Iron's Method

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Ironhead, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes dropped the Micro down 4ml
    koolbloom is at 1ml still
    Thanks Brother I

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thanks bro! Your info is is excellent!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey Iron, thanks for this new breakdown.

I was wondering if you start your clones off with this method also like you do with seed?

• Like Like x 1
  4. @Ironhead I thought I had my springtail bug issue under control with the added sm-90, but i'm noticing them swimming on my runoff again. I'm gonna do some digging for a product that might flush them out for good, but I thought i'd give a heads up.
    Their numbers are significantly less compared to a million that would flood out last grow, but I can't let them take over again, they started nibbling roots and my leaves died off dramatically from it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. #105 STIGGY, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Now that sucks
    Are you in coco?

I have always thought Springtails were harmless if not beneficial they eat decaying matter
    But........................ If there is no decaying matter than maybe they might munch on those beautiful roots.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Yep, 50/50 coco perlite, using all the new methods products minus photosynthesis and nectar. I figured sm-90 would sweep out all the bugs, but springtails are like..."yummmy sm-90 taste just like it smells"

• Like Like x 3
  7. #107 STIGGY, Apr 10, 2016
    Do they look like tiny 1/16 inch fleas?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Yep, here's a pic I took from last grow where they got out of control. They're tiny, the pics are deceiving.

I've been reading Vinegar can take them out, just need to make sure I wont be harming the plant.

Wi1zNOp.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Everything I have been reading about them , is people say to leave them alone but I never had an infestation of them as bad as you.
    Are your plants in flower close to harvest or are they still in Veg
    if you are close to harvest I would leave them.
    I have seen by reading that they come in a lot of soil mix as well as EWC Poop

• Like Like x 4
  10. I just found this in the City
    Jerry111165 posted this
    What exactly are you trying to treat?

Not all insects are a bad thing, by any means. Not all bugs are pests. Springtails are "nutrient cyclers" which means they break down organic matter and turn it into forms which plants are able to use as food, or at the very least part of this step, as they make OM small enough that soil microbes (bacteria & fungus) can use as food.

Springtails are part of the bigger picture known as the Soil Food Web. Leave them alone!

GL

J

I would go by what he says

• Like Like x 5
  11. #111 12valve, Apr 10, 2016
    I've been vegging for about 2 months, about to flip.
    The info Jerry posted sounds good for soil, but what organic matter would these buggers be eating in coco, unless they eat coco? All that's left is roots to nibble. There's a chance they like roots excel, or micro/bloom, and feast on that each time I feed.
    I'm just basing this off my only plant with a massive springtail infestation almost dying in ironheads method, which has never happened to me before with a plant in this method.

• Like Like x 3
  12. That makes sense
    So this coco is fresh and never used with roots in there already
    You may be correct in the fact that all there is to eat are the roots
    But what about the coco, after all it is dead decaying plant matter when we look at it.
    I have never had them that bad Sorry.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Once the coco gets moist with plant food they could very well love that to eat, what a troubleshooting nightmare, lol. Thanks for the help Stigs.

Maybe i'll make a post in the bug section so I don't flood Iron's new thread with bugs issues.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lets see what Iron chimes in with
    He likes to talk Bugs

• Like Like x 3

15. Hey brotha!

I wonder if the beneficials in the Photosynthesis Plus would have an effect of the springtails? Could be an avenue for ya to explore.

Honestly have been doing the Bayer fruit and Veggie in late veg for all the plants. It seems to keep most of the bug related issues at bay. I know some people don't agree with that, but it is what it is. At most its in the plant for 45 days, so a dose in veg shouldn't leave any residuals if we are runnin 60ish day strains.

• Like Like x 3
  16. I decided to go with the 32 gallon trashcan for the Hempy. I'm gonna use this reveg Golden Goat that looks a little funky now, but should straighten up in a few days. Thanks for the idea guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  17. #117 STIGGY, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Better get another can to water it with LOL I wonder how many gallons will be needed
    we need a bigger one
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Have you tried diatomaceous earth, (food grade)? It works great on critters in my tomatoes, might work for your grow. It has no chemicals, just earth. Check it out to see if it might be something you would use! Good luck bro!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Go big or go home holy shit Iron bro lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  20. I Love it
    If I had more coco I would do one too

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.