Is it best to just NOT tell your parents?

Discussion in 'General' started by Diplo, Feb 28, 2013.

1. I have a good relationship with my parents (I'm 20) and have always been honest with them about things. I'm jealous of people I know who have parents that either condone smoking or smoke with them, that's where I would like to be with my parents.

They know I drink but I also know that they don't approve of marijuana (they have no idea I smoke it though). I think it's because the only things they know about Cannabis are the lies that were told to them, and nothing else. They are paying for most of my college education so I still do rely on them. Over the phone the other day my dad was telling me about some person he knew that was addicted to pot, I tried my hardest to not stop him right there and tell him how that wasn't possible.

I'm confident that I would be able to drop the knowledge bomb on them and explain why marijuana isn't as bad as they think and that it actually has medicinal purposes. But than on the other hand parent's can be irrational and oblivious when it comes to things like this.

I can smoke as much as I want now because I don't live with them and am not in danger of being caught (obviously), a part of me just wants to see their reaction.

I'm doing very well in school and could easily argue that it has only enhanced my life.

So, is it best to just leave that info out or clue them in?

2. It depends on the parents, and the circumstances, but in this situation I'd not tell them because I'm receiving money from them. :smoking:

3. Def clue them in. My sis is a BUM and they know she gets faded everyday. Has anyone of your parents ever smoked it?

4. i wouldnt drop it right on them. instead have a couple educated discussions about it. you dont have to tell them you smoke, just talk about it in general. then if the time comes and and you feel comfortable in their reaction you could tell them

5. Are they capable of changing their opinion after a rational explanation of why it's okay? Or will they just fly off the handle, not listen, and cut off any help?

My parents personally would just be ragey about it and not really think rationally at all - hence why I dont tell them, but if I thought I could get them to come around I would. Easier not to lie :)

6. let them slowly find out, if you're in college, and they know you drink, Dad knows you're puffin the magic dragon.