iPad???

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Mo King, May 20, 2010.

1. Don't really need a laptop, I have an incredible comp that I love.
    I'm not purchasing my ipad to do all my workloads on the internet and to depend on.
    It's a fun little novelty that can do a lot of things, and different people look for different things in a device. Regardless of what anyone says, I'm sure I'm going to get some enjoyment from it over the years.

2. Please then at least wait for 2nd gen. You can be all hip and get that before anyone. Instead of getting an ipad now, and saying "damn! flash would have been sweet to have!"

3. Haha, I went to the mall blitzed with two friends today, and tried to play a flash game on the iPad. Nothing loaded (obviously), so I took a picture of the screen and sent it to my Windows-loving, Apple-hating friend saying "The iPad: Flash games at their best." I was so fucking high hahah

4. I have 2 ipads one at home and one at work. I find them to be very handy and useful in my day to day life. I also have an Iphone and 4 Ipods.

5. #25 Superjoint, May 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2010
    I have 4 ipads, one at work, one in the bathroom and 2 just laying around as the other two break down, I have three Iphones, 2 macbooks pro and 44 Ipods, and have no idea how many power adapters I have for those :p als0 velcro and the ipod are the best thing ever invented ;-)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTSDPKktbUk]YouTube - The iPad and Velcro, a Match Made in Heaven [HD][/ame]

6. idk if this is an option but i would wait until the second version comes out.

it wil be better and they will add a bunch of new features and shit i always find the first version a prototype thats released to the public so it can be tested out. so i would wait till the second version comes out

it might be cheaper to if you wait

7. I'd wait a while dude.

Wait and see what the market churns out in response to the iPad. Tech companies are scrambling to come up with a competitor. For instance, the ExoPC, a slate with a larger screen than the iPad, hardware-accelerated HD video playback, Flash support, an SD storage slot, and it runs plain old Windows (with an optional special touchscreen interface) so you can run all your normal apps on it without needing a special okay from Apple or Microsoft or whoever, is expected to come out sometime in September.

ExoPC Slate hands-on -- Engadget

At the very least don't be among the first to buy the first generation of a new product. Let them work out the kinks in the first generation and see what iPad gen 2 looks like.

8. Looks awesome, and sounds like they'll be releasing quite a bit more features for the first generation model than Apple did for the iPad... surprise, surprise.

9. Okay, I'm tired of people comparing the iPad to their laptop, discovering that their laptop is more powerful, and therefore ripping on the iPad as underpowered garbage. It was never meant to replace a desktop or even a laptop. It's meant to be what netbooks should have been (though I love my netbook anyway). So please, stop complaining that it won't run Microsoft Office, World of Warcraft, or Crysis. It's a tablet!

Oh, and Adobe is still working on Flash for mobile platforms; NO mobile operating system has Flash yet, so it is no worse nor better than others in that respect. Yes, you can get a tablet that runs full Windows. But it runs painfully slow--making Flash next to useless anyway--with an interface never designed for the tablet, and have been known to cause cancer. Thank you. I may have made up the part about cancer.

10. Actually if you look at the video of the ExoPC it runs Windows fairly snappily, and it has a special touch interface. The normal Windows UI is optional.

And it has two USB ports and an HDMI port so if you felt like it you could plug in a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

11. I did some research on the kind of features that a "2nd gen" would have (even tho technically this is the 2nd gen since the launch ipad had quite a few bugs) and none of them are really all that necessary or worth waiting for. And I can definitely live without flash. My iPad should be here this week ;)
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

12. Yeah uhhh...

The thing is it was marketed directly against netbooks and small laptops. Just sayin'