Is obesity 100% optional?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by RawStoner, Mar 30, 2013.

1. I can imagine a few scenarios in which one might become overweight through no fault of their own.

For example, if you break a bone and you're put on bed rest and thus you become extremely sedentary and the weight accumulates slowly, but surely.

And even then, assuming you're not already overweight, you wouldn't balloon in weight, you would just gain a few pounds here and there which might put you into "overweight status."

I am unaware of any reason someone might be obese. What evidence is there that obesity isn't 100% the fault of the obese individual?

2. #2 twakker, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
    I believe some are genetic, like how your body reacts to certain foods, like how some people can rarely lose weight or when they try their hardest at exercising they don't see as much of a result as others do. But I get your point. Its more of inheritance, because you grew up with your parents norms of eating shit and being overweight, you are obviously more likely to go along with those norms and continue in the chain....I guess in a way those are genes

3. Well in that sense no one really has any choice.

But fir the most part if you fat its your ffault

4. Even though people can be more prone to being overweight it is still juat a matter of calories and exercise. Fat people annoy me lol

5. Nothing is 100%, the body has millions of different functions and even more ways to fuck them up, it's only a matter of chance before you get a person who has no choice but to be fat. Certain Thyroid disorders will weaken a person metabolism, causing the more of the food they intake to be turned into fat, which not only adds to their weight but deprives them of the nutrients a person with healthy thyroids would be receiving in the same situation. In turn, more food most be consumed to fill the body with what it needs.

6. I don't think obesity is ever 100% something you can't control.
    Fat genes, diet, and exercise

This article just talks about how there are many factors that contribute to obesity, one of them being what genes or genetic make-up you have that have the code to your body shape/weight.

7. I don't think anyone is doomed to be obese. Sure, kids are bound to their parents diets until they either move out or become more independent. And it can be difficult to make a change when your parents have taught you something else all your life.
    I don't like people making excuses, I believe almost every ft person could get healthy if they tried.

8. Obesity used to be unheard of. And now people are being born with fucking "fat genes". It's sad the human race is so pathetic now that we are being born fat and unhealthy because of the foods we're exposed to. I mean shit, is everyone gonna be a bumbling fat ass in 2050? Obesity will be the death of humans i swear hahaha

9. People blame too much on genetics...

10. I agree that while things like reactions to certain foods may be genetic, it is ultimately peoples laziness that makes them obese. I feel that using genetics as a way to justify obesity is nothing more than an excuse for an utter lack of motivation to get off the couch everyday. Sure, people do have different reactions to different food; but everybody has the ability (unless something is physically handicapping them) to counteract fattening foods with exercise. And what about avoiding these foods altogether? That is always an option, but choosing not to do so is totally a personal decision and if somebody gets obese because of this then genetics are truly no excuse.

11. "Man is not, like the animals, an obsequious puppet of instincts and sensual impulses. Man has the power to suppress instinctive desires, he has a will of his own, he chooses between incompatible ends."-Ludwig Von Mises

12. Well it really is just a matter of keeping your diet well adjusted to your lifestyle. You can get fat eating anything, it's easier to get fat eating certain foods, but it really just comes down to how much you eat. You eat more than you need to, you get fat. Not really all that complicated.

13. I don't know I would be classified as 'obese'. I never cared though because I never felt nor looked obese, just chunky ya know. My weight tells a different story though. But as a kid my mom fed me shit. Unhealthy food so I gained a lot of weight. Now I don't eat nearly as much and I don't change. I diet and exercised for 2 months and lost 1 pound. That was from taking advice from professionals. So idk I don't think it's genes but at the same time I don't think it's 100% preventable. Do you think when I was 5 I would've eaten that shit if I would've known what I would look like in the future? No.

14. #14 bwood, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
    in the vast vast majority fat people brought it all on themselves by the choices they made.

Of course there is a small percent suffering from actual health problems that caused the obesity, but you usually see the vast majority claiming to be a part of that small percent of people.

fat acceptance is one thing that fucking heats me up, Its not a lifestyle its a fucking health issue.

Unfortunately due to the instant gratification society we have people that dont see any changes from a few weeks of exercise and they give up. Science is on your side if you fucking work your ass and stick to it you will get healthier.

15. You totally could drop the weight if you really wanted to. It's absolutely within your power. The thing is, eating some extremely limited, artificial diet and a similar approach to exercise isn't going to get you anywhere. You have to change your whole lifestyle, for the long haul.

16. I know I'm just saying 1 pound lost in 2 months after working my ass off and eating a balanced diet, not just salad, is kind of discouraging. On to another psychology related thing. What if overweight people can't drop weight because they sub conscientiously don't want to. As an overweight kid I was picked on, and I got the lesser scale of it because I was a likable kid and had friends, doesn't mean it didnt happen though. So what if overweight people are so used to getting put down that they put themselves down because that's all they're used too and don't want change. They put themselves down by saying they can't lose weight.

Probably not true just some shit that came to mind.

17. #17 alazaay, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
    Not trolling but 110% serious- Ugh I work at an indoor pool and fat kids make me sad. It's like their parents don't give a fuq about the example they're setting or the lifestyle that is being condoned. A child will eat whatever is put in front of them simply because they trust the parent with their well being.
    A few days ago a mom came in and bought $7 of ice cream sandwiches over the course of 30minutes because her son was "earning" it swimming. The little homie was playing Marco Polo, in the shallow pool.. Not to be mean, but neither the kid nor mother had knee caps or visible necks so I know it wasn't a rare thing for him. And if it wouldn't cost me my job I would have called the mom out on that bs right then and there.I think it's a sign of weak people, mentally. If someone can't say no to themselves how the hell do they say no to their children?

Of course there is a case to be made for people with overactive thyroid disorders but that's no reason to not put in the effort to lose weight. Hell no it won't be easy, but neither is dying before a child's 10th birthday from something that could have been avoided.

$0.02.

18. Yea I feel like it is a choice. I was clearly gaining weight and did nothing to stop it and then I became obese. Who would have known eh? (yeah I'm Canadian) Now I'm making better choices and losing weight so it definitely seems like an option.

19. Diet and exercise.

If anyone would take both elements seriously, they would quickly see obesity is absolutely 100% preventable.

I've maintained a healthy weight for over 2 years now, both with exercise and without it, but never without maintaining a fairly healthy diet at least 80% of the time (hell yes, I have cheat days).

Once your body flips into a certain mode, it is fairly easy to maintain a healthy weight. All it takes is consistency (you know that "oh, fuck THAT" thing no one wants to actually do...)

I'm confident now that even if I were injured to the point of not being able to work out, I'd be able to maintain my weight, so I really don't see the "Oh, I was bedridden" excuse flying either. Diet is key here.

20. one word.... FUCKING METABOLISM