Is it worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Ranger4x4.0, Dec 29, 2017.

1. I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL Coupe 3.4 Twin Duel Cam v6. It has 94,000 miles, had 90,000 when I bought it. The car is in good shape inside and out besides a few things I will mention.

The front left (driver side) fender is faded, don't think it'd be hard to repair. The fiberglass spoiler trim piece thing on the trunk lid has paint chipped on it. The trunk lid has like 10 different faded bumper stickers on it that I can't seem to get off. The interior is pretty clean, back seat is spotless, never been used. Only thing I could find wrong with the interior is some carpet trim that hides the wires under the dash was hanging down so I took them off and put them in the trunk. The a/c knobs are missing but one, and looks like it's also getting ready to break since I use the one knob for all three.

When I bought the car, it would barely run, and smelled like a chainsaw. I replaced the plugs and wires, fuel filter and coil packs. It runs like new now.

The CEL light is on and flashing. I checked it when i bought it and it had plenty of codes. Most have disappeared. The codes that are on it now are cylinder 1 misfire and something else I'll have to look again. Abs light is also on, not blinking, and brakes will lock up very easily.

The car still smells like a chainsaw most of the time, probably due to the misfire. And it does have a bad exhaust leak somewhere, it sounds horrible.

This week I drove it a total of 960 miles give or take and does great on the highway with plenty of power.

The one reason I want to fix it up is because it's somewhat unique. I've seen one, just 1 other car like this in my lifetime. There's plenty of these in the 4 door models with the 3.1, but you never see these cars with 2 doors, which was the only one with a front redesign, and if you did, it was never a 3.4 dohc.

So is it worth saving or should I just drive it till it's done?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. The cel is flashing because the misfire is bad enough to damage the cat. You'd have to start there.

Exhaust leak...... where? Why?

3. You'd have to diagnose it, figure out what it will cost to repair, then decide if it's worth it to you.

4. IMO it is definitely worth fixing. Those are good cars. And low miles on that.

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught.

5. That looks like a Washington license plate. If so you wanna sell the car?

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught.

6. It would be worth fixing as long as it isn't cheaper to buy a new car. It is still a 96 cutlass and being unique alone doesn't increase a car's value.

Try an eraser wheel on those stickers. I just used one to remove 18 year old vinyl graphics and it worked quite well.