Iraq

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by flower_child, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Lebanon truly is a place of sorrow right now.
    But I was watching the news just now, thinking of shaggy69's thread about lebanon and war and whatnot, and it hit me.

Lebanon has many casualties now, and it's heartwrenching to think about.
    But the other day I read that Iraqi civillian casualties had hit 6,000.

That is 6,000 people, just like you and I, that have died brutally, painfully, and sorrowfully, because of our country.

Our country cost the lives of over 6,000 innocent people. That's over 2 people a day.

Why haven't I heard anything about this? A little blurb scrolls by on the bottom of cnn. That's all. Do people just simply not give a flying fuck that so many innocent people are dying because of our country?

As I was typing this I decided to try and look up something about the casualties, since I'm not sure about that number; though I got it off yahoo. Anyway, here's a website.

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

*edit* with this little gem right here, I rest my case. http://www.iraqbodycount.org/press/pr13.php

2. Each one a life half-lived.

Each one a son or daughter,

Maybe a mother or father.

[​IMG]

Each one a universe curshed,

Each one a person, a human being,

Each on loved and hated,

Each one a number;

Each one a death of vanity.

[​IMG]

God forgive us for our sins.

[​IMG]

3. It is understandable

I watched discovery times channel last weekend and they showed all the battles and shit to get to Baghdad.

If you were drving along with a convoy - down streets lined with buildings- and an RPG flies past your head and machine guns start opening up fire from the buildings what would you do?

Some of the houses did have innocent people in them but when you don't know whose shooting you WITH RPG's you might just open up fire and hope for the best.

Im not agreeing with the reason we are there- And I still don't like the fact that innocent people are dying, BUT it is understandable

4. That's where your wrong.

These people die vain deaths, which perpetuate dissension and resistence, perpetuating the conflict. I understand the situation that these soldiers are in.

But the reality is that there should not have ever been a reason for the soldiers to go there. I don't blame the soldiers, I blame the administration. The corrupt "democratic" western and european governments who allowed this to be perpetrated, unjustifiably.

5. Not to mention that the majority of innocent civilian deaths are caused by larger rockets and misiles, not individual soldiers.

6. Aristotle believes the cycle begins with monarchy and ends in anarchy, but that it does not start anew. He also refers to democracy as the degenerate form of rule by the many and calls the virtuous form politeia, which is often translated as constitutional democracy.All the philosophers felt this cycling was harmful. The transitions would often be accompanied by violence and turmoil, and a good part of the cycle would be spent with the degenerate forms of government. Aristotle gave a number of options as to how the cycle could be halted or slowed:
    • Even the most minor changes to basic laws and constitutions must be opposed because over time the small changes will add up to a complete transformation.
    • In aristocracies and democracies the tenure of rulers must be kept very short to prevent them from becoming despots
    • External threats, real or imagined, preserve internal peace
    • The three government basic systems can be blended into one, taking the best elements of each
    • If any one individual gains too much power, be it political, monetary, or military he should be banished from the polis
    • Judges and magistrates must never accept money to make decisions
    • The middle class must be large
    • Most important to Aristotle in preserving a constitution is education: if all the citizens are aware of law, history, and the constitution they will endeavour to maintain a good government.