to set up a contest on the over/under of how many times people yell at you to "get a fucking job you BUM!" lol. Maybe stealth record some of the interactions. I'd actually enjoy watching that. Maybe that's just me though?