Is it possible to do DWC with tap water?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Smokexbreak, Dec 10, 2018.

1. As the title states I’ve been doing some research but haven’t found much of an answer. Can you use tap water for DWC? Or is it just RO?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. You can use tap water for your DWC. Just take into account the TDS or EC of the tapwater when calculating your nute strength.

Now, if your water system has a sodium based water softener, then your tapwater will have too much sodium for your plants and you will need to install a RO filter on one of your taps. If your tapwater is treated with chlorine, let the chlorine gas-off for 24 hours before using the water.

3. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. This is a breakdown of my cities tap.
    The middle column is my city.

5. I’ve done it 3 times with success. Just get some PH up and down and keep it at 5.8-6.4 and make sure there’s not light otherwise ur gonna get algae.

6. Your tap water is fine to use. Good luck.

7. After looking at your journal last night I think I’m going to give the hempy buckets a whirl. Would you mind if I picked your brain a little when I start getting set up?

8. Not at all. :) I posted some new pics this morning if you're interested. You can't get much simpler than Hempy buckets. Good luck with your grow.

9. I saw them!! I’m subbed up for it! I appreciate the willingness to help!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Just harvested a 3.5 qt Hempy. Solid rock hard colas on a 4 week veg from clone. Will do 3 gallons next time so I don’t have to feed 3x a day but all Perlite with H&G nutes kicked ass

A8993769-FBC1-4195-8959-72B7C88D932F.jpeg B66FD9F2-1E4B-4C1B-8733-AE6FBBD25EC8.jpeg 62553949-546A-4615-AB55-1574CD38EE83.jpeg 6122C608-67DA-432D-ACCB-4A358AB8E5EA.jpeg E8061799-C6FA-4729-ADFC-878E1573EAAD.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Right on this is just making me wanna the hempy bucket even more. I’ll be In touch with both of ya at some point soon I’m sure!!

12. Alright here’s my first batch of questions for you guys.

I’m going use a 3 gallon bucket.

I’m going to put a gallon in the bucket drill my drain hole above the water line.

I’ll be filling the bucket up with the perlite and rinsing all the powdered crap off to get the sludge out. Then I’ll scoop the perlite into my bucket with the Res hole.

Am I right so far??

When I rinse do I need to PH the water?

In hempy buckets the PH of the water in and out need to be between 5.8-6.2 shooting for 6.0 right?

13. A hempy bucket has a hole 2" from the bottom.
    I rinse my perlite with tap water that isn't pH'd, then I cover the drain hole and fill up the bucket with 5.0 pH'd water and let it sit a couple hours before removing the tape and letting it drain.
    I pH around 5.8 going in - it's always a little higher coming out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Okay that sounds a lot easier! Do you rinse the perlite I. The bucket you’re going to grow in or a different one?

15. Rinsing is a pain but necessary - I use 2 - 5 gallon buckets filled with water. Pour some perlite in the first bucket, swish it around, scoop it out by hand, put in the second bucket, swish it around and scoop out for use.
    This is what the sludge looks like after rinsing.
    IMG_1472.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  16. Okay I’ll use the same method.

Then soak in ph’d water for a few hours.

Now I’ll be starting in root riot cubes and one I see roots I’ll transfer to the 3 gallon hempy buckets.

Now until the roots him the Res I’m hand feeding daily right?

17. Yes - feed daily for the first week or so, then every other day. I always tip my buckets first to drain what's left in the reservoir before I feed so everything is fresh. Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. This forums still going? Come on man you think they sell “Hydroponic Water” in stores? Everyone starts out with “Tap” water. The calcium won’t effect ur plants. It may clog up ur air stones at the VERY worst.

19. This forum took a different turn if you’d read.

• Like Like x 1
  20. And btw my hydro store sells RO water for ¢30 a gallon

• Like Like x 1