Is blazing a sin?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Sublime 420, Feb 20, 2007.

1. I'm just wondering if anyone out there is a christian or any form of it, and i'm wondering if you guys think blazing is a sin.

Genesis 1:29

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

But Obviously there are plenty of bible verses that argue for sobriety.....

Discuss!

2. Hey, I'm just wondering some peoples opinions on the matter...

I personally think it's a sin, and I still get torched every day :p

3. well...(According to your religion) If your saved, it doesn't matter how many times you sin. So toke up, you'll be forgiven. If your not saved then you must be going to hell, so you might as well get high on the way down.

4. No, I do not believe it is a sin. I have posted my thoughts on the matter elsewhere and won't dive into it again... At least not yet.

The original poster would seem to care, as would some others I imagine.

5. As long as its taken with thanksgiving I don't think its a problem.

It's when you're ONLY gettin' high your problems become big.

6. If by "sin" you mean normal, everyday natural behavior, then no, it's certainly not...

There is no such thing as 'sin'....

7. sorry to bring this up, but the way the bible was written it can be interpreted in almost any way, being the reason we have like ten billion different sects. If you really gotta believe all that then I say it is if you thinks it is. If you believe its wrong and you're violating something precious and degrading yourself by blazing, then you probably shouldn't be doing it until you've worked that out. I personally find it enriching. when I was still a christian I didn't consider it a sin

8. the idea of being "saved" is not so much a christian idea as a protestant, or even fundamentalist/evangelical, idea. many christians, especially in catholicism, don't subscribe to the idea of being saved, and also consider sinning when you know it's a sin to be the most grave of sins.

mythology gets complicated after 2000 years

9. You don't know much are Martin Luther and the Reformation, huh?

Give this a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgences

10. I dont think it is aslong as you dont get greedy, steal,hurt or cause others harm to get high.

11. i might still be in error, as i haven't read or studied christianity in several years, and i was mostly taught about it by one rabid catholic, but to clarify; what i should have said:

salvation is certainly a main (the main?) focus of christianity, both in catholicism and protestantism. however whenever i hear people refer to being saved today, it is usually in reference to giving your life to god, accepting christ, and you've got a ticket to heaven. this isn't, as i'm aware, the catholic version of salvation, or being saved, where once you have been saved you do have to really do much else (this varies, as everything in protestant religions, from one denomination to another. you may have to continually ask for forgiveness, worship more, try to be better more often, etc). whereas in catholicism you must go to through certain proscribed rituals (which i just found out from you are called indulgences) in order to be forgiven for every sin you commit.

anyway rastaman, is that kind of what was wrong with that post? that was kind of what i was trying to say, as it's been my understanding of christianity

12. No, you're right, for sure.

Thanks for the clarification! :) I think I just misunderstood you.

13. It depends on how you look at it. Some religions believe to treat your body as a temple; anything that could damage your health should not be processed through your body. Therefore, smoking anything would be a sin. But then so would be eating McDonald's, or Burger King. So who knows.

14. Eating red meat has carcinogens, is that a sin? I'm sure every christian has ate red meat at least once, therefore smoking is not a sin.

15. Whoa man, theology ain't a democracy.

Besides, he was proposing one interpretation (which does exist) but is definitely not accepted by all Christians.

Besides, even sunlight is a carcinogen.

16. Well I don't think it is because I don't believe in sinning or the bible or "god"

17. I couldn't care less, the idea of God and the good ole' book are pretty comical, and while some of the preachings are good to live by, religion has been the source of essentially all warfare since the beginning of time. That said, who cares if it is a sin in a certain book. The one I wrote has it as a way to facilitate open-mindedness, thus serving as a way to discover what you really believe, as opposed to what society believes.

18. I could kill a guy ask for forgivness kill a guy ask for forgivness and so on and on and it says we will be forgived. I think thats somewhat messed up but hey its kinda logical. Trust me man people have done much worse things than smoking pot.

19. As much as I hate to say it, I couldn't care less.

I'm a Christian, but it seems kinda weird that God would give us something that is NATURALLY grown, that he doesn't want us to use....

Meh, maybe that's just me.