Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is aluminum foil bad?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Lnb23, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Well i have been smoking bud for like 6 months and the people who i smoke with usually smoke out of this homemade gravity bong type thing and i love smoking out of it. ive tried blunts,joints,bongs,pipes,other homemade smoking devices but none of them get me as high as that does and it uses a very little amount of weed. well im wondering if i should stop because the bowl is made of alluminum foil and i heard that its bad for you and it can cause alzheimer's disease. so is it really that bad for you? Does the aluminum have to be burnt for it to be bad or just heated?

2. Not good to use foil, heated or burnt:smoke:

3. Heated is bad too? then how do people cook with it?

4. its probably not good to heat aluminum up, but the main problem, like when you are using cans and stuff, is the laquer on that shit. reallly really not good to smoke that

5. Most folks don't take hits off the food as it's cooking:rolleyes:

Inhaling :smoke:the fumes are where the hazard lies

6. Aluminum burns at 6920F, cigarette lighters don't get this hot. That being said, I have no knowledge of how foil is treated during production - so there could be all sorts of harmful things coating the foil.

I honestly don't think anybody really knows though. There' haven't been scientists doing experiments on the harmful effects of using aluminum foil as a smoking medium. :confused_2:

I would suggest getting a glass bowl for a bong and using that for your gravity bong.

7. Dude screens good, aluminum foil bad. It's bad ju ju. And with prolonged use can develop alzhiemers.... 80 percent sure on that.

8. They've done studies with the effects of aluminum foil used as a medium and the appearance of alzheimer's disease.

btw...use a wrench socket. its not as good as glass, but its a lot better than using aluminum.

9. Yes but I feel there is a chemical reaction taking place that wouldn't happen with true aluminum.

10. The reason it MAY cause alzheimer's is because the found that a lot of people with alzheimer's had a larger amount of aluminum in their bodies. So if you smoke off of aluminum you might get some in your body and maybe get alzheimer's.

11. I want that to make sense, it just cant.

12. You guys got any links/sources? Not being a dick, I'm really interested in this - but I've never been able to find any scientific studies based on it.

Aren't most sockets coated in chrome? I'd rather go with aluminum than chrome.

13. I wouldn't do it unless you really wanted to smoke. Have you ever gotten that "metallic" taste in your mouth that you get for like a day? I've had that happen to me a few times. I don't think its too good for you. But then again, how good is the aluminum in our deodorants we use. Can't be good for that to get into your body.:confused:

14. admittedly no I can provide a source and google just seems way to far away for me to care. BUT if you have ever tasted a hit from a socket and one from foil there is no comparrison. Chrome is way safer and tastes better.

15. Thats a good point, I've never thought much about that. My Speed Stick Pro Clean says it's 16.1% Aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly.
    WTF!!
    Kinda scary sounding....!!! :eek:

16. My real question is who posted this in seasoned tokers? If i chilled with my "seasoned" buddies and rolled out with a fucking bottle and foil on it, they'd give me some odd looks.

17. Check this out:

Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex And You!, page 1

18. WTF !!! That is some seriously scary shizzel right their...!!! :eek:

19. Not when you look at the findings of the actual study they cited for their info:

As regards smoking it, I wouldn't, personally. As was mentioned, who knows what they treat it with and what impurities it might contain?

No causal relationship has been established between aluminium and Alzheimer's, though, and the only way normal exposure to aluminium compounds (even smoking from aluminium foil) is going to cause neurological damage in the short term is if you're suffering from impaired kidney function.

I'm about Googled out now.

20. Aluminium foil is very bad to smoke.

Aluminium foil has a much lower burning and melting point than aluminium. The danger in Aluminium foil is the way it reacts to heat. Most foils aren't just thin layers of aluminium, they are in fact mixed with other compounds to improve:

• Cost to manufacture
    • Durability
    • Flexability
    • Manufacturing process
    Most Aluminium foil's have a matte paper side which burns even when heat is applied directly to the aluminium side. This will generate a smoke with a very fine layer of aluminium oxide. Some foil's also have a fine plastic coating. This is again to improve durabilitiy.

Aluminium can's are usually the same. In order to strengthen aluminium can's a small amound of manganese and magnesium is required. Although this amount is small, direct heat will still cause magnesium oxide to be generated. On top of that you have the ink which will also generate fumes when it burns. None of these aspects are good for your body.

Prognosis: Buy a bong! :smoke: