Is my biggest plant a male?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by FluidMotion, Aug 9, 2011.

1. what the title says.. I'm pretty sure it is :(, but just wanted to be sure..

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a male. I don't think it should grow out the rest of it's cycle next to your ladies.

EDIT: Male preflowers tend to show first, too.

3. yupper..shes got balls :) lol

4. #4 FluidMotion, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
    Awww man, it was 5 feet tall, too.. Well, time to pull that mother fucker :mad:

edit: Unless there's something better I can do with it? Should I just grow it somewhere far away and use it for hash at harvest time? The only problem with that is its in the ground, not a pot.

5. Is it just me or does anyone else see a couple pistils among those balls?

6. those cud be false seeds to a hermy... ive seen females with little white seeds that mean nothing if its a hermy it cant produce pollen

7. Male...Chop time...No hash will come from a male plant...

8. #8 flapflip, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    You can still turn the leaves to hash

9. Same thing happened to me, biggest plant of them all. I read somewhere that the males generally get taller so that the pollen can fall down onto the females. It was hard to do because it was so beautiful, but had to yank him. Took pics of the removal, but wont post cuz even tho its a legal grow, Ive never seen anyone posting pics with people in this forum. Here he ...was...:( Also read some where that there is nothing worth saving as far as THC goes. Is this true anyone?

Attached Files:

10. I have a looooooooooot of leaves, too. Turns out 2 of my 3 plants were male, leaving me with 1 female left and a hell of a lot of trimmings. I gotta be able to get some hash out of all this.

11. Sorry, but wrong...this type of thinking will leave you with a crop full of seeds...

Hermies can and will produce pollen...

12. Truth!! ^^

And The amount of THC in a male plant...even the leafs :rolleyes:...is so small that you'd need too much quantity to achieve any quality product.

13. Yup...I tried it once...never again as imo it wasn't worth the effort and the end product kinda sucked...

14. So I ended up making some Iso hash with the 2 plants cause I hated to see them go to waste. A 4 foot and 5 foot plant. Ended up with a little under a gram of hash. Not incredible, but it sure got me stoned :smoking::smoking::smoking:

15. Males are useless? Dudes, that ain't necessarily so!

Cultivation of Cannabis sativa L. in northern Morocco. (abst – 2005)
    Cultivation of Cannabis sativa L. in northern Moro... [Bull Narc. 2005] - PubMed result

In addition, the present study establishes that male plants, often considered deficient in delta-9-THC, contain levels of the same order as those recorded for female plants, both in the leaves and in the tops.

Flavonoid glycosides and cannabinoids from the pollen of Cannabis sativa L.
    (abst - 2005)
    Flavonoid glycosides and cannabinoids from the pol... [Phytochem Anal. 2005 Jan-Feb] - PubMed result

The identified cannabinoids were delta9-tetrahydrocannabiorcol, cannabidivarin, cannabicitran, delta9-tetrahydrocannabivarin, cannabicyclol, cannabidiol, cannabichromene, delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabigerol, cannabinol, dihydrocannabinol, cannabielsoin, 6a, 7, 10a-trihydroxytetrahydrocannabinol, 9, 10-epoxycannabitriol, 10-O-ethylcannabitriol, and 7, 8-dehydro-10-O-ethylcannabitriol.

I was taught that a "good" male was about as potent as his average sister. Males end up in brownies around here! And I have smoked male in the past with "decent" results!

Granny

16. :rolleyes: I'd never doubt you Granny :confused_2:, but It aint my cup of tea. And the results I've attained from trying to use males, have been lack luster and extremely disappointing.

17. Not to mention, almost all growers kill off males before maturity to avoid pollination...immature females are pretty weak too...;)

I've never let a male grow to full maturity myself...