Is it frowned upon to have poor social skills?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by thezool, Jul 19, 2012.

1. I often have very little to say but I always wish I said more.

Is it wrong to say very little in a social situation? I feel like saying little is confused with lack of interest or dislike for the person you're with, rather than being shy or anxious - thus having little to say.
    I often try too hard to have something to say and end up saying something I don't really "feel" out of fear of offending the other person.

What does everyone think? Is it ok to be quiet; especially due to lack of social skills?

I put this in the philosophy section but I'm not sure if it should be here! Deal with it. :p

2. I wouldn't say frowned upon but People definitely don't enjoy that trait. But thts not what matters. What matters is YOU don't enjoy it. Fuck them dude. Your the key to your own happiness

If its due to being shy/anxious that's fear, no lack of social skills. Fear is only there to stop you from doing what you wan to do. The more you chase fear driven goals ( avoiding social situations due to fear) the they will pop up in your life pushin you from happiness and that's obviously what your looking for here. It's what everyone is looking for whether they know it or not.

Put yourself in these situations and instead of struggling to do anything just let it come to you. If nothing comes, fuck it. If something does come your slowly destroying your fear making you more of what you want to be (Noone wants to be scared). The key is to never oppose your thoughts. If something negative comes into your head It only bothers you becAuse you bring I forward. Let the bad thoughts pass by while bringing forth the positive ones. Look at a negative thought as just another thought and it can't Bother you

Like everything though thats easier said than done. Even here practice
    make perfect, but overcoming fear is one of the biggest and hardest task of your life. In my opinion it's what makes life what it is. So go get em tiger! :smoke:

3. Look up avoidant personality disorder and tell me what you think OP

4. [quote name='"The Third Eye"']Look up avoidant personality disorder and tell me what you think OP[/quote]

What thee fuck.

I thought i was feeling down because of my current life situtation, but this....

This hit the nail right in its fat fucking head

5. Start wearing tshirts that say ridiculous things that will make people approach you.

6. This shouldn't be called a disorder.

It goes against my religion to label people as one thing all the time.

7. I got called histrionic once and it really hurt my feelings.

8. There's nothing wrong with silence, as it is in silence that awareness grows out of. You see the truth when you look honestly, quietly, without fear. Observations are best made in silence. What you say should come from the heart anyway, and that has to be inspired - quality over quantity my friend.

Learn to be silent in mind as well as voice, and that will reveal exactly what you need to know.

:smoke:

9. 1 in 20 people are psychopaths/sociopaths. 1 in 5 fortune 500 companies are psychopaths/sociopaths. Most of the rulers in history, sports legends, and yea... A serial killer here and there... But having a lack of sociability is not a "bad" thing. Hell, depending on what you want to accomplish it could be useful.

10. There is a misnomer about social skills in that you have to talk a lot to have any.

11. I found your problem. You care too much what other people think of you. Why do you care if you offend them? It's not your problem, it's theirs. If they get offended, fuck 'em, they were too much of a bigot to hold a conversation with you to begin with. People who get offended by something are the close-minded idiots who populate this earth. They are the majority population, unfortunately...

Being quiet is completely fine. You don't have to be in perpetual conversation. If you feel like you have a lack of words when it comes to conversations that you do want to hold, increase your vocabulary or learn more about the subject. Also, don't be fake. That is what you're doing. Instead of saying something that you think they want to hear and/or censoring yourself, try expressing yourself!

12. Dude it's same with me. I can talk easily to people I like. But like when people I don't like come in the conversation, I shutup because I nothing to to say anymore lol.

13. Fuck em, let em frown.

14. #14 blackleaf28, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
    I dont think thats your problem at all. Its a wonderful trait to not talk much, because everyone loves to talk about themselves, and will love you if you let them

the problem, i think, is that your attention is on yourself. Youre focused on the thoughts in your head, because youre anxious, and other people pick up on the fact that they dont have your full attention. It makes you seem disinterested and makes them feel that they are boring and not worth your full attention. thats when its a social turnoff

try focusing on other people to the point that you dont have time to pay attention to your anxious thoughts. I dont mean stare them down, i mean mentally focus on them. One well placed question from you that shows you really heard what someone said, can keep them talking for 45 mins, and have them come away feeling like youre a great conversationalist without you saying anything at all

people like to know theyre being listened to, thats all

15. Is it frowned upon to have poor social skills? I think that depends on a few things.

How good of a listener are you? It's ok if you don't have much to say about yourself. But if you don't isten and give input, then people are going to avoid you for the most part.

I think it also depends on who you're talking to. If you're talking to some arrogant douche who likes to constantly talk about themselves, then you should be good. If you're talking to someone who expects you to engage in a conversation with them, then you might run into some problems.

If you have poor social skills, the best thing you can do is to just get out there and improve them. They're called social "skills" for a reason.

16. In my eyes, no because I'm very accepting and understanding.

Through a lot of other people's eyes I would say yes, yes it is frowned upon.

17. It depends on environment and how you were brought up.

18. [quote name='"Philosiraptor"']

This shouldn't be called a disorder.

It goes against my religion to label people as one thing all the time.[/quote]

I agree that it shouldn't be called a disorder. Its really just a personality type. The golden question though is, do you hate yourself enough to change?

19. I think the use of the word "poor" next to "social skills" answers this question already.

20. I have always been introverted socially, but I have been told I'm a good listener. And this must be true, as another poster said, people love to talk about themselves. I have found myself in numerous lengthy conversations with my part of it being a yes, or I see, oh really, or some other remark that only serves to keep the other person talking. It's amazing how much personal info people will tell you just because you seem to be interested in their lives. And they walk away thinking what a nice person you are, while you're thinking, Geez, I can't believe all the personal shit she just told me....anyway op, use it to your advantage....