Is my grow setup ok? thanks!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by islandnuggets, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Thanks to all the Grasscity community. [​IMG]I am going to start my first grow (4-6 plants) with a journal with my wife. I have already made a few decisions on what my setup will be like, and based on that I would really appreciate any expertise and advice that can help me have a successful grow.

I still have about 3-4 weeks to start from seed since I am waiting for the equipment needed for my indoor growroom. Therefore, I want to take advantage of the time I still have to make sure everything is setup the best I can (terms of knowledge and budget).

Thanks again [​IMG]

So here is the breakdown of my setup:

Empty bedroom/air: 9f length 10ft width x 10ft height (with one side with opening doors with air flow - plan to seal up leaving a bit of cool air flow from bottom with screen to prevent dust from entering) + (x2) fans) also bought a dehumidifier since humidity too high here.
    AK48 from seeds (4-6) and possibly some freebies (have not yet arrived from NirvanaSeed Shop)
    Medium: 650g coco coir brick (x2) hydrated and mixed with (x1) 8quarts perlite
    pots:solocups for seedlings until transplanted to 1gallon plastic poly bags, then 3 gallon plastic poly bags
    lights: (1x) 400w MH iPower cooled hood set, (x1) 600w HPS iPower cooled hood set
    exhaust: (x2) 240cfm fans for lamps with 6ft duct (still havent bought carbon filter, but will) and exhaust ducts will be airtighly fitted to another bedroom window on the other side of the room.
    nutes plan on using: General Hydroponics Flora Series QT - FloraGro, FloraBloom, and FloraMicro, 32 oz each and General Hydroponics CaliMagic for Gardening, 1-Quart, Maxicrop Liquid Seaweed Qt, Xtreme Gardening Mykos Pure Mycorrhizal Inoculant, 100 g, 2 Count
    Misc items: Oakton EcoTestr pH 2 Waterproof pH Tester, 0.0 to 14.0 pH Range, AcuRite 00613A1 Indoor Humidity Monitor, General Hydroponics GH1514 Ph Control Kit, 4x25ft reflective mylar roll

Still dont know which schedule ill be using for the nutes still more research to be done, if anyone can help please do so.

Environment:

We currently live in the caribbean. Temperate and humidity (since I have researched) must be controlled to make the best out of this grow.

Climate here is like this:

Temperature: coldest month (Feb.) averages 76°F; hottest month (Jun.) averages 82°F. (as far as im concerned i should be making sure my plants be between those ranges - possible a little cooler with 2 fans)

Humidity levels:
    lowest RH (Mar.) 79.3%
    highest RH (Oct.) 85.7%
    *I have heard that optimal humidity should vary throughout the different growth stages of the plants. Since I have 1 dehumidifier, I wanted to know if there is a safe range to keep all my plants in since I plan on having both flowering plants and seedlings and vegetative stage plants all in the same bedroom. If not any ideas to having two different humidity environments in the same bedroom (considering I'm on a low-intermediate budget).

I think I have covered mostly everything I need to make this work out for us and enough description so that you guys have an idea of what we have planned out. If I am missing anything, or anything that just doesn't sound right, please let us know.

Thank you all!! <3 Hope you all enjoy this as much as we will [​IMG]

2. You probably want RH lower than your stated levels during bud to stop some probs from showing up like powdery mildew etc. However saying that, I fight PM constantly and my RH averages 50 to 60% most of the time.

How do you plan on having veg and bud in the same room? You have to ensure no light leaks into the bud area from the veg area while its lights off in the bud area. (Veg requires 18/6 light schedule while bud is 12/12.) I personally use part of one bedroom for cloning and early veg on a 3'x6' flood table and then transfer them to one of two 12'x15' main rooms for final veg and bud stages

As for your nutes, my best advice is start with WAY lower levels than the manufacturer suggests and increase slowly. It's rare to damage plants with low nute levels but very easy to screw up a crop with levels too high. You will need a ppm meter to test your nute strengths before using.
    Not sure what u mean by plastic poly bags. Do u mean plastic pots with drain holes in the bottom? How are u planning on adding your nute mixture to your plants?

• Like Like x 1

3. Thanks a ton.. what i have been thinking is the following:

since veg rh should be around 40-70%
    and flowering should be 40-50%

i thought it would be a good idea to just try to keep the whole room under aproximately 40-50% except for the clones which will be in domes with extra humidity with mist sprayed on them throughout the day..

the nute schedule i got was from a website that has a guide on growing in coco coir. they recommend have a recommended schedule and the recommended brands on their website (www.growweedeasy.com)

when it comes to pots: yes they are plastic bags with drainage holes used to pot plants in them.

i do understand the importance of preventing light from veg area to flowering area (since can turn hermaphrodites) but thanks for warning me :)

other than that, how am i looking so far? any other recommendations? thanks a ton!!

by the way.. what did you mean by "fight PM"... afternoon and night time? and i was wondering...do you manage well while maintaining 50-60%humidity?

4. Sounds good keep huimidity around 40 like you said its fine for flower and veg...PM means powdery mildew just keep a fan on constantly, dont let it get too cool or humid and you should be fine..I use azamax as a preventative when they're around 3 week veg and week 3 flower...I do foliar and soil drench works good...gnatrol or something on the soil like sand for gnats

• Like Like x 1
  5. thanks! but do you think i should worry about pests since im going to be growing in coco?

6. Will you have a way to separate flower from veg with no light leaks ?