Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is it OK to grind herb in advance?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by humble toker, Jun 19, 2015.

1. I usually grind my stuff well in advance before smoking-vaping, actually. I use a grinder first, but it gets very coarse, it has to be finer for a vapourizer, so I continue by rubbing it on a mesh, and it turns into fine powder. Then I put it in an air tight container, and it lasts me perhaps a week or more before I use it up. 

Is it OK to store ground herb like that? isn't it getting worse when ground? 

2. Its fine. The only downside is your going to loose SOME trichomes the more you grind it. 

I didn't know that. Is it that bad to destroy those tri... trich... whatever, by grinding them too finely?
    Also, does it mean that I shouldn't grind weed too fine for a vape? 

4. The trichs are rather fragile, the more you grind it the more it's broken down, and with you keeping it in the jar I imagine there's a lot of kief stuck on the inside of the container, here's some trichs that's were undisturbed inside one of my recent pick ups.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434738653.136862.jpg

5. Trichomes are 'hairs' that contain the THC. The little crystal looking things on your bud are trichomes. If you grind it, I don't think they get destroyed, but rather stuck inside the grinder. That's why some grinders come with kief catchers, to catch all the trichomes that come off when grinding. Its not too much of an issue, it should only very slightly affect potency,if at all. Also, I wouldn't personally grind it TOO fine, but just enough to where theres no more chunks left.

6. What you're doing is fine and there will be no noticeable difference in high

7. Actually I would say that high itself would be relatively the same, the chemicals are all still there regardless of how much you ground it up.

The biggest difference will be in the flavor and smoothness of the smoke. Grinding it and letting it sit makes it loose most of that. I used to grind my buds up in advance but realized it was much tastier and smoother if I waited to break the nug up till right before smoking.

8. More surface area (aka grinding it up) allows for more oxidation which dries out and degrades the bud. But since you have it in an airtight container you should be fine. I personally like to grind up my bud before each sesh, but to each his own

9. I hope so, or I'm in trouble!

10. If bud is ground up, it gets drier. That doesn't really matter that much, since I prefer dryer weed to a sticky one when smoking.

11. I prefer nugs over shake, the grinder will probably take some of your trichomes, but if you have a grinder that's been used a lot you should have a nice coating trichomes and other Chems that all ready stuck to it, so either your bud picks up more trichomes depending on how resin up your grinder is or your grinder just takes away little bits of yo high chemical.

12. Personally if it's an option I would keep it in bud form in an airtight container until you're ready to use it. Keeping it in bud form, in addition to maintaining taste, keeps all its trichromes and structures intact. Cannabis DOES degrade overtime when exposed to heat and air (and sometimes light, but that's more for long-term storage). By grinding it up super fine, and leaving it for an extended period of time, you're exposing more of the bud and as a result more of the active compounds to the elements. Depending on how long you leave it form, this will affect potency (albeit, not a crazy amount).

this is just my personal opinion, but to each his own [​IMG]