is joining the military a mistake

Discussion in 'General' started by Stoogemeister, Feb 14, 2010.

1. No, you can get a non-threatening job in the military and still get the experience added to your future resume. Plus the money that you get in the first place for college and education.

2. #3 ipack, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2010
    no. I did my one term in the Marines and got the fuck out.. now I get benefits like a motherfucker, and it instilled discipline in me that I needed at the time.

I failed out of college, was doing a few too many drugs, and needed a change.. Did it suck at times? without a doubt.. but looking back on it, it made me a better man, and I don't regret it.

edit: plus I could pull major pussy in the dress blues

3. I watched Jarhead today, so my opinion is a little shaky. But I'd probably say yes. Personally not for me, but If it ever came down to it...:confused:

Marines are kickass. Born death machines. Fucking sweet.

4. Can't vouch with personal experience, but I know a dude that punched himself in the face to get out of the navy.

5. No its not.

The experiences that you will endure in the military im certain will never leave you.

Even though times will not always be pleasant, you'll come out a much stronger man/women.

Not including benefits that veterans get.

6. haha for punching yourself.idk

GOOD TOPIC MAN

7. Depends on the person.

I have advised friends (and as a former teacher, students) to enter the military, I have encouraged others not to join the military, and I have even supported a friend who became a conscientious objector.

Though, I do generally advise people to go for the Navy, Coast Guard, or Air Force...significnatly less chance of getting shot at.

I've had several friends who ended up being 'lifers' and absolutely loved it. They loved everything about it, from the discipline to the friendships to the sense of purpose. For some people it's a great fit.

In an era with 17%+ real unemployment and Obama continuing to make war against the economy, the military is a pretty good choice for a lot of young folks.

8. Well. if your joining to be a infantry grunt. there are no jobs for you after coming back home.
    but if you join to say be an engineer, plane/helicopter pilot, etc, you can have good paying jobs afterwards.

ya know it would suck to join, to get sent over, then a month later get blown up by a goddamn IED.
    fucking pussy terrorists

9. No, although it's not for everyone it can be a wealth of info and personal growth. Some of the benies after serving arent bad either.

10. yeah it really depends on your situation once your in it. my dad loved it, but he served during a time of peace after the Korean War. You don't want to go to a warzone.

my friend can attest to that after serving a tour in Iraq

11. everyone and anyone that ive seen pass through the military has developed skills that set fourth them in life being the most successful and hard working, they are always the best of what they do

12. Well im thinking about enlisting in the Air Force for an IT job. Im REALLY considering it instead of college. I wont have to pay for the college if i join, and I need the disipline. I am sorta worried about getting shipped overseas but not really because either way, i would be working on PCs or sumthing like that over there. Which might be bad cuz if im in communications i could be a prime target to destroy. ya know? lol

13. it would be if you're like me and you don't like having people tell you what to do all the time.

14. be a diesal mechanic and make mad money afterwards

15. Sure if you want to be a sheep a follower a brain dead useless robot scum bag!

16. I say its like anything else in life if you join and have a poor outlook about everything sure it'll be a mistake if you join and have an open mind then it prob will be a positive thing

17. :confused_2: Oh come on man, the benefits are incredible, and can set you up for a great career outisde of the military. Not every branch is like being an Army infantryman... which it seems thats what you think ALL military is like

18. It really depends on the person and what you want to do. If you don't want to be combat arms, do something else. I put in 10 years and I met most of my bestest friends, had some of the freaking funniest times, but also had to deal with some major dickwads and miserable times. Wouldn't trade any of it for anything. My advice, fwiw, is to research, research, research. You'll find stuff on the web that you won't believe, so take the good and the bad, but don't go forward ignorant.

19. Yes, but I could so how it could be beneficial. Depends on your morals I guess, but this comes from an army deserter