Is it okay for my boss to do this?

Discussion in 'General' started by ADIV, Feb 26, 2011.

1. So I was supposed to work this morning, but last night I called my boss and told him I couldn't come in because I have the flu.
    He told me that if I can't come in, It's my responsibility to get somebody else to work for me, and if I can't get someone to cover my shift, I'm going to get written up. :confused:

I don't have everybody's phone number, so how the fuck am I supposed to do that? :mad: I tried calling the four people who's numbers I DO have, and none of them will work for me.
    I promptly told my boss he could fuck himself, and I'm expecting to be written up the next time I see him.

Is this even legal? If you're sick, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be your job to find someone to cover your shift!
    To make things worse, this is the same boss that told me not to come to work when I'm sick.

2. 1. Are you a female?

2. Do you have sick days?

3. LOL WHATS WITH YOUR SIG hahahahah

4. Not a female, and I don't have paid sick days, but I don't see what that has to do with whether or not I have to find my own replacement

Chronik-Judge, I was really high and made it in ms paint. 'nuff said lol

5. It is legal.

6. As a guy who listens to lame employee excuses on a regular basis, and is constantly getting fucked over by kids who wont show up for work, I have to ask you....

Do you expect your paycheck to be dependable?

Shouldn't you have to be dependable for that to be the case?

I have literally fired people then sent their last paycheck to the wrong address on purpose, because I was angry that I gave them a job, and they screwed me over. Unless you're just useless and there's no reason for you to actually be there, your job probably needs you, which is why they probably scheduled you. If they don't need you, then you should thank them for the job, if they do need you, then you should fucking show up or cover your shifts.

7. chill the fuck out. He's sick. OP what do you do?

8. This. Sounds like one of my days...

It is legal and they can do this. Just don't do it too often or you will get fired.

You should look in your employee handbook or whatever they made you sign when you got hired. All of that is in the fine print that they don't tell you about.

Remember though, you signed it.

9. I am dependable, and this is only the second time I've called in sick in the last year. I'm sure my bosses would agree that I'm a good worker, and they know I wouldn't call in sick unless I'm actually sick. Especially since they've had to send me home before when I came in, bound and determined to work, yet too sick to do so. But thanks for assuming I'm a punk kid who doesn't feel like going to work :rolleyes:

Thanks for sticking up for me, man. I'm a clerk at a grocery store.

10. Sorry I just get frustrated man.

I've got 3 girls working in this restaurant, and all of them have kids and are young. I swear to god every day of the week I get at least one person calling screaming, "my baby my baby my baby is my life I gotta take care of my baby i can't come to work"

I understand that you have to take care of your kids, but having a kid is not an extenuating circumstance. I actually told one of them that if she was only able to show up for 15 hours of work per week when scheduled for 30-40, that she might consider looking into social programs. I told her, "sometimes people have too much on their plate and they just can't handle working and taking care of the kids, that's the exact reason why they created welfare. you should go get on welfare if you're not able to hold down this job". She looked at me like I was being some kind of asshole, but the real fact is that I can't take care of other aspects of my business because I have to rewrite my schedule every day yet she still wants to get the paycheck. I hired her to do a job during set times, and she's not doing it. If she were a product, I could just return her to the store where I bought her but unfortunately she is not.

Now getting sick 2 days out of a year, if your boss is giving you shit for that, he's probably just mad at all the other people who call in and is just taking it out on you. That sucks. Get a Dr's excuse and your ass is covered.

11. It's alright man. I know how stressful dealing with subordinates can be, and I work with a lot of people who exhibit the type of behavior you're talking about. I'm pretty sure they're just being assholes about it because I'm young and they assume that I'm calling in on a friday night so I can go party instead of working.

12. anytime man

13. #13 Postal Blowfish, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
    ffff... he says he's sick. no offense, OP, i'm just applying a little House logic. Everybody Lies.

Maybe he is sick, but maybe this is also the ninth time he's been "sick" this year. I don't think the OP covered any previous absences. And absenteeism is a pretty big problem for employers in general. I doubt they're usually gonna write you up the very first time it happens, so I'm guessing this isn't the first time. Anyway, if they would do it the first time, you don't wanna work for that place anyway.

edit:
    Ok, he says its the second time. Maybe the employer is a prick, seeing how everyone is so desperate for a job, deciding he can be Saddam Hussein about his business.

14. I get sick so often

15. I haven't been sick in three years. *muscleflex* :devious:

:D

16. That sucks man, you should be ok. Get well soon.

17. At first I was like wtf is it but I got it after I saw "Aryan bastard", lol.

18. What I would do to avoid this is to just show up, if your sick it'll be noticeable and they will send you home as to not keep you around the other employees/customers. You won't be held accountable because you tried calling in to say your sick.

That's what I did when I worked at tim hortons, although it was my mom making me go in even though I was sick.

19. I would have just showed up... worst case scenario - you show up and your boss sees you are at least trying (+points with boss) and if he tells you to go home. boom.

He probably only said you're going to be written up because it's 1. the night before and b. it was a friday night.

20. Dude fuck that. You work in a grocery store..when I had a shit ass job like that, I didn't take shit. I mean, yea it's a sucky job, of course people have to work but once in a while it's not a bad thing to ease up on people. They are the same just like you. If you are sick or you have a kid to take care of...by all means, do that first. Jobs like that come and go, take care of yourself first and if your boss bucks up about it, tell him to run the cash register himself.