is hydrated lime ok?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Rant, Dec 12, 2012.

1. I cant find powdered dolomite lime in my area. All i can find is pellets or hydrated lime. Is it ok to use hydrated lime?

2. I say no.

Agricultural lime = Calcium Carbonate - reduces acidity (if you're going to use lime, I prefer straight Calcium Carbonate.

Lobster Meal = Calcium Carbonate

Shrimp Meal = Calcium Carbonate

Crab Meal = Calcium Carbonate

Oyster Shell Flour = Calcium Carbonate

Hydrated Lime = Calcium Hydroxide - fast acting, short term (hard and fast)

Dolomite Lime = Calcium Carbonate plus Magnesium

Gypsum = Calcium Sulphate - neutral pH

The oyster shell, lobster, shrimp and crab meals would be my first choice.

J

3. The pellets are powdered lime formed into pellets with a fast dissolving binder that dissolves with the first watering, releasing the powder.

They work just fine. I've used them outside in the garden. If you've ever tried to spread powder on a breezy day .............

All of what Jerry mentioned (EXCEPT the hydrated) is good stuff, but only the dolomitic and calcitic lime is available locally.

The oyster shell, crab, shrimp, and lobster would have to be shipped @~10x the cost, so I have no experience with them.

Wet

4. I use the lobster compost from Coast of Maine in my soil so don't really add much for lining agents.

I did order some oyster shell a few years back, but only like 5 or ten pounds so shipping was nominal.

I just picked up some Hi-Cal Lime a few weeks back when I was at Fedco just to have something around. I showed a friend the package and he believed it to be just straight limestone - agricultural lime.

See, I use Pro-Mix for my peat component, which comes already slightly limed, so I don't really worry much about it and haven't seen the need. I've never seen a pH issue using it and Lumper had told me that I shouldn't worry about it cuz ProMix already basically had taken care of it.

I think, tho, between the ProMix already slightly limed, and the little bit of oyster shell I added, plus the lobster compost that I'm just all set.

J

5. Yeah, the ProMix has some, just not enough it seems, so that little bit extra you add gets you just right.

That Hi-Cal sounds good. How much for how much? I picked up a bag of Pennington (40lbs), that is derived from calcitic limestone. It's pelletized, which is ok with me, I got it mainly for use in the garden, rather than dolomite. It was $15+, compared to $4 for the dolomite, same size.

But, with lots of clay in the soil, I want to avoid the build up of Mg. In the containers and my mix, it seems to be a non issue and I mainly use dolomite for that. Stuff does leach out of that (peat mix), not so much with clay soil.

I feel that's where a lot of the confusion/discussion/rants on dolomite come from. Taking what can happen with certain soils and dolomite and trying to apply it to peat based mixes. Like apples to oranges.

Wet

6. The Hi-Cal was $6 for five pounds or $13 for fifty from Fedco - pretty comparable.

J