Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Dizzy, Jun 23, 2022.

1. If Somebody Wanna Build A Flying Air Craft Just From Scratch Parts Maybe A Helicopter Or Plane Or Blimp! Maybe Just A 1 Or 2 Person Air Craft Is That Possible? I J/W I Definetly Not Smart Enough To Do It My Self But It Possible For A Person To Who Knows About That Kinda Stuff? An Would They Get In Trouble If It Works An They Fly Around In It?

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes it's possible. I believe you need to get the aircraft passed/certified by the authorities first and it has to be labelled an "experimental aircraft". You need all kinds of drawings and data to prove it's air-worthy during the process.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Oh Ok Well Thank You For The Help! :)

~Toni~

4. its cheap and drafty, perhaps after you have had the baby? lol

this one in Eire 27 secs, all here: Easy Flight Powered Parachutes | The Adventure Starts Here!

Birds Eye view

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. other than flying Irelands Easy Jet(you won't want too) its the cheapest flying ever, tho I've not done it myself

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Yeah the FAA would frown on a home made aircraft not already approved.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Not sure of the laws but as long as its classified as home made personal experimental aircraft is pretty much fly or invent at your own risk as long as your not buzzing or crashing into peoples homes.

8. [​IMG]
    And then your experimental plane crashes and that's all folks.
    John Denver was killed in his when it crashed on the beach near Morro Bay Ca.

BNW

9. What you might be looking for is anything that meet the definition of "Ultralight" aircraft, which you can buy kits for to assemble.

The feds (FAA) does not register (give a tail number) to "ultralight" defined aircraft nor is any pilot training or certificate enforced (though your state may require it) Source on the federal regs and ultralight definitions here
    https://www.usua.org/Rules/faa103.htm

Its a doable dream for a lot of folks if you want, Source.... my friends who use my property to launch ultralights across the neighborhood my hill backs up to on their way to buzz around skyline drive! (I've only had the balls to do it twice around a 5 acre field, but its amazing what some silk, a welding torch, and some small engine repair skills can do noawadays!
    Resized_20210919_075021.jpeg
    20220630_153227.jpg
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. You also have to give way to official airspace. Not even drones are legal to fly within a certain radius of any airport.

I don't know what it's like over there, but I can only assume it's similar. There are smaller bodies that govern ultralights, hang/paragliders, etc. that do require certain licenses and, at minimum, insurance. Shires often have local rules in place dictating what is a sanctioned launch zone, at least for the gliders. Whether any of this is enforced or not, I don't know since I'm not a part of the community. I only shoot the shit with the locals who skirt the dunes.

It's pretty cool. I'd like to give it a go one day.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Here it is a mix of state and local laws, where I am at the only thing the locals enforce is quiet hours between 10pm-7am on weekdays, and that any aircraft, drone, or other aireial object cannot pass closer than 100feet to private property without permission from the owner.

Lots of glider launches off the moutains to the east on nice days becasue of the prevailing thermals between the mountains and valleys here. My firends come over the low hill behind my house and usually land on the back 5 acres out of sight of the subdivision.

Like I said, shit terrifies me (ultralights, not flying in general) but its nice to know if things ever get full mad max we can trip the fuck out. Plus it never hurts to have friends in high places, literally, plus some of those fuckers are fast, like over 75mph fast
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. That Bottom GIF Tho!:eek::hello::yay:

~Toni~

13. FAA says ultralights can't exceed 62mph airspeed as well as certain altitude restrictions and commercial or military flight paths

Much like highway speed limits, most people view that more as a rough guideline although 75-80 is about the most you can get out of a small engine or glider and only if you have a prevailing thermal and a big mountain.

(in the afternoons when the sun warms the western facing slopes of the mountains to my east, even the hang gliders are getting 16 feet of horizontal distance for every foot they fall)

Since I live on top of a flat hill almost dead center between the eastern and western ranges, I've let my friends talk me into hosting a few events with their glider and ultralight clubs.

Heres a view of my property from the eastern mountains where they launch (near woodstock VA) at around 5,000ft. Just have to guess which one, but the distance in between here and my field is only about 7.8 miles.

Typically that gives them plenty of room for error to make it down to my place regardless of conditions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beers and weed are typically served afterward in my quanset huts, a lot of guys will come on a saturday evening, leave their cars, trucks trailers over by the quanset huts, and pass out in there (the one thats my workshop has heat, AC, bathroom and 4 shitty bunk beds I never threw away from my dad's old hunting cabin)
    [​IMG]
    (edit, blue ridge hang gliding club is the place I sometime let use my property if my friends are with them that day)

So past the tree line here the hill slopes down into a suburban neighborhood, which is where my house sits. This 5 acres has paved access from another street outside the neighborhood, plus a gravel road I graded up from the back of my house though the trees where it doesn't stand out from the subdivision.)

So past the trees, down the hill, and your sitting in my driveway, where they text me before they launch and I can watch them come in, over my house and land once they launch off the eastern slopes here.
    20220629_160923.jpg

The wife and I worked so hard to find this place and renovate it right for us, we had the benefit of tying into the wealthiest neighborhood in town so the kids have plenty of friends, but up behind the house we have space for my shops, loud music, dank weed, and most of the heavy equipment.

I love being the neighborhood nutjob, what I see walking down the street numerous times a day
    [​IMG]

Vs what those people see back when they look up my hill if I've been in the shop all day and came down to the garage to get some food and a bowl.
    upload_2022-7-6_16-23-33.jpeg

Damn, I must be higher than I thought, never shared this much online, think thats good for now

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1