Is going to burn my house down

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by muchomango420, May 28, 2011.

1. So i am doing a outside grow but i took a small cardboard box built a frame for it out of wood (ran out of screws so i duct taped some of the braces) took some plastic put it down in the box and shoved the frame in over it stapled tin foil to it and addeda power strip with 3 100 wat (28 watt) cfls with 1750 lumens each my box is runing over 100 and when i temp gun the power strip it is at like 120 why are cfls putting out so much heat

Will put a pic in when i figure out how

Attached Files:

2. a b c d e f g

3. you need ventilation and aluminium foil is not good.

"Aluminium foil is widely used for thermal insulation (barrier and reflectivity), heat exchangers (heat conduction) and cable liners (barrier and electrical conductivity). Aluminium foil's heat conductive qualities make it a common accessory in hookah smoking: a sheet of perforated aluminium foil is frequently placed between the coal and the tobacco, allowing the tobacco to be heated without coming into direct contact with the burning coal."

4. get rid of all the foil asap. all it is doing is magnifying the heat build up, use a reflective non heat conducting material such as mylar.

also that is a very small area so all the heat will just build up if that box is closed.

So, cut a whole in the top part of the box near the lights and put a small fan such as a computer fan to extract all the heat out. also put an intake hole on the opposite side at the bottom so fresh cool air is constantly being sucked in creating negative pressure in the box.

additionally put a small desk fan blowing from the floor near the intake pointed up towards the plant and the extraction hole to get fresh air around the plant promoting Co2 exchange, cool air, and a sturdy stem and branches.

CFLs dont produce much heat but without proper ventilation youd be surprised at how how hot they will get in a small area. I had the same exact problem and still do to an extent, because I have 10 CFLs in a garage cabinet.

5. also, with that being said, try and double or triple the size of that box if you can, It looks a bit small and you wont be able to fit much of a plant in there.

6. This could get interesting.

7. i just threw it together for babies seedlings/veg so they can get a lil bit bigger before i transplant them outside,didn't even pay for any of the matierls,if you can't tell

8. Build a real box.. Paper Burns easy

9. I might be wrong but 3 bulbs for one pot may be over kill.

Good luck M8

10. Nah bro i just got one big ass pop in there plan on putting 8 solo cups in there,wiren up a fan in the morning where is the best place to place it