Is Legalization a good idea?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by RedPlumpTomato, Oct 16, 2011.

1. I'm new to smoking up but, I do have a question. Maybe some of you can help.

Most of my friends are, and have been, tokers for a long time. One thing a friend of mine mentioned was that , since the dawn of time, weed has always been the same price. A quarter is a quarter.

If we legalize Marijuana, won't the cost simply increase like everything else? I remember buying my parents a pack of smokes for $4, and, I was 9 years old. LOL.

Today, how much does a pack of cigarettes cost?

What if weed was legal, but, growing it became illegal? Wouldn't the Govt and corporations have total control?

Anyway, I have to admit, I don't know much about these things, so, I wanted to ask you all what your think. I could be over thinking this.

2. Yes it is.

3. Wow, you convinced me!!

4. Do you condone the arresting of people for a plant that is considered medicine and has no directly related deaths from its use?

I for one think legalization is a wonderful idea.

5. Not at all. However, I suppose I'm lucky to live in Toronto, where it's illigal, but, evryone turns a blind eye.

I'm simply concerened that if it becomes legal, and growing it illigal, than prices will soar.

6. To us it won't be considered legal unless everyone can grow. The prices won't be any different than they are now if it was legal but growing was illegal.

7. ^ I agree. I have a feeling that it may be illegal to grow...

If it was completely legal, than yes... what a world it would be.

Israel: Man, pass that shit this way man.
    Palestine: Sure man.. Here you go...
    Israel: Man, you want to go to war.
    Palestine: Nah man, not today. Too baked. What about you?
    Israel: Yeah, maybe another day. Pass the chips bro.

8. I'm sorry but if you even have to question whether or not legalizing marijuana is a good idea then you and your friends must be really naive. And the idea that legalization would increase the price is just flat out wrong. Also a quarter doesn't cost a quarter, unless you were toking in 1940. A quarter sack is called a quarter because it is 1/4 of an ounce, NOT BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT SHOULD COST.

9. I question what I feel needs questioning. How am I being Naive if I'm asking the forum to help clear something up.. You must not be very good at getting your point across..

However, thanks for the input. Very helpful.

10. The only way it would increase is tax, and with it being legal to grow(which it will be) the price will only decrease.

11. if it were legal, more people/companies would grow it. more product=lower prices. yeah it would get taxed higher but it would be the same with alcohol (hopefully).
    and about the cigarette prices- thats just inflation and other taxes being placed on tobacco. yeah cigs were $4, now there $5 or 6. everything was cheeper 15 years ago.

12. Why don't you just try your common sense at answering your question?

13. Is weed today affected by inflation the same way gas and bread is?

14. #14 Epicurus, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
    You're asking us to "clear up" something that should be common sense. It's extremely frustrating when people who smoke weed don't even know if it should be legal or not so I get a little agitated when people ask questions like this, my apologies. It's not your fault since your new to it but your friends have misled you and they should know better.

15. Ahh, found the quote button..

OK, I would agree brother. Thanks for helping me out with this.

You would be surprised that the idea of common sense was invented by people who had none.

16. Oh the irony :laughing:

17. I had to actually use google to lookup "Irony"..

Oh my god.. Google is destroying my brain!!!

18. Black markets inflate prices. Regulated markets provide competition and drive prices down.

19. Think of it this way.
    Legal=Huge amount of money saved that would normally be wasted locking up nonviolent offenders. Huge amount of medicinal uses. Huge benefits from industrial hemp. Harder for the kids to get cause you take away the dealers. It's pretty much a good idea all around.

20. [​IMG]
    Could switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?