Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

is marijuana a gateway drug?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by atomickitten, May 10, 2010.

1. word. never seen it that way

2. Weed opens people's minds, so most likely it will lead people to other physically harmless drugs such as shrooms or lsd. It may lead to MDMA, but many people who roll don't necessarily smoke weed.

I would say alcohol and pills are the gateway drugs for cocaine, heroin, and other nasties...aka people looking to get "fucked up" instead of the psychedelic, trippy highs that weed and hallucinogens give.

3. No, but in an un related matter, where is my meth, crack, and heroin?:rolleyes:

Seriously, I have never done anything but weed, cigarettes (regular addicted cig smoker), and alcohol, and I started cigs and alcohol before I ever smelled weed.

The only exception to this is I twice used blunts that had small amounts of cocaine in them, and I did that accidentally.

I have told plenty of people I have never used anything but weed and they all tell me how smart I am, making me even more sure I shouldnt turn to other drugs. Not to mention that one of the people who congratulated me for only using weed was a woman who I thought was 30, but had used a lot of drugs, and it turned out she was 16, but she seriously looked 30.:eek:

4. Messed up shit...

5. I'd say to a degree. I used to think that marijuana was horrible for you, but when I tried it and found out it wasn't it made me think what else wasn't so bad. That led me to things like shrooms and lsd but I will still never do any pills, opiates, or any other drugs. As another poster said I even stay away from stuff like tylenol or cold medicine.

6. Guess I first gotta ask what brought you to weed? Was alcohol just not cutting it at the time, and therefore could you consider alcohol the true "gateway" here?

In reality alcohol is probably THE gateway "drug" for most if you wanted to label anything as a "gateway", but we as a society can't really say that because that would infer that alcohol is "bad", and we can't have those "crazy" ideas floating around out there.:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, weed hasn't really proven itself as any type of "gateway" drug, but it really does depend on the user. Personally, I don't ever see a need to try anything else. I get all I need from herb. If you are "worried", it sounds like you need to evaluate your self-control limits and if you are going to try other things, educate yourself as much as possible before doing so.

7. The only gateway drug is life. You're responsible for your own choices and actions and no intoxicant is going to magically make you want to do other drugs.

8. Weed doesn't open the gate, but its the nextdoor neighbor...When you're around weed the atmosphere will have people that try other things as well....So basically the community is the gateway, not the drug itself...Many people that do harder drugs may have smoked weed first, but there is nothing in weed that causes you to want other drugs....Many alcoholics started on milk, but drinking milk won't make you an alcoholic. Or somethin like that...haha iono watch the union

9. That theory is so phucking stupid

That's like me saying soda is a gateway to coffee. It's all a matter of choice, it doesn't force you to want to do other drugs.

10. Probably one of the best statements ever made on the topic of the infamous "gateway" drug.In the end, life is full of choices that for the most part, only one person is responsible for making; you.

The definition of wisdom is realizing that you're making more right choices than wrong ones. :D

11. i think weed has educated me on various drugs, and made me realize that most drugs aren't terrible for you, and just be extremely careful with the highly addictive ones. you can say that weed has led me to try more drugs, but i've always been curious about those drugs before i started smoking.

12. I think the last four presidents would all agree its a gateway to the top

13. Someone needs to let the Republicans in the New York State senate know that the gateway theory was debunked years ago, because it's the only argument they have left.

14. I would say that any substance is a gateway substance and that marijuana is only most notible so because so many people use it as there is a very low general concern about its effects on health, however, i too would have never tried acid, shrooms, or other things prior to my first experience high. But christ, only 2 months and considering Ecstasy? Going to assume K is ketamine, and no, don't. and Speed, lol, no. yeah, don't do those, at least stick with shrooms, lsd, and weed. MDMA is bad for your brain, you will feel it when you are older, and, you will regret it.

15. there is no compound in canabis 2 call it a gateway drug

thats just made up propaganda

as 4 u wanting 2 try other drugs thats just u and ur perception

16. nope. its mind expanding. as shrooms

17. I smoke weed. I never took a drag of a ciggerette, I never blew a line, never shot up anything. Barely drink.

Weed is not a gateway drug. I think previous posts have said it very well - that your mind and curiosity is a gateway drug. It becomes easier to do harder drugs when you're buying drugs and you know where to get them - all you have to do is ask your guy and see what comes up.

18. Ya, marijuana isn't a gateway drug in the sense that it is going to make you want to do something harder to get a stronger marijuana-like high. This sort of high can only be produced by weed for the most part, so you'll probably end up just moving from mids to dank. The only sense in that someone could say it is a gateway drug, is that, it is still in fact illegal. Therefore, to obtain it, most have to do so through the black market where they would be possibly introduced to drugs they may not have seen before. This could easily be solved by legalizing marijuana though. I personally smoke every day, and only fuck with weed and shrooms basically.

19. The first time I smoked marijuana I felt the instant urge to start smoking crack and heroin as well.

20. I have smoked weed for 10 years. Never done anyone other drugs other than shrooms.
    I say that tweak, coke, and all other overly synthetic drugs are bad...theres no point in doing them. STay away from speed...If you are dumb enough to try other drugs then it is you trying it, not the weed making you do it. Mushrooms and LSD i believe should be done by everyone at least once in their life. These should be used in a spiritual manner. Anything can be abused..live in harmony with the plant. My 2 cents.
    STAY AWAY FROM speed...i have lost many friends to the devils candy.