Is FoxFarm Bottled Nutrients Organic ?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ganjagroman, Jun 10, 2012.

1. So I have this friend who swears that FF Bottled Nutes Like Big Bloom are organic. From what I've been learning from all of you guys... I don't think much of anything in a bottle at 15.00 - 25.00 a pop is good to use for our babies and the micro organisms living in the soil right ? he was just reading to me the ingredients on the bottle that sound like a lot of the stuff we amend and use in teas but idk.. i didnt think FF was organic. Seems a lot like that Scam that ComfreyQ was talking about. Can you guys shine some light onto this ?

2. #2 ComfreyQuery, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    Only using the most twisted definition of the word 'organic' the Fox Farms (United Compost & Organics) Big Bloom Liquid Plant Food (0.01 - 0.3 - 0.7) is allowed an actual 'organic' certification vs. the OMRI scam.

From the description on their label blab is as follows:
    Uh huh........

Rock phosphate powder in a liquid? No comment needed

Earthworm castings - would these be the same crap they use in their potting soils?

A better name would be "Why Bother?"

Make a tea from real earthworm castings along with kelp meal, organic Alfalfa meal, Aloe Vera juice and some liquid Silica and then let's talk about label drivel like liquid fertilizer is a live culture of vitamins, amino acids, natural growth hormones, enzymes, and beneficial organic microbes

Leave this crap on the shelf for the uneducated and unmotivated customers. No shortage so they'll continue to stay in business.

CQ

3. [quote name='"ComfreyQuery"']Only using the most twisted definition of the word 'organic' the Fox Farms (United Compost & Organics) Big Bloom Liquid Plant Food (0.01 - 0.3 - 0.7) is allowed an actual 'organic' certification vs. the OMRI scam.

From the description on their label blab is as follows:
    Uh huh........

Rock phosphate powder in a liquid? No comment needed

Earthworm castings - would these be the same crap they use in their potting soils?

A better name would be "Why Bother?"

Make a tea from real earthworm castings along with kelp meal, organic Alfalfa meal, Aloe Vera juice and some liquid Silica and then let's talk about label drivel like liquid fertilizer is a live culture of vitamins, amino acids, natural growth hormones, enzymes, and beneficial organic microbes

Leave this crap on the shelf for the uneducated and unmotivated customers. No shortage so they'll continue to stay in business.

CQ[/quote]

Can you shorten this up so I can quote it? ? Best explanation to date. Haha

4. Sounds like hippy bullshit vs marketing bullshit to me. I won't even bother you with my bullshit.

5. Damn hippies.

Peace.

J

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you.

7. So old haha

8. the big bloom is but thats all the others are all chemical hell their grow looks like neon green toxic waste

9. this is a huge misconception that sadly a lot of people are caught up in. i guess cuz they make a soil a few organic products and one of their bottles is organic that all their stuff is. i dont know why so many people think this.

they even think that bloom booster package thing with the cha ching and other bottles is organic. yeah im organic i use fox farm. umm ok.

i learned to just stay away from the bottles cuz a lot of the ones that say organic are not and they just throw that word around. now they say "organic based" whatever that means. there is black and there is white, organic based sounds like grey.

people are using that pure blend pro and think theyre all organic. even the earth juice and age old.

i dont know if you could trust any of these companys that are making organic nutrients in a bottle. maybe biobizz?

stick to making your soil with things that are for sure all organic and if you use a bottle use the ones you know for sure like humic acids, kelp extract, fish enzymes, etc you dont need a liquid fertilizer made by some cool company.

i use an organic cal mag by general organics and i was just wonering about that one earlier too. probably not 100% organic.

10. #10 mjmama25, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
    Just so everyone knows, there is a big difference between organically based, and true organic. Many companies now will claim their product is organically based. All that means is it has a few organic ingredients, as well as non-organic ingredients. I have to admit, I fell for this line myself.

Hell, water could even be the organic base they are referring to, LMAO. The only "organic" nutes I've tried and liked we're the roots organic line. I can't claim they are 100% organic since I haven't tested it myself. But I know when I open the bottles a thick brown sludge pours out that looks exactly like all the organic amendments we use....not neon green like FF or clear like some companies. It's what I used while I was still getting the hang of organics. Now I'm mixing my own teas and top dressing instead.

11. I don't trust anything in a bottle that claims organic except silica and neem, those ' organic' bottled nutes...how do you think they break that stuff down to liquid form? Not organically

12. #12 Possuum, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
    When the term "organic" is used it means different things to different people depending on their point of view or in the case of unscrupulous captialists who tweak the law to their favor, throw the term "organic" on a host of products and though within the fertilizer label laws definitions some of the "organic" sourced materials won't pass muster with the NOP or the OMRI.

Read this link from a 2005 article published by Rodale and know that since that time till today many are still fighting the issue. All the while fertilizer distributors/repackagers stay within the label law but screw the honest folks buying on faith that the product they are holding in their hands that says "organic" is in fact "organic" by definition of NOP, for example, but in reality can not be used in an NOP sanctioned program.

"Organic" fertilizer may be organic, or it might be a surprise

This is the link to the AAPFCO website. I'm sure you're thinking the same thing I'm thinking which is, this group is very self-serving and not a slave to the USDA, the NOP, or the OMRI, rather they're probably paid "consultants" for other interests. Otherwise, why wouldn't this emperical group get with the program and protect farmers and consumers from harmful packaged "organic" products.

AAPFCO Home Page

And here is "the law" for packagers and distributors of fertilizer. Now you know :)

http://www.aapfco.org/pdf/label_brochure.pdf

And as you will read each state has the ultimate authority on what goes on a label. AAPFCO is just a recommending body of .... "people".

PS: If one is ever interested in understanding what "organic" means to farming/agriculture then the only program to follow is, in order of priority, the NOP followed by any others such as OMRI. The NOP .gov website is pretty specific as well is OMRI. These companies that are feeding "organic" to the masses are using semantics and literary license allowed by state law. If you're really pissed about it write your state representatives and shut 'em down. Good luck with that. Really, the best defense is an education of the subject and understanding what constitutes NOP organics versus the other "organics". Make sense? Ciao!

13. When the term "organic" is used it means different things to different people depending on their point of view or in the case of unscrupulous captialists who tweak the law to their favor, throw the term "organic" on a host of products and though within the fertilizer label laws definitions some of the "organic" sourced materials won't pass muster with the NOP or the OMRI.

Monsantos New & Improved Organic Roundup!
    Advanced Nutrients All New Organic Grand Master Gardening Program!

Now you too can be an Organic Gardener! Our Organic DDT & Organic Flouramite can kill your fungus gnats!

Our OMRI Certified Organic Agent Orange will wipe out your Powdery Mildew -

As Seen On TV...

14. [quote name='"jPinkham"']I don't trust anything in a bottle that claims organic except silica and neem, those ' organic' bottled nutes...how do you think they break that stuff down to liquid form? Not organically[/quote]

This is the stuff I believe is a good product. It's guano, worm castings, molasses, yucca, kelp, and soy protein hydrolysate. All the same things we use in out soil mixes and teas. And it looks exactly the way I would expect it too. Like a thick brown sludge. In fact, it looks just like the goop left in the bottom of my watering can after I make home made teas. I always have to add a bit more water to the can to wash out the solids that sink to the bottom. I believe there are some true bottled organic products. Just not FF.

Attached Files:

15. [quote name='"mjmama25"']

This is the stuff I believe is a good product. It's guano, worm castings, molasses, yucca, kelp, and soy protein hydrolysate. All the same things we use in out soil mixes and teas. And it looks exactly the way I would expect it too. Like a thick brown sludge. In fact, it looks just like the goop left in the bottom of my watering can after I make home made teas. I always have to add a bit more water to the can to wash out the solids that sink to the bottom. I believe there are some true bottled organic products. Just not FF.[/quote]

It very well could be, I haven't ever tried it but back a few years ago I tried growing ' organic' with earth juice lineup and pro mix... I myswell of just grown with fox farm, then I tried adding manure and a couple ammendments, still 'organics' wasn't any better then my chemical grows it wasnt till I started reading on here that the bottles were exactly why, ever since then I've been pretty sketchy about anything in a bottle

16. I can respect that. I think it's sort of like my skepticism of autos after growing a crappy batch from nirvana a couple years back. I didn't trust any autos after that. I'm still not sure about them. But now a couple years later with the technology improving, I realize they may not all be bad just because I had a bad experience.

Likewise, I think 99% of bottled nutes will be crap, but I like this one relatively new brand. If you find any info about them being the same as the rest, I'd be very open to hear. I don't want to recommend anything sub par.

17. [quote name='"mjmama25"']
    I can respect that. I think it's sort of like my skepticism of autos after growing a crappy batch from nirvana a couple years back. I didn't trust any autos after that. I'm still not sure about them. But now a couple years later with the technology improving, I realize they may not all be bad just because I had a bad experience.

Likewise, I think 99% of bottled nutes will be crap, but I like this one relatively new brand. If you find any info about them being the same as the rest, I'd be very open to hear. I don't want to recommend anything sub par.[/quote]

Mjmama,

You try Autos indoors or out? Ill probably never bother with them outdoors again, but I love growing them indoors, totally different results.

Boro

18. [quote name='"Borophyl"']

Mjmama,

You try Autos indoors or out? Ill probably never bother with them outdoors again, but I love growing them indoors, totally different results.

Boro[/quote]

I tried them outdoors and they never autoflowered! After the fact, I found out that nirvana autos were notoriously unstable.

Lately I've been watching a few friends grow pandora autos outdoors and critical mass indoors. Both are WAY better than the excuse for an auto strain I grew. But I still talk to a lot of people who claim even the frostiest autos still have crappy highs. I can't speculate about that though because I havant smoked any of the modern autos.

Just for the record, I'm mainly an outdoor grower. I veg indoors over the winter, but my set up leaves a lot to be desired. Just a t5 in my toolshed.

19. I've grown autos in and out, and like boro said indoors is the way to go with them. my biggest yielding auto with best high is still thunder bloody mary from samsara