Is Hope Ignorant?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by YEM, Jan 23, 2010.

1. #1 YEM, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
    Do we hope to make ourselves feel better or do we hope because we actually think our hopes will come true?

Is hope empty? What does it mean to 'hope'? Does hope prevent us from taking action, and make us bystanders in situations? When there is nothing we can do, all we can do is hope. But is hope actually accomplishing anything? Does it have any effect on what takes place?

I'm under the impression that whatever comes will come, whether you bring it here yourself or it is brought here by someone else. Why would we hope for anything different?

Hope to me is denial. Accept every waking second of your life and do not hope for anything different. Hope leads you astray, true seeing and understanding sees through hope and brings you here. Brings you to what is now. Brings you to what is, because if what is wasn't what it is, then where would you be?

If one is devoid of hope's grasp, then they are neither hopeful or hopeless. They just are, they don't look into hope's delusion and therefore they are free.

Become the moment, free yourself.

2. Does hope always have to be nestled alongside desire?

What if true freedom is allowing yourself to ride the waves, not soar above them?

3. I agree very veri much

I believe the concept and frequency of "hope" is a product of our society and the psychological diseases that plague most and keep the general population of the world in poverty and strife.

Those players of society who are at the very top do not have hope.

Those that manage to climb the latter do not have hope, they have..well faith and determination. An unwillingness to let anything else but their goal be true. They don't hope for something, they know they are finding it.

Those who never make it...have hope.

I think the idea of Hope is circulated so much because it is profitable. It is denial and it is a ceiling people place on themselves.

4. #4 livingsoul, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
    Answer
    from my perspective

[FONT=&quot]energy and belief[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]belief[/FONT][FONT=&quot] is concept you put energy toward as being possible[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]trust[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – from your perspective concept is[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]faith[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – put energy toward concept continusously including when concept seem other than possible[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]hope[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – put as little energy toward concept as possible to continue belief[/FONT]

basically
    hope is seemingly passive continuation of belief

5. Fuck hope.

6. When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

You've gotta have hope. Without hope, life is meaningless. Without hope life is meaning less and less.

7. I also agree with whatever we do, an end result will come. Now I think maybe we should reconsider what hope has to offer. Hope is a way to unify the people. People seem to clinch onto the idea that all will work out well. Why should we call that ignorance? Is it ignorance to want something for the better of the planet. I hope each day that this world will not destroy nature, and all her wonders. Is that ignorance? Hope is our current time machine. We act now and hope that our actions will work later. In fact I would say without hope, we would not act. We all need a final product to look for, and motivate us. So I guess I view hope as a motivating force, rather than ignorance. :)

8. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9Cs6KPTus]YouTube - George Carlin-Fuck Hope[/ame]

Basically exactly how I feel. Except for the marriage and career part. :\

'Cept I'm a bit more cynical, in that I feel humans have or can out-do all of the boundaries of reality. There is a plan, made by god, and god is man.

If hope works for you, great. But applied at the wrong time in the wrong way it can be disastrous. So why bother?

9. i hope not...

hope is a motivator...not a hinderence....

carlin...most of his points were silly and ill-conceived on just about any topic he shared a view on...but funny at times...but funny does not equate to correct...

10. Correct doesn't equal correct.

Hope is ill-concieved. It is intanglable and otherwise worthless, on par with prayer. Where would the first instance of hope come from, I wonder? Most likely some down and out schmuck praying to the sun, hoping for food, or water, shelter, or possibly status.

You can hope all day, but food either is or isn't going to come.

Especially today, hope is just another marketing tool.

11. I have to agree with the original post. Hope is a crutch. You cant live ur life based on hope, or u will always be in the same situation. I am sorry to say this but i have hoped for many things, good things for myself and loved ones (still do sometimes) only to have my face rubbed in the mud over and over again. Hope=Bullshit, its sad but true. And to the people that say what is a life without hope, wake up and look at the world, seriously.

12. hope can be like smoke'n weed. It may not be right or the best for the situation but it makes it easier and I guess better in some way to digest the day to day.

I hope I find a lb of super silver and 50g's in small unmarked bills in nicely packed backpack
    I know this shit will never happen but it feels good to hope it would happen-

13. i guess it depends on what you consider hope to be. to me, hope is the outlook that things aren't doomed to pain and failure. it's not like praying or anything. it's just going about life with a good an attitude as possible.

15. well said, imo...

16. I totally agree however understand the thought process behind those that say fuck hope. Interesting question to ponder, let me light one and ponder that for a while. :smoke:

17. "Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness."

--Architect of the Matrix