is ok?, or not ok!, to trim GIANT fan leaves?!?!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Nannazcrop, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,

this is my very 1st grow and I am learning as I go... but my BBC has developed HUGE sun/fan leaves forming an egg shape and is shading in its budding arms! which seem to want to grow straight up with the stem.. its all very compact!

I am three weeks into flowering and I am not to sure what to do with it? :confused:
    as a temporary thing I have tied the arms down, trying not to stress them, but just enough to pull them out into the light a little more... whilst tucking and tying the fan leafs to make more room, is this the best I can do or can I trim them down!?!

Some people are telling me its ok to trim them, others say it is not the way forward...

Has anyone else had egg plant syndrome?

I've attached a photo to the thread, check it out... all advice welcomed

Nanna x

Attached Files:

2. I have read more than a few to cut or not to cut threads they can get pretty heated, but it all comes down (like almost everything else barring pH) personal preference. Cut a few off that you feel are most concerning and see how your plant responds. She will tell you if she liked it or not.

3. i got the same problem.. to cut or not to cut.. that is the question..

4. Wow those are HUGE fan leaves!! I've never even heard of egg plant syndrome.

Are you doing anything to take care of this problem? If so, wait and see if it helps the girl out.

Otherwise, I would say go ahead and trim because from the looks of it, the leaves are so huge nothing can get light underneath those leaves.

It also doesn't look very happy, like it needs water. But not sure if this is because of egg plant syndrome.

Post in the sick plants section and see what others can say. If you have nothing else to lose, trim and experiment for your next grow.

5. Well think of it this way. I'm a horticulturalist and I can tell you that cutting leaves will result in release of stress hormones. Most people who argue fervently otherwise think they know what they're talking about, they don't. All your leaves should be absorbing light. Even the leaves below collect light. Plants are very sensitive to light and as long as they're a source and not a sink they will stay green.

And you should water that thing. Leaves should be turgid and perpendicular to the light.

6. Im studying for horticulture aswell only a year of classes tho. Your plant is very droopy. Leave the leafs for a while and if they start like draging the plant down and hindering its growth then you can slightly trim.

7. you plants catching some much light it doesnt need to raise the leaves that would be wasting energy. so it gathers as much light energy possible and uses as little.

8. Hey,

thanks for all the feedback guys... couple of people mentioned that the plant needs water? the only thing with that is that this is a Hydroponic set-up and the pot takes 14 litres of the stuff...

She drinks approx 4 litres every 2 days, in which the feed is changed also, so it cant be dehydration can it?

it was in veg for 6 weeks before going onto 12/12, depending on the weather the temp is between 78 and 84, and the humidity never exceeds 40%... so the conditions would appear to be ok too?

p.s Egg plant syndrome is just something I made up due to the shape of the beast lol.