Is it possible to get lots of weed with no Co2?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BiggFunkNugg, Jul 4, 2008.

1. I have never been able to find a source for Co2 and feel like my crops suffer heavily because I am lacking it.

I know u can grow bud without Co2, but is there anybody out there who gets seriously nice and profitably crops without ever using Co2?

Without using Co2, what was the highest gram to watt ratio u ever got?

2. Well I actually haven't started my grow yet but I have lots of plans in the making. It definitely seemed like I was gonna have some Co2 problems in my room since it's gonna be sealed, so what I did was go the DWC (deep water culture) route where you use a "bubblestone" that creates a lot of oxygen in the water and the plants get it through the roots. Then on top of that I'll use a sprayer filled with carbonated water to consistently spray the plants and the room to help insure they get adequate air (even though the bubblestone is pretty much guaranteed to be enough as that's what DWC systems are known for).

edit: fixed the co2/oxygen misnomar, thx doober

3. i dont use co2 and look how big my plants got check it out in my sig

4. no matter what the plants need Co2 to live. at it's simplest, water+light+co2 == buds

5. i UNDERSTAND THAT. THEY GET cO2 FROM THE FRESH AIR THAT IS BROUGHT IN. I AM TALKING ABOUT EXTRA CO2. oBVIOUSLY i AM NOT GOING OUT OF MY WAY TO DEPRIVE THEM OF THE CO2 THEY ALREADY HAVE.

6. As long as you don't have like 30 plants in flowering in a small area, no supplemental CO2 is alright. Smaller grows don't need CO2 and they still have excellent yield if maintained properly...

7. If you want extra CO2 try the yeast/sugar method.

8. plenty of fresh air circulating thru your grow 24/7 with the standard 350 average of C02 thats always in the air we breathe will suffice for growing excellent amounts of bud. If your yields are low, your problem lies elsewhere.

linedrivr

9. Low yield can result from the following:

high temperature
    low temperature
    low CO2
    high humidity
    low humidity
    poor nutrients
    strian problems
    poor lighting
    too much watering
    too little watering
    high ph
    too low ph
    damaged lighting schedule
    mold/pests

not to mention countless others. don't jump to conclusions before you check everything that you can. It is possible to get 2 lbs per 1000w light without using artificial co2. More ventilation is always better. Drop 150 on a good inline fan, it is worth it.

10. Thanks for the tips guys. I'm no longer discouraged by not having any.

11. I wouldnt be discouraged at all. Alot of the technics and methods discussed on the forums is all about bonus stuff. MJ is a weed and a prolific one at that. You can get very good grows with out all the bells and whistles. Will the extras (like a CO2 emitter enhance the grow? Yes. Is it an end all be all of the grow? No. Getting the bacics down and learning the plant is the best thing you can do at 1st. Then as you understand the subtlties of the plant and its growth cycle then consider adding the little extras to take a good drow into a great one. Just my .02. Good Luck Bro!

12. thats just making it seem as if he HAS to have a very expensive setup to get a decent yield,

plants need light water air a growing medium and nutrients, if your air exchange is good c02 is by no means a must have but wil boost your yield if used properly, if used improperly, it will just cost a load od cash for hardly anything, cannabis plants can use up to 5 times the amount of c02 that naturally occurs in the air,
    but without growing in a sealed room isnt c02 useless?

i hope i did not sound rude, i know nothing about c02 enrichment except for what i have read, but am looking into installing dampers in my exhaust to seal it off to keep the c02 in, i may mess with it if the pvc hydro hut dosent kill my plants with a 1000 watt system next run,

13. c02 to the roots equals death.

the air stone your using to bubble your DWC system is pumping oxygen to the roots, direct c02 to the roots is seriously bad

14. woops! sorry about that. i wasn't paying as close attention as I should have and i had been smokin'. but ya you're right.

15. i used the yeast/sugar method and i have noticed the buds were alot fuller and looked really healthy had about 1.4oz out of the one plant with using CFL lights from the local hardware store used the 42w CFL had 4 of em hooked up on it.

started with 3 plants but 2 turned hemie so i chopped em down and kept the female ^^

16. exhaling in the small closet each day for a bit, will supply the room with co2 adequately i think?

17. Cant be bothered with all the typing, heres a post I chucked on tenacity's GJ a while back:

Howdie Tenacity - Will give you a few pointers;

C02 enrichment is a decent idea, c02 enchances the amount or volume of vield by about 20%, I am not sure exactly where you are in the grow (week wize) however, it really cant hurt. A few concepts you could possibly apply are; c02 candles, Dry ice, LPG, heaters (pending gross area) and finally my favourite, good old soda stream.

C02 candles have their ups and downs, having a live flame in a room can often be dangerous, if you chose to go this way I would suggest buying some smokeless and odorless 99% pure wax paraffin candle and lamp liquid solution.

Dry ice is simply frozen C02, this method is great for small areas. One KG (Killogram) is the equivilant to one KG of C02. You would require one KG or thereabouts per day as one KG will last around 18Hrs and raise the PPM (Parts Per Million) To around 1300PPM. It is generally a good idea to place the dry ice into a polystyrene box or something similar. I would also suggest handling the Dry ice with gloves as its temprature is generally about 42 degress celcius, below zero.

LPG heaters suprisingly also provide a good source of C02, the ignition of LPG (Liguified Petroleum Gas) returns C02. Therefore, if your home climate is cold switch on an LPG heater, warm your home and deliver the C02 to your plants. LPG heating is relatively cost effective as it does not use electricity to function. The primary costs are merely purchacing a heater and paying for LPG refills (which will last many, many hours), I guess the downside would be the increase in heat.

Soda stream is also a good idea, soda stream machines use C02 to carbonate the water. Buy yourself a soda stream machine. Put your Per Hydra (PH) balanced water, plain water not water with nutrient additives into the machine, carbonate the water, put it into a mist sprayer and then spray over the leaves. For this to be effective you need to turn your ventilation down or off for a period. Only practice this method while the lights are running as the plants can not intake the C02 in any other period.

C02 in general is currently rising due to the level of combustion of fossil fuels. The average C02 levels in the air are about 340PPM. For enhanced plant cellular construction the suggested PPM level is 1500PPM or thereabouts. Raising the of C02 about 2000PPM becomes toxic to the plant and 5000PPM toxic to humans. So, with the aim to increase the C02 levels, high enough to truely see a difference in the plant a air tight construction is generally nessacary.

18. What do you think about soda water? Taking a 2 liter bottle of soda water and opening it in a small grow room.

19. Personally, a tank and a reg system is the way to go, it all depends what you are trying to achieve at the end of the day though..

I think the major issue of just chucking a bottle of something 'that makes' C02 is you have no proper intsruments to acurately quantify the amount of production, I just don't see the point. In addition to that, alternate methods seem cheap to begin with, over time a key of dry ice a day really adds up.. Not to mention the inconvenience.

If your going to do it, do it right. Air tight, regulated / timed C02 induction, spend the money.. you wont regret it.

But more, on topic, I wouldn't bother dude. In a small time unit for personal amounts you wont really notice the difference, maybe a couple tighter nugs..?