Is neem seed meal systemic?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by boss14, Oct 5, 2019.

1. #1 boss14, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    I was wondering if neem seed meal is systemic? If i top dress around my plants with neem seed meal throughout my grow will that prevent spider mites and or WPM?

2. Neem seed meal, aka “Neem Cake” IS “SYSTEMIC” - but what youll want to
    Do is to soak a cupful in a 5 gallon pail tilled 3/4 with water overnight to 48 hours, stirring occasionally and then spray all over your plants every several days.

j

• Like Like x 1
  3. So what your saying is top dressing with neem cake isn’t helpful but foliar spraying is?

4. But it just ain't the same as neem oil; think twice.
    Wikipedia;
    Neem cake has an adequate quantity of NPK in organic form for plant growth. Being a totally botanical product it contains 100% natural NPK content and other essential micro nutrients as N(Nitrogen 2.0% to 5.0%), P(Phosphorus 0.5% to 1.0%), K(Potassium 1.0% to 2.0%), Ca(Calcium 0.5% to 3.0%), Mg(Magnesium 0.3% to 1.0%), S(Sulphur 0.2% to 3.0%), Zn(Zinc 15 ppm to 60 ppm), Cu(Copper 4 ppm to 20 ppm), Fe (Iron 500 ppm to 1200 ppm), Mn (Manganese 20 ppm to 60 ppm). It is rich in both sulphur compounds and bitter limonoids.

According to research calculations, neem cake seems to make soil more fertile due to an ingredient that blocks soil bacteria from converting nitrogenous compounds into nitrogen gas. It is a nitrification inhibitor and prolongs the availability of nitrogen to both short duration and long duration crops.

Use as a fertilizer
    Neem cake organic manure protects plant roots from nematodes, soil grubs and white ants probably due to its residual limonoid content. It also acts as a natural fertilizer with pesticidal properties. Neem cake is widely used in India to fertilize paddy, cotton and sugarcane. Usage of neem cake have shown an increase in the dry matter in Tectona grandis (Teak), Acacia nilotica (Gum Arabic), and other forest trees.

Neem seed cake also reduce alkalinity in soil, as it produces organic acids on decomposition. Being totally natural, it is compatible with soil microbes and rhizosphere microflora and hence ensures fertility of the soil. Neem cake improves the organic matter content of the soil, helping improve soil texture, water holding capacity, and soil aeration for better root development.

Pest control
    Neem cake is effective in the management of insects and pests. The bitter principles of the soil and cake have been reported to have seven types of activities (a) antifeedant (b) attractant (c) repellent (d) insecticide (e) nematicide (f) growth disruptor and (g) antimicrobial.

The cake contains salannin, nimbin, azadirachtin and azadiradione as the major components. Of these, azadirachtin and meliantriol are used as locust antifeedants while salannin is used as an antifeedant for the housefly.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I understand the difference between neem cake and oil. My question is, if I use neem cake as a soil amendment is it systemic. Will my plants absorb the components, such as azadirachtin, through its roots and deliver it to the rest of the plant?

6. Azadirachtin is systemically taken up by plants through roots and weakly systemic in the leaves. It has both systemic and direct contact action. Only sucking and piercing insects are affected by the systemic form.Jul 6, 2017

https://extension.oregonstate.edu › pests-diseases › profiles-organic-pesticide

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Awesome thank you so much for the info as well as the link. I really appreciate it. I guess it’s time for me to start adding neem cake to my soil.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You are welcome.
    Can you guess how I found out that information?

9. #9 tooslow, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    @boss14
    The take-away, from that research, in my mind, is that one would apply neem oil to the foliage and one would additionally apply neem cake to the soil.
    One takes action upon sucking insects, the other acts on other types of insects & fungi.
    Would that work on Aphids? I doubt it....
    Interesting, indeed.

BUT.... it is a fertilizer as well (6-1-2)
    Keep that in mind!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Yea i did my fair share of researching google for information. Most of the info was about foliar application. I plan on spraying and top dressing next grow season. I never really have issues with aphids. My real issue either WPM or spider mites

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Again... neem cake is ALSO a 6.1.2 fertilizer.
    I’ll try it after you report success.
    Try... to let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I don't believe that neem meal in your soil is gonna help your mite problem if that's what your trying to accomplish. Spraying it on your plant every three days for a couple weeks to break the egg cycle would take care of your problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Its very helpful - but the mites arent on your soil so much as they are living on the underside of your (if you have them) leaves.

Neem is systemic but only to a certain point when it comes to mites. To be effective you will want to spray the plants, making sure not to miss a spot and pay special attention to the underside of your leaves, which is where they lay eggses.

You need to break the egg cycle of the mite in order to eradicate them.

j

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. @boss14

i highly suggest doing some reading in a thread here at GCO that was put together by our friend and mentor, “Lumperdawgz” -

As well as any other posts by him that you stumble across.

but read here - What's in a Neem?

j

• Like Like x 2
  15. Reported for the 4th time.. stop spamming you prick nobody is going to fall for your scam.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Oh fuck - NOW YOU TELL ME

I just sent him hundreds of dollars...

j

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Thank so much everyone. I’ve used the search function on this forum as well as google. But I was spending so much time scrolling through useless information as well as people’s opinions instead of reliable information. You guys helped me find the answers i wanted. So neem is partially systemic but in order for it to be effective one would need to foliar spray atleast once a week

18. If you actually have mites, you’ll want to pick up some organic cold pressed Neem Oil - which, if you plan on continuing to grow Cannabis, should be something thats in your gardening toolbox anyhow.

If you just have a few, then simply soaking Neem Cake can be very effective but mites can get out of hand very quickly; so stay on top of this.

NOT ALL NEEM PRODUCTS ARE CREATED EQUAL!

And not by a long shot!

I highly suggest Ahimsa brand - I’d Google it but at the very least, make sure you get a simple “cold pressed” and organic oil. Trust me that there is a huge difference. If you go to the Hydro Store youll find so much crap - watered down, extracted using heat to squeeze the last drop, from trees that have been sprayed with pesticides, etc etc. Ive seen reports showing the Azadirachtin levels of simple organic, cold pressed oil being double, triple of many other brands/types. I suppose its like any other product - you have to wade thru alot of wannabe crap.

Look/read here: NeemResource.com-Pure Neem Oil and Karanja Oil

The Ahimsa brand is from organic, very old trees in India. Alot of the Hydro Store brands seem to be derived from China - and again, testing has proven the organic, cold pressed from India to be far superior.
    You can also buy the Ahimsa brand at Fedco Organic Growers Supply which Im lucky as hell to have here in Maine - and which I can assure you will satisfy any of your organic gardening needs - what a place! Smart, friendly people, not out to make a million and sell high quality products, seeds, trees, growing potatoes and a whole variety of organic gardening supplies. What a super place!!

Ahimsa Organics® Neem Oil - Organic Growers Supply

one thing to remember is that oil is oil is oil and will not mix with water so emulsify it - its easy and necessary.

J

• Like Like x 2
  19. I’ve asked the GC mods to add a “No stupid posts by morons” button in the Search options but that would really minimize the Results...

lol

j