Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is marijuana harmful or not?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by thereddfoxx12, Oct 28, 2009.

1. I don't really see much ranting about brain damage due to weed on the anti-drug websites anymore. My dad (who is a drug treatment CEO) informed me to be careful because it may be just a PR thing. And i see a lot of study's about the effects on the lungs, although vaporizing and edibles are available so i could care less. I want to make sure that it wont hurt my brain since i have a relatively high IQ (124 adult test at 12 YO). So yeah i have been kind of torn and would like to here you "seasoned tokers" tell me your opinions.:confused:

2. There is no evidence that suppose damage to the brain.
    Even the effects on the lungs are negligable.

3. I'm pretty positvie that it isn't. I know of and have plenty of friends and family who smoke regularly. My brother, who happens to have his masters in mathmatics and pulls in about 900 thousand a year, happens to smoke 2 O's to his head at least everyday.

He seems to be doing alright eh?

:hello:

4. I don't buy it. A person has to breath in oxygen at some point in time during the day.

5. No reported cases of marijuana linked to lung cancer and the whole study about the monkeys getting brain damage was a fake, they gave them no oxygen just pure smoke for 15 minute increments until they died off.

6. lol 2 o's a day who could even afford that?:p

7. 2 O's is not that much, really. I've done 3 in a day and I'm 100% sure the rappers are smoking a pound a day in their tour buses.

8. I assume you're being sarcastic. :p

9. yea i actually am familiar with the 80's fake monkey experiment that is still quoted. But in a online science magazine i read 2 studys (both very recent) that claimed brain damage to minors.

10. That was actually in the 70's.

Anyway, what you're hearing is about the detrimental effects of a young developing brain being exposed to any drug. Along with the lack of responsibility and maturity to use responsibly.

11. The claims that weed caused brain damage were based on faultly tests where they actually suffocated monkeys with marijuana smoke and the brain damage was caused from oxygen deprivation. I have a high IQ also 140's and a 4.0 gpa in college and I smoke pretty much everyday. It actually helps me out before tests because I mellow out and don't stress them too much. The only negative side-effect that I've noticed from smoking weed is that it sometimes makes you think too much. You will start to question things that you just accepted before, but that isn't always a bad thing.

12. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7npWDyxB7d8"]YouTube - Walk Hard - Marijuana Warning (HQ)[/ame]

13. #13 420friendly, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
    if you smoke weed from now for like 30 years you will not find yourself less intelligent, i wouldnt worry my friend. high till i die.

14. Yeah.

But when you work at home, and when there's a bong involved, the possibilitys are endless. He just smokes whenever he wants.

He's 38 and has his own home.

I swear to you i am not lying.

I pinch his pounders everyday.
    :D

15. There is no Brain damage to minors. But if your brain hasn't finished developing, (usually in your 20's) heavy marijuana use can slow the development of your brain. However, these effects are temporary. For instance if You smoke like 6 times a day where your stoned all day your brain development will be slowed, but if you smoke a couple bowls a day you will be fine. I have a friend that use to smoke a lot of weed. (and 8th-quarter a day). Just recently he cut down to moderate use, he tells me things are a lot clearer now.

16. I gotta disagree...I been smokin 28 years and I'm no less intelligent than when I started...If I'm lucky enough to live that long, I'll be smokin at least another 28 years, too! :wave:

17. You can smoke for as many years as you'd like and it's not going to affect your intelligence. If I smoke for 5 years without negative effects, why would that suddenly be different at the 30 year mark?

I highly doubt he smokes 2 ounces daily. That would be pointless and unhealthy.

18. #18 thereddfoxx12, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
    Actually the monkeys were not suffocated the brain damage wore off in a few hours. And regarding the harmful effects due to daily use i only plan to consume marijuana 2 times a month or so. Maybe more when my friend from back in Arizona fly's over to see me.;) Oh and regarding the friend who had 1/8 ounce every day things probably got clearer because he didn't spend most of his life high.

19. though i have yet to come across any studies that show concrete proof of brain damage or alteration, if you are concerned about any percieved risks, might i suggest either going very slowly (and not smoke so much you become retarded while high) or just avoiding it for now.

yeah, i know, it's safer than pretty much anything out there that can bring you to that state of consciousness... however, if you are worried, there is nothing saying you HAVE to smoke it. it's all a matter of personal choice and what you feel is right for your body and mind.

though, if this is your first time and your father is cool with it (or if he's done so himself) maybe make your first time with him there. that way if it gets to be too much for you to handle, at least you'll be in a safe place. if not your father, at least with some friends you know aren't going to do something stupid (i know a lot of people that have done really stupid things while high but that's a stupid person problem, not a stupid drug problem.)

20. 2 Oz? thats nothing, i smoke QPs everyday haha:rolleyes: