Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

- Is college necessary?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by EddieNashton, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Basically OP, if you don't have a business or wealth to inherit and do not go to college, you have to start your own thing, and if you can do it like your saying go for it man it will be a grind.

college gets you in the market, if you don't want to do that
    the military (go Navy) gets you connections and in the door just as well even better as college

2. I have the same point of view to all of this... thought about going military just to have the experience and try for seals but I don't want to fight for our government's personal agendas

but yeah he's right, if you feel you can make it without school that's good motivation and give it a go

3. Seals and Airforce get you in like you went to Harvard, but neither of those are things I'd choose.

4. I went to college and am a small business owner. College may not have been "necessary" to achieve this but at least now in the doldrums of daily life I have interesting daydreams about ideas and concepts I may never have considered.

5. yea college kids make a extra 1 million dollars in their lifetime lol after they are done paying back the big ass lone and living with their parents till about 38 and working at gamestop or being a subway sandwich artist just taking anything not in their field because they cant right now because the bills are a rolling in from college. My 8 year old nephew has a degree i think actually, that mother efer has a meen ass resume yo and still cant find a job they tell him he has no experience, my point is everyone has a degree now its not what it was back in the day to have a degree it does not hold its value like it did in most fields these days i am not saying all but most.

I mean if you're going to be a doctor u need college it just really depends on what you want to do not everyone can have their dream job and smoke weed all day from their garden of 20 plants in their basement someones got to dig the graves for all these dead mother fuckers. But in this country we have it in these kids brains from when they are in high school that college is the answer and its going to solve all your problems and wisk you off on a money carpet you get out what u put in but that cliched phrase is not often true now a days with this whole every ones in college thing.

Who's going to build the houses the buildings do the plumbing, electric etc of tomorrow what happened to the apprenticeship programs in this country their should be better and more of them more options for people for on the job training. Or does everyone in america want to be the boss man outsourcing our jobs away i mean really what is wrong with being a hard bare bones worker and working your way up the ranks in your company/job there is your experience baby no degree needed unless the job wants to pay for it because i sure as hell wont i do not work for companies that hire and filter people based on a piece of paper that is a bad sign for a company.

6. Yeah college really opened my mind to new ideas, just college is worthless in the learning part because you have to teach yourself almost everything unless you get good teachers...it's funny cause I went to a 4 year school and a community college so far, and the community college had wayyyyy better teachers than my 4 year internationally known school

7. Depends on what you want to do...if you want to be a doctor, lawyer or scientist then college is absolutely necessary, no way around it. If you want to start up your own business then college will help you a lot. Even if you don't know what to do in life, you will still have a great experience at college and learn about life and such, and you're still more likely to get a job than having no degree.

8. im pretty sure you have it backwards. in bad times when there is not a lot of companies hiring, a degree can only put you ahead of the competition.
    if people are applying to mcdonalds with degrees then how the hell can someone without a degree expect get a better job than at mcdonalds

9. #49 jimbobbybob, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
    I'm going to have to side with this guy...maybe the gov is planning this bad economy so everyone goes to college and gets GOVERNMENT STUDENT LOANS.......big profits for the gov? Btw the college thing is a scam, the gov is just making money off of everyone and tells us we need to go to college to be successful. I know of people, not personally but my parents do, who were told to forget everything they learned in law school and had to relearn a new system for their law firm...I mean not everything, laws don't change, but strategies do I guess

In my opinion most 4 year degrees can be done in 2 years...I'm in computer science and engineering and I could get that done in 3 years if I didn't have to take B.S. (edit: B.S.=bull shit) classes.
    Why do we have to learn american history in high school, and then go to college and RELEARN the same shit? Did we learn it better cause we're now in college? If I go into politics first thing I want to focus on is education, because admit it...we're just teaching our kids to be dumb and ignorant.

P.S. - the gov making the bad economy was a conspiracy JOKE so you guys know :)

10. The US gov neither profits, nor loses much on student loans. It is not a conspiracy, goofball.

11. It all ready depends on the person honestly. Doctor? Yes you have to go to college, there are fields where college isn't needed and like you said in the time that you would have taken in college you could be making mad money. Take Real Estate for example, no college degree required, just passing a 40 hour course. Of course you want to take follow up classes ect. In the 4 years it takes to pass college, if Real Estate, you could have your brokers license which means you have the ability to open your own Real Estate agency.

12. wow two big fails up there conspiracy guy and pay 20k+ to compete to flip burgers guy like the mother fucking employers would want someone with a degree to flip burgers knowing they probably wouldn't be there for more then 6 months lol.

13. that's funny because my sister had a 20k loan with a 15% interest rate....no money to be made off of that eh

and yes, companies WILL hire people with degrees before others NOT because of their ability but because a person with a degree MOST LIKELY (means not always for the idiots out there) has better work ethic than one without a degree

and for those who didn't read my whole post...
    "P.S. - the gov making the bad economy was a conspiracy JOKE so you guys know :)"

14. GOD DAMNIT this guy is right!!!

I work at a cemetary and am currently doing just this.... I'm 19 years old, and make 15 an hour for my first job ever....no college...i mean call me a lucky motherfucker if you so choose, but all i'm saying is, no, college is NOT necessity to be EXTREMELY successful in life.

15. I like college alot because for me its a place where people have the desire to learn and grow intellectually. And I think one of the most valuable things college teaches you is how to master and apply a body of knowledge. + i have a pretty good scholarship situation

16. I can understand your thinking, but college is a lot more than just getting a degree. Aside from learning a lot of stuff, you learn life lessons, go to parties, and college is where most people meet their true love.

Just kidding, most shit never works out perfectly just like that, for anyone.

17. but you have to work amongst dead people.

18. Small business loans are hard to come by these days. Any loan is hard to get these days unless you are established and have collateral. List of college dropout billionaires | Ask.com | Ask.com
    Read the new Biography on Steve Jobs too. He dropped out of college but then attended classes he liked, not the ones they were forcing him to take. Colleges also "overcharge" and you are on the hook to the Govt again meaning besides the debt you are born with, I think it is 40 thou or so now.
    People are real quick to get up in arms about the bank fees but no one says anything about the exorbitant cost of college. It is waaaayyyy over priced and the govt involvement in education keeps prices high and limits the competitive pricing that would otherwise drive the cost of education down.
    These days colleges are indoctrinating not educating so well, they are arranging the required courses and such to skew your brain to think about things in a certain way and if you are used to thinking outside the box or are very independent your grades probably won't be good unless you swallow it down and give the expected answers. That is also what they did in the USSR before it fell. That type of teaching takes away your individuality and feeds the mob mentality that pits one side against the other when the US is about individual freedoms and shouldn't have only 2 sides.
    The best thing to get success is hard long hours doing what you love to do. If you read biographies of those who succeeded w/o college, you will find them saying that is the key.
    Good luck.