Interpreting pH readings

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by FreeRadical, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Hello people,

Well, it might sound dumb, but bear with me....

When I test the pH of runoff water, the water itself comes out yellow-orange coloured from the bottom of the pot. I add the testing agent, and the water turns green or green with a bit of yellow (according to the kit chart, it means pH of between 6.5 and 7.0). Now I'm using The "pH Test Indicator" from General Hydroponics Europe, it says "Wide spectrum, 4.0 to 8.5".

The colour of my runoff is like the colour the test would yield with a pH of 4-5. So I'm wondering - how reliable are my pH readings? What couuld I do to make them more reliable?

Thanks,
    FR.

2. Well.

Anyway, I've got a very good supply of distilled water from my AC, and its pH is almost 1.5 points lower than my tap water (it's around ~7.2, according to my very very accurate measuring kit), so I think this might improve my soil pH conditions.

FR.

3. #3 13th Relic, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2009
    I would go by the color of your ph solution not the color of the water. I have checked my water before and even though the color is the final color i want when i add the test solution it comes up a little high, i fix the water as needed.

The color the water is after you add the solution, yellow green blue etc... not the color your water is before you add the ph solution. If your asking you should trust your PH indicator then i would say yes trust it. if thats not what your asking then ignore me cuz i am lost in space somewhere.

4. I don't understand what you're saying.