Is it possible to have a sixth sense?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by h i g h, Mar 22, 2012.

1. i was wondering this and now im confused

2. Its the universe, anything is possible

3. Sure, we are aware of 5. There could certainly be more, and there probably is

4. I like to believe we do, something like a psychic sense or something.

5. I can't grasp the concept of there being one. The only thing I can think of is something psychic like mentioned but all our senses are physical. Was wondering if there is the ability to have another physical sense that perceives real life if that makes sense I'm really high right now idk

6. all of our senses are based on electrical impulses sent into our brain

when you feel, smell, taste, hear, see (this and hearing are almost the only exceptions) something, you dont feel it, your brain decides its received the correct info from the correct place and makes you believe you feel it.

headaches? You know there are 0 nerves inside the brain to actually feel a headache....

reality is a perceived illusion

7. I forgot to realize that our actual senses are what perceive reality so in a sense they are the actual makers of reality like sirsog said. Therefore can there be another sense that creates another way o perceiving reality since the sense just merely has to be a series of electrical signals sent to the brain. I think were on to something. But again I apologize for being high of none of this makes sense

8. yes, it's your sense of time. /win

9. just to think about it

"Humans have more than five senses. Although definitions vary, the actual number ranges from 9 to more than 20. In addition to sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing, which were the senses identified by Aristotle, humans can sense balance and acceleration (equilibrioception), pain (nociception), body and limb position (proprioception or kinesthetic sense), and relative temperature (thermoception).[225] Other senses sometimes identified are the sense of time, itching, pressure, hunger, thirst, fullness of the stomach, need to urinate, need to defecate, and blood carbon dioxide levels."

10. I thought about this once...oh so long ago, and tossed the idea around for a bit. I came to a possibility that I couldn't think of how to test. I thought that perhaps the ways with which we interpret our 5 senses could lead us to discovering a sometimes tapped 6th sense, that gives us cognitive insight into (though generally subconsciously) coalescing possible future events (we would now experience them as strong gut feelings or sudden dread, etc.)

I went further to think that if that was happening to us that perhaps altered chemical states were interuptting our signals in such a way as to be able to decipher it (prophetic flashes of insight e.g., a "visions quest")

... that was also a time of many tabs, caps, cubes, and beans....

Edit: perhaps I was running my own longitudinal(sp?) study.

11. A lot of those fall under sense of touch
    And I don't think I would classify "need to defecate" as a sense

12. where did that come from? Most of those are by-products of having the 5 main senses. For that last sentence all but the sense of time are not really senses. How they got "blood carbon dioxide levels" I can only guess. I suppose being awake and alert is as much a sense as knowing you have to pee or poop....

13. think about it fags

14. Clever..

But really, it required little thought to come to the conclusion that what you posted was a bunch of bs
    Blood carbon dioxide levels is a sense? Need to urinate? What?..

15. We have seven senses. Sense of balance and temperature.

16. [quote name='"m00zix"']We have seven senses. Sense of balance and temperature.[/quote]

Tempurature is touch lol

Balance though, that's a good one hahahaa

17. I think temperature should be distinguished from touch.

On second thought, nah.

18. I was always under the impression that was a lie. I feel like a lot of things like humor, empathy towards others and even a sexy lady can all be senses themselves.

19. lol, it's topics like this that make me think people get really high before posting on here :p

20. I sense high people.