Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is a grinder really necessary?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by mokthraka, Sep 13, 2013.

1. I've been reading a bit around these forums and a lot of people have been saying you should use a grinder. I've never used a grinder, nor has anyone I know used them. 

2. You should definitely try using a grinder, start off with a cheap 2 dollar plastic grinder if you have to, but owning a nice grinding with a pollen catcher is the goal.

3. What exactly makes it better than smoking without grinding?  

4. It's not necessary, but it sure is nice as hell. Couldn't tell you the science behind the difference, but I sure feel it.

5. i have learned that the skin on ur fingers takes off some of the thc when you break it up.

6. No, a grinder is not a must have.

7. Gey a grinder ur hetb will burn better nd if u jav and if u hav a 3/4 chambet u can collect keife

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. This kind of question is very debatable. Some people believe it doesn't matter whether you use a grinder or not. Others prefer cutting it up with scissors, and even claim that by breaking it up with scissors, you lose the least amount of thc.  

For me I find a grinder essential for toking. 

9. I always use a grinder nowadays. 4 pc Sharpstone. But back before I had one I would just break it up by hand. I never really noticed a difference in the high but then again my tolerance was very low.
    I just grind some up and leave it in my grinder when I'm on the go. I feel like I'm able to pack more in my bowl if it's ground up.it's always nice to enjoy a little keif on top of a bowl every now and then.

Sent from my VS840PP using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I always use a grinder nowadays. 4 pc Sharpstone. But back before I had one I would just break it up by hand. I never really noticed a difference in the high but then again my tolerance was very low.
    I just grind some up and leave it in my grinder when I'm on the go. I feel like I'm able to pack more in my bowl if it's ground up.it's always nice to enjoy a little keif on top of a bowl every now and then.

11. I always use a grinder nowadays. 4 pc Sharpstone. But back before I had one I would just break it up by hand. I never really noticed a difference in the high but then again my tolerance was very low.

12. Grinders are like mechanical pencils. They are optional, not necessary, but cool as shit and helpful to have.

Grinders are good if you want to roll jay/blunts or have stuff to take with you on the go and ready for use. I think they also help with saving weed, because it breaks it down smaller so you don't end up using a lot of little nugs when you smoke. I Think grinders are a blessing, I have short nails too and I don't like how some weed is really sticky and makes my fingers sticky if I have to do it by hand so I rather grind it. A plastic one is fine, I have a big no-specific-brand 3 chamber one that holds about 3 gs in it. 

I say Grinders are great and helpful, but it's a matter of preference.

13. #13 G4Grassdetta, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
    Not necessary for the casual smoke but essential if you smoke consistently over a long period. It's a nice thing to have at the house but I still break up nugs by hand if I'm in a pinch.

It's worth it if you get sticky buds. Otherwise you're getting that on scissors/fingers. Why waste it? besides kief is nice. Fun to watch it collect and fun to smoke. After an 8th I can get a nice topping on a bowl and it's worth it for that alone.

Not to mention the storage of ground but short term and it isn't that smelly. and it SAVES TIME.

If you get buds less sticky buds or good shake or you have buds that are fluffy and not dense...then I wouldn't buy one, unless you smoke a lot. if I smoke less than an 8th/week Idm hand packing...otherwise it's just better to have a lot ground up to smoke and you can pack faster, if you want to leave in a hurry/smoke in a hurry etc.

14. Knife and cutting board has worked fine for me

15. I have one but don't use it unless I'm grinding bud for my MFLB. I can break the bud down just a little and stuff it in a bowl and be content. When my tolerance was high and I was vaping a lot of my bud it was a total pain in the ass to be breaking it up by hand so I went out and bought a grinder. I'd go with a larger one but that's just me. I bought a small one to begin with and found the amount of bud I needed ground was still a pain in the ass with the small grinder.

16. I have always asked this question as well, other alternatives could be scissors and hands. 

17. Started by using my hands. Eventually moved to scissors. And then to grinders. Been using a grinder for over 5 years now. And although there are times I still like to use scissors, I can't imagine not using a grinder daily ever again. Just makes life easier.

18. The only thing that's good in it is a pollen catcher.

19. Imo grinders or scissors are definitely better than hands. You'll end up losing precious trics if u use hands. All that sticky shit on your fingers is trics that's burst open. You'll also lose trics w/ grinders &scissors but u can get most of those back by collecting kief or scraping scissors for scissorhash. But like stated above it depends on how much u smoke. Jmo.