Is bigger really more?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Markari, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Hi Folks,
    I’ve just harvested my second grow after obtaining a Mars Hydro 3000 and the difference is amazing! 1st grow was 10.5oz between 4 plants...just enough to get through the next grow. This time I have many top colas that probably weigh that much. I’ll post weights in a week or so after drying and trimming.
    What I’d like is people’s opinions about using 5 gallon pots vs 3 gallon. I just got a larger tent, 5 x 5 instead of 4 x 4, and I’m wondering if plants grow that much bigger. Enough to justify the extra costs of nuts and stuff. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

2. I am doing 7 gallon air pots and a 22 gallon pot. The 22 gallon was topped early and it is bigger than the rest. It does make a difference. And I feel like watering issues are kept to a minimum as well. I've been vegging for less than 30 days and my 7 gallon pots are maxed out with roots. Some of the most renound growers/seed suppliers recommend no less than 25 gallon pots.

• Like Like x 2
  3. When I had bigger tents, 5 gallon pots were my favorite. I felt that I got bigger plants, but whether the overall cost was worth it, I cannot say. I didn't think about it, as I am fortunate to have no budget restrictions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Depends on how much space you have. In a 5x5 room sure you can do 5 gallon pots.
    Yes you can veg each plant 2.5 foot tall and finish height 5 foot tall .
    But you would limited to less plants so will say 4 plants in that area .
    In 3 gallon pots i know i could cram 16 to 20 small plants in that area . Each plant will pull 2. to 4 per lack of lighting limits yield we all know. But in those bigger plants each will pull 8 to 16 ?? average will say is 12.
    So 12x4 48 total or . 18 small plants and average of will say 3 each plant ...... 54 ?
    so those small plants pull more then those larger plants . More surface area .
    I Would strongly suggest veg 6 to 8 inches tall top the plant flower them get tall 3 gallon pots . you might get 30 of them in the room !!!!!!! Always stay legal .
    edit veg 2.5 foot tall vs 8 inches tall saves you what a 3 weeks .? depending on your lighting .
    Well saving 2.5 to 3 weeks will guarantee at least 1 more harvest per year .

• Like Like x 2
  5. Aeration seems to be the key; from my experience successive upgrades during veg stage sparks rather than hinders root growth as well as foliage. I start in eight inch octagons then shift to 2 gal then up to 5 gal for flowering - this runs about two months veg and roughly the same on short hours.
    IMG_20200814_120517.jpg IMG_20200813_232128.jpg IMG_20200813_014629.jpg IMG_20200308_140128.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. I forgot I had taken this about a week ago. Three plants, two in back, one in front that I fimmed too early and just had 4 main branches instead of 6. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  7. Is this the 4x4 or the 5x5?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I like your last pic.. Looks like my style. Kinda ugly at first but man! I'm doing only four main stems.

9. lol. Nice!